Stick on vinyl tiles on OSB

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Stick on vinyl tiles on OSB

Postby MADTRAPPER » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:44 pm

Anybody do tiles on top of OSB board. How does it hold up. These r just the stick on type

Sent from my iPhone while sitting on toilet.
MADTRAPPER
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Stick on vinyl tiles on OSB

Postby MADTRAPPER » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:26 pm

Should the floor be primed. Thanks

MADTRAPPER
Teardrop Advisor

Postby troubleScottie » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:56 pm

I personally never trusted self-sticking adhesive. Maybe it is better now.

With the voids in the OSB, you might get some issues -- sags, drops in the tile, hole like depressions. Not the end of the earth, but not perfect.

As stated before, prime the surface.

One plan is to use real vinyl tile adhesive -- spread a very thin layer, under 1/8", the smallest v-notch spreader. It will fill the voids and the tile will stick (better). The adhesive comes in small buckets - 1 qt ~$4, 1 gal ~$13, 4 gal. All premixed, ready to spread. A very nice product. A bit of solvent smell, but it dissipates quickly.

Having said that, why not use real vinyl tiles. About 2x the price ($1.50 per sq ft) but we are really talking about a small area.

An alternative is the new vinyl tiles in the box stores right now -- like this HD tile, TrafficMASTER 6 in. x 36 in. Cherry Resilient Vinyl Plank Flooring (24 sq. ft. / case). Very pretty, very thick with a image layer on top, water resistant. I would call it an engineered vinyl tile, much like the engineered laminate tiles. This is a floating tile system. They even have locking edges. No adhesive. This might be bad news -- it wants 0.5 inch around the edges for expansion. In addition, you have to buy a box at a time.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:58 pm

I've never found the self stick materials to stick very well. That said I have not tried to use it for 20 years or so, so maybe it is better today. maybe not.... last year a friens tried a self stick flooring in his schoolie conversion. He ended up having to use standard vinyl adhesive to make it stay down.

Can you use roll vinyl? Glue that down and build on top of it? Or just sand the OSB and paint it or even clear coat it with a floor finish?
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:30 am

We bought some “vinyl” roll flooring from Home depot , turned out it was a thin Vinyl surface layer , and then some fibrous backing that resembled recycled paper , and HELD MOISTURE , not only that, it wicked the moisture across the floor ... :o Please check out what you buy and if it has a gray paper -like backing , don’t buy it ... not if you live in a damp area anyway ... Just saying ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby booyah » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:44 am

I did peel and stick on tiles on my build and they are doing well two years later so far.

No added adhesive, just a decent looking peel and stick from Home Depot. I did it on the C side of CDX though, not OSB, so your mileage may vary
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby MADTRAPPER » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:41 am

booyah wrote:I did peel and stick on tiles on my build and they are doing well two years later so far.

No added adhesive, just a decent looking peel and stick from Home Depot. I did it on the C side of CDX though, not OSB, so your mileage may vary
. Thanks did u prim it. Buy mine from home too they tell me to prime the OSb

MADTRAPPER
Teardrop Advisor

Postby booyah » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:18 am

I did not
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby Tomterrific » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:26 pm

My plywood flood had poly on it. I used found commercial carpet tiles to carpet the floor. A water jug leaked on a delayed trip. The water got under the carpet tile through the seams and was trapped! I could hose out the polyurethane covered plywood floor with no damage and a fast dry but having the moisture trapped under the carpet tiles meant there was some damage. The carpet tiles are gone and bare varnished plywood is fine. I'm thinking a fancy paint job would be best if I wanted a better look but when we camp there is a mattress over the floor anyway.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby gudmund » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:43 pm

I agree - after the builder of my trailer used vinyl on the floor of my trailer when it was built, I now wish NOTHING had been put on the floor to cover-up the wood used for the floor!! Yes, I had some water leaks and was always keeping check to clean up the water when it was present along with the constant looking for the leaks - it always got cleaned up! along with the moisture removing chems being used withthe removal of the matrass for storage. Well, for what good it did - it just held the moisture in between that got thought and what finally tells you that you have a problem is when you see the vinyl bubble-up/lifting! Well, let me tell you - when you see the vinyl lifting, it's TOO late!! You have major WATER DAMAGE!! I have come to the conclusion that the only purpose for using vinyl to cover the floor is to make it look "pretty" before you cover it up with a matrass!! It is better to leave it uncovered after the wood is coated with the paint/poly. It will be more obvious if and when there could be a problem. Coat it but don't cover it- you could regret it!!!
gudmund
500 Club

Postby MADTRAPPER » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:01 pm

They r telling me to use a oil paint sealer. Let it dry well. Stick on the tiles. Don't know why they put osb board to begin with. Get what u pay for I guess. When it lefts il change it to 3/4 teated plywood. Thanks for all the come backs.

MADTRAPPER
Teardrop Advisor

Postby gudmund » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:38 pm

MADTRPPER - I think you hit on the head - cost!! it is SO MUCH cheaper than plywood and have seen it used in a lot of trailers. Just to let you know, years ago (1989-over 27+ years so far) I built a 8x12 shed here at my house and I used a layer of strand(OSB) board on top of the plywood layer for my floor - well I painted it with a couple coats of 'epoxy' paint back than and today, all of those years later - it is still holding up great!! It has never has been re-coated and still looks good in the enter-way where all of the foot traffic has been. If you do use it, just make sure you let it dry and "air-e-ate" so it has time to get the smells out of there, which is what I had to do a few months ago when I used PU truck "Rhino" liner bed paint(and it has epoxy in it) to fill and cover the water-damaged floor area (and yes, it had been covered with vinyl when new) in the back/kitchen area of my teardrop - yes it took some time airing out!! but seems to be working so far.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby MADTRAPPER » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:43 pm

Thanks . If I can undercoat from the bottom yet might last longer!

MADTRAPPER
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dancam » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:02 pm

To bring this up again, i was thinking of buying these self adhesive vynel tiles tonight and installing tomorrow. I have pmf over plywood on my floor but its very rough and hard to clean. I could roll more paint on till its smooth but i would like it to be easier to wash and more durable surface. Has to be thin, light and cheap. So is it a good option or would something else be better?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Return to General Discussion