New favourite tool - a cordless router

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

New favourite tool - a cordless router

Postby edgeau » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:13 am

After much debate with myself I picked up a Ryobi cordless router. http://www.ryobi.com.au/products/detail ... er-trimmer
Wow what a great tool! It is quiet enough that I can work at night without annoying the neighbours. A top bearing trim bit is magic for reproducing a copy of something. I am even thinking of using this in some situations I would normally grab the jigsaw.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Re: New favourite tool - a cordless router

Postby booyah » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:17 am

So in the US we have a slightly different version

https://www.ryobitools.com/power-tools/ ... alm-router

Can I ask you what you've used it on? How aggressive have you been. I was looking at it kinda as a gimmick, maybe a laminate trimmer but since you have one could you give us a good idea of its real capabilities?

Can you use that template bit to cut something out of 1/2" ply? How about a 1x6?
How does it do with a round over bit?

Very interested in this, I have a large number of their 18v stuff, and would love to hear more.
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby edgeau » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:25 pm

So far I have rebated some Pine trim and started on my template material which is 2mm MDF. I will soon use it on the 12mm (1/2 inch in your measurements) hardwood ply for the walls. I'll post back how that goes but I am confident it will handle the job.

edgeau
500 Club

Postby elcam84 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:48 am

I have been looking at the Ridgid cordless trim router. It's a little beefier than the ryobi one (both made by tti though) I'm a woodworker and tired of fighting cords especially when it's just a quick round over etc.
Oh I also picked up the ridgid 18v vacuum. It's extremely handy and works well.

Not a big fan of ryobi cordless as being an electrician I see guys buy those tools and the batteries don't last near as long as every other brand and their plastic has no glass fiber in it. Have seen brand new impact drivers break in half just above the handle at the base of the motor. That said there are a couple tools in the ryobi line that are exclusive to them or just much cheaper and would do what I want and would like to buy but I don't want yet another brand of battery and charger. (Have at least 4 now)

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby gudmund » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:39 pm

F Y I: Ryobi and Ridged are made by the same company - "One World Technologies", Ridged is there top line product and Ryobi is their lower $$ed items. Ridged has their "life" time warranty and Ryobi usually with a 3 year warranty. Some of there tool items have interchangeable tool attachments - example Ryobi's Job-plus Multi-tool uses Ridged tool-heads. Being I am not a person who uses these tools "all of the time", I am and have had very good luck with the Ryobi line of tools along with them being so compatible with their 'old' blue line of tools from years ago - I think they are great!! (their Lithium battery's work with both - the old Blue Ni-cad stuff and and their newer Yellow Lithium tools!!) The other thing I like is them having so many tools/items that they offer that I can use camping - radio, mini-vac, tire air-compressor, tire air wrench, flash-lites, fans, etc. etc. - along with them being the only one that has a in-car battery charger being sold that allows me to charge my batteries when on the road!! (still waiting for the Ryobi batteryed invertor I suggested to them so I can use my blender when in the woods with no power!! May have to make my own) :thinking:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:53 am

OK I have used it on the 12mm marine ply and it goes great guns.
I did have a stuff up but it was not the tool. A combination of inexperienced and a poor quality trim bit. My template is very thin only 2 or 3 mm. Add to this there is a small gap between the bearing and blades. Thus I had a smidge of ply right where the template finishes and ply begins that was not cut but torn through.
I should have just sanded it but I fiddled with the height of the bit to take a second pass. BAD move. The bearing has some play on the shaft and it rode up over the template!

Of course this will no longer be a problem if I use the first wall as a template for the second... Except the router will now faithfully follow the mistake.

I have tried filling the gaps with putty so I can cut the next one true...

edgeau
500 Club

I did have a stuff up but it was not the tool. A combination of inexperienced and a poor quality trim bit. My template is very thin only 2 or 3 mm. Add to this there is a small gap between the bearing and blades. Thus I had a smidge of ply right where the template finishes and ply begins that was not cut but torn through.
I should have just sanded it but I fiddled with the height of the bit to take a second pass. BAD move. The bearing has some play on the shaft and it rode up over the template!

Of course this will no longer be a problem if I use the first wall as a template for the second... Except the router will now faithfully follow the mistake.

edgeau
500 Club

edgeau
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:08 am

Another option, if the putty doesn't work to your liking, if appearance is not such a concern (and it will be covered by skin, not a woodie) would be to cut out a slightly larger section, glue in a dutchman/patch piece, and recut the profile.

I had a few places on my build where I felt the integrity of having a solid patch/repair won out over just using filler. Not saying that there is anything wrong with filler... I have lots of it in my build... just offering an alternate solution.
8)
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby elcam84 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:13 am

gudmund wrote:F Y I: Ryobi and Ridged are made by the same company - "One World Technologies", Ridged is there top line product and Ryobi is their lower $$ed items. Ridged has their "life" time warranty and Ryobi usually with a 3 year warranty. Some of there tool items have interchangeable tool attachments - example Ryobi's Job-plus Multi-tool uses Ridged tool-heads. Being I am not a person who uses these tools "all of the time", I am and have had very good luck with the Ryobi line of tools along with them being so compatible with their 'old' blue line of tools from years ago - I think they are great!! (their Lithium battery's work with both - the old Blue Ni-cad stuff and and their newer Yellow Lithium tools!!) The other thing I like is them having so many tools/items that they offer that I can use camping - radio, mini-vac, tire air-compressor, tire air wrench, flash-lites, fans, etc. etc. - along with them being the only one that has a in-car battery charger being sold that allows me to charge my batteries when on the road!! (still waiting for the Ryobi batteryed invertor I suggested to them so I can use my blender when in the woods with no power!! May have to make my own) :thinking:

Actually Milwaukee is their top brand. They are all owned by TTI (tech tronic industries) . A few items are shared from ryobi to ridgid but not much. The job max is one and so is the 5" random orbit sander which was basically the same tool with different battery attachment.

The plastic is like I said not fiberglass filled like the ridgid though. Also the cells used in the ryobi batteries are of a lesser spec. Milwaukee is still left basically on its own to design(still in the US) their tools which is a good thing. Though some things have spilled over into the other lines.

The ryobi stuff is great homeowner grade stuff but not for commercial use. The ridgid is better but has its downsides. I have cordless from most of the brands but mostly milwaukee and I'm a big fan of the 12v line.
Looking at getting the bosch 12v cordless jig saw. The milwaukee one is sad in comparison. I don't have any of their batteries though. But I may just modify the tool to use the milwaukee batteries. Milwaukee makes the 12v batteries for bosch as well as a few others and they just change the case a little and move the terminals a little. Also skil is part of bosch and theirs are easy to modify as the polarity is flipped on the milwaukee. Also the bosch 12v sawsall is the milwaukee in bosch blue.

Oh and the ridgid lifetime service agreement can be a royal pain to use. You have to take in the whole kit just to have a drill fixed. If you are missing a battery they will not repair it. They check the numbers on all the tools before repair. It's a loophole to get out of fixing it. Also they had started doing repairs at HDs that have a tool rental but they have stopped doing battery exchanges there. Now you have to call ridgid and go through their fun...
So don't buy ridgid just for the LSA .

But really buy the line of tools that has what you want at the price you want to pay. I don't like some of the m12 tools as a few are underpowered but the rest of the line makes up for it.

I have a friend that is a milwaukee rep so lots of information from him.

elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby gudmund » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:07 pm

the bottom line on almost ALL of these tools, NO matter what brand it is: Made in China
gudmund
500 Club

Postby elcam84 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:13 pm

gudmund wrote:the bottom line on almost ALL of these tools, NO matter what brand it is: Made in China

True. Though I do have a couple metabo made in Germany that are quite good. Ridgid used to sell a the 6" sander 2610 which was a metabo in drag but it was replaced with a made in China version the 2611. There were some improvements over the 2610 but not quite built as well. Won't mention my thoughts on the f word tools.

elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby gudmund » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:53 pm

like the B&D palm sander and jig saw I bought 25+ years ago - both made in England. Today B&D is part of Stanley and is ALL cheap, price line (like Ryobi) made in China (they had been part of DeWalt, which I don't know if they still are being there Stanley connection now) Makita had all been made in Japan years ago but is now almost China made (same with camera Nikon)
gudmund
500 Club

Postby elcam84 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:01 pm

gudmund wrote:like the B&D palm sander and jig saw I bought 25+ years ago - both made in England. Today B&D is part of Stanley and is ALL cheap, price line (like Ryobi) made in China (they had been part of DeWalt, which I don't know if they still are being there Stanley connection now) Makita had all been made in Japan years ago but is now almost China made (same with camera Nikon)

Reminds me of the ELU router I had that was made in england. They were sold in yellow by dewalt up until about 10 years ago or so. Very good tool but I lost it when the trailer was stolen while finishing up building a house. (Like a habitat for humanity house)

elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby booyah » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:35 pm

Pretty sweet.

Didnt think it would do 1/2"
I may have to pick one up. At the price tag it seems like a winner.

For what its worth, I wasnt trying to get into a "My tools are better" thread. I will say the old ryobi nicads definitly used poorer cells. The current gen lithium though use the same samsung cells as the higher price brands. http://toolboyworld.com/eBay/Ryobi_Batt_Rebuild.htm

For my uses the bright green stuff works as well as my friends red, and the other guys yellow, but I have a lot more variety, and have paid less. Win for me :thumbsup:

Not saying some of their stuff isn't crap, but pick the right stuff and it is pretty dang nice especially when price is figured in.

Snapped off impacts though I've never heard or seen. I have their older impact driver (1500in/lbs p234g) and older impact wrench (200ft/lb p260) and both have been very solid tools and have been worked often and hard.
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion