Big cost increase for Senior Parks Pass coming soon

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Big cost increase for Senior Parks Pass coming soon

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:35 pm

"What I'm saying is that generally the patrons at parks are seniors and when the majority of your customers are getting a discount you have to increase the price for everyone else. "

This sounds like private business thinking and in my experience with the National Parks, USFS, etc., I've never had any feeling they were run like a business or that there was any relationship tieing permit fees and permit costs together. This current change seems similar. A congressperson wanted money for a pet something - no doubt something a major donor favored - so looked around to see what he could get money from.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:00 pm

it HAS NOT gone up in price yet!!! it is still $10. for a lifetime pass for anyone over 62. I have a couple friends that work for the North Cascades National Park here in Washington that were complaining to me the other day that they, being younger than I (after all the years of them letting me know I was older than them) were probably not going to be able to get theirs at $10 by the time they reach 62 in 2019 being it looks like the lifetime pass would be going up in price sometime soon, I thought after reading this forum months back that they had gone up the first of this year (2017) - well after hearing them, I went on line today and found out the price HAS NOT up yet!!!! So if you are 62 or older and you had not gotten yours yet, you still have time, so get into one of the national park offices and get your lifetime pass for $10 still - $20 if you do it by mail !!!!!! It's a GOOD deal!! :thumbsup:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby mary and bob » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:37 pm

deleted
Last edited by mary and bob on Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby mustangcats » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:35 pm

According to both the nps.gov and recreation.gov websites, the cost of the lifetime senior pass is still $10. The nps.gov website did mention they have experienced a big increase in the sale of those passes (wonder why?) and it takes about 6 weeks to issue them through the mail. They also mentioned that they don't expect any changes to the program or pricing for at least several months. I'll probably miss out on the "bargain of a lifetime" since I won't be eligible for another year and a half. :cry:
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:46 pm

Visit Canada this year. It's their 150th birthday and all National Parks are free all year. Guess where we are?
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby gudmund » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:33 pm

just left the site I looked at a couple days ago and it is still showing $10 for a lifetime pass for anyone over 62 years old. Typed in National Park Lifetime Pass and google popped up a few sites that can be checked out. And like I said. my two friends work at the North Cascades National Park head office and they informed me that they are still selling the Lifetime Passes for seniors for $10. She is the Park Superintendent's secretary and has been for the last 15+ years and is the one that handles money's taken in for fee's and business dealings for the park service. She stated it has not gone up yet but it will be one of these days soon, they just have not been told yet!!!
gudmund
500 Club

Postby robfisher » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:17 pm

I was in Olympic National Park a couple weeks back. The Ranger on duty told me the senior pass price increase goes into effect October 1, 2017. I don't qualify until October 30th. I've been staying alive for the moment I could get my $10 pass for over 20 years. I even had reservations at the Grand Canyon for November 1, 2017 since last November. But I'm a month too late. I canceled my reservations and I guess I will just go ahead and die. There is not much to live for now.
robfisher
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby gudmund » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:24 am

I will keep tabs on the start date info with my friends - maybe the date will slide a bit more, I would think the end/first of the year would be a better time if it is meant to be. Like I said, my friends that work for the park are fuming over the whole thing also, being they both turn 62 in May/June of 2018 - I keep telling them, it serves them right after all of the years of them rubbing it in that they both are 2 years younger than me. (we, 4 of us -the 2 sisters from Minn., He is from Mich. and I from Wash. met in the US Army 74/77 when stationed in Augsburg, Germany working for the NSA eves-dropping on the Russians/East Germans 24/7 during the cold war - 1 sister was into morris-code listening, the other Russian/German linguist and both of us were site-security MPs. We all did our time and went home with the two getting married after I left, than in 82 I found him when I was in the Army reserves at the front gate of McCord Air Force Base here in Wash. after he had rejoined the service. When he retired in 99 they moved here and live 2 lots over from me today - within 140 ft) Take care. :)
gudmund
500 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:01 am

They do take a while to get on-line. I applied in early March and just checked. My application is still pending but they do have it. I waited 70+ years to get it, another bit will not hurt. :shock: :roll:
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:49 am

While not true of the major campgrounds like Yellowstone or Yosemite, the senior pass helps some of the lesser known parks in the same way that afternoon discounts help theaters...: Because most seniors 62 and over retire from work, they often are in the campground when younger people aren't...during the work week; and also, when schools are in session. Just saying.... :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby minstrel » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:50 pm

I just got my pass...had been avoiding National Parks last year, knowing that I would be 62 in 2017! It is still $10.00, but is supposed to go up to $80.00 before the end of the year. Still a great deal even for $80.00....go to 3 National Parks and you've paid for the pass. I have a lake that is 3.5 miles from my home on National Forest land. Can go for free vs. $2.00 parking fee. I've paid for my pass many times over as I try and go walk my dog there most every day. Beautiful. :D
Liz
minstrel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby gudmund » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:24 pm

per what "Robfisher" said after speaking to a ranger and after speaking to my friend that works for the Park's service, 1 Oct is looking like it could be the date due to that being the budget end/start date for the federal government every year.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:53 am

Mine arrived on Friday. I applied in early March. :applause: :beer:
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:08 pm

Good for all those that can get them. If you haven't and are "of age", do it. My Dad got his years ago and has used it a few times. Sadly, his and Mom's health and mobility issues mean they won't use it mush at all. I was born 10 years too late to get the big bargain, but you can bet I'll get mine whatever the cost as soon as I can.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:13 pm

The price increase goes into effect August 27th.

That's according to the USGS website, the NPS website, and the USFS site.

I bought one three years ago and now have a spare... there is no database where you can ask for a duplicate.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion