Goodby, my three teardrops

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Goodby, my three teardrops

Postby Roly Nelson » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:24 pm

After 15 years of travel, and 35,000 miles of crosscountry trips, it is finally time for me to bid goodby to my teardrop outings and sadly proclaim that I am just getting too old to exert the effort to prepare the TDs, load them with provisions, go through the pre-camping check list and struggle to get them hooked up and ready for miles of travel on the busy highways. At 85 years of age, I am beguining to understand that my reaction time is not as it was when I was 18, and therefore, pulling a trailer for hundreds of miles, may not be the safest thing for an old-timer to do. My little 8 foot woody has served me well, and I have enjoyed all of the fun times I have had, playing jokes on the on-lookers with my wooden satelite dish, wooden flip-down Sony Plasma TV, (which doesn't do a thing), and all of the other goofy wooden stuff I have had fun with, pranking unsuspecting visitors and watching their reaction, especially when my wooden toaster throws a wooden slice of bread 2 feets in the air, as if I didn't expect it.

The sleek and speedy steath fighter teardrop, has been a joy to travel in, slipping along with little resistance behind my 4 cylinder Chevy Cruse, allowing me to check out the moon and stars through the 5 canopy windows overhead while comfortably in bed. Lifting the twin rudders has always surprised visitors, when they see the galley which is handy for preparing easy meals, from such an unsuspected location. The doggy door, opened from the inside, has allowed dog potty calls in the middle of the night, without me having to even get up. I am sure going to miss the comfortable 7 foot long bed and the feeling of sleeping in the cockpit of a combat fighter/bomber.

My little 245 pound, 6 foot 1/4 Nelson Stacker, which is my favorite, is snuggled up against the inside of the garage wall, standing up on end, taking less than 4 feet of space, gathering dust. Camping in this little rig, became even more enjoyable after I added a trolley top with porthole windows and a full/size sun roof. Hooking it up is no problem, since the tongue weight is less than 25 lbs, and it tracks like it isn't even back there. The hidden galley surprises many, and is functionable along with the clip/on side table, which holds the campstove, cooler and stuff like that, which keeps the bacon grease from getting on the galley cabinet doors.

Sadly, I am going to have to get rid of all of the 3 tears, since I have relocated to my sweetheart's home, which just doesn't have the enclosed storage area required to keep my special play-things out of the weather, high and dry. So, it's hello, oldtimers life and on into the next phase of happy retired life. Now if you happen to realize that this has been written on April Fool's day, don't get the wrong idea, as in the past years, when I lied about goofy events that never took place. This is on the level and every word is true. I love teardropping, will miss my many TD friends and hope all is well and happy with all that I have known and enjoyed.
:( :thumbdown: :cry: With much love, Roly, the little ol woody teardrop guy in So Calif.
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Re: Goodby, my three teardrops

Postby gudmund » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:47 am

:thinking: :roll: :thinking: :NC :NC :NC :NC :NC :NC :thinking: ???????????? :NC
gudmund
500 Club

Postby cuyeda » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:18 am

NOooooo! Tell us it ain't so! Always enjoyed seeing you at the gatherings. How much for the bomber trailer? :lol:
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:33 am

Roly's annual April Fools stories once again have enough story telling truthiness for pulling the legs of the unwary! :?
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:02 am

April Fool's story or knot, it is the wise one who when dealt the cards plays them to his/her best advantage within reasonable safety & pleasurable limits

knowing that when the safety cards are dealt, responding in a responsible manner is knot always an easy hand to play

Roly thanks for the message and if this isn't an AF story your absence will be noted w/ :(

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby BobBash » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:08 am

Definitely an Aprils fool joke , no other reason to post it on April 1st . Just my two cents .............. :) Enjoy your Teardrops Roly .. !!!
BobBash
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lacustom » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:50 am

Roly Nelson wrote:After 15 years of travel, and 35,000 miles of crosscountry trips, it is finally time for me to bid goodby to my teardrop outings and sadly proclaim that I am just getting too old to exert the effort to prepare the TDs, load them with provisions, go through the pre-camping check list and struggle to get them hooked up and ready for miles of travel on the busy highways. At 85 years of age, I am beguining to understand that my reaction time is not as it was when I was 18, and therefore, pulling a trailer for hundreds of miles, may not be the safest thing for an old-timer to do. My little 8 foot woody has served me well, and I have enjoyed all of the fun times I have had, playing jokes on the on-lookers with my wooden satelite dish, wooden flip-down Sony Plasma TV, (which doesn't do a thing), and all of the other goofy wooden stuff I have had fun with, pranking unsuspecting visitors and watching their reaction, especially when my wooden toaster throws a wooden slice of bread 2 feets in the air, as if I didn't expect it.

The sleek and speedy steath fighter teardrop, has been a joy to travel in, slipping along with little resistance behind my 4 cylinder Chevy Cruse, allowing me to check out the moon and stars through the 5 canopy windows overhead while comfortably in bed. Lifting the twin rudders has always surprised visitors, when they see the galley which is handy for preparing easy meals, from such an unsuspected location. The doggy door, opened from the inside, has allowed dog potty calls in the middle of the night, without me having to even get up. I am sure going to miss the comfortable 7 foot long bed and the feeling of sleeping in the cockpit of a combat fighter/bomber.

My little 245 pound, 6 foot 1/4 Nelson Stacker, which is my favorite, is snuggled up against the inside of the garage wall, standing up on end, taking less than 4 feet of space, gathering dust. Camping in this little rig, became even more enjoyable after I added a trolley top with porthole windows and a full/size sun roof. Hooking it up is no problem, since the tongue weight is less than 25 lbs, and it tracks like it isn't even back there. The hidden galley surprises many, and is functionable along with the clip/on side table, which holds the campstove, cooler and stuff like that, which keeps the bacon grease from getting on the galley cabinet doors.

Sadly, I am going to have to get rid of all of the 3 tears, since I have relocated to my sweetheart's home, which just doesn't have the enclosed storage area required to keep my special play-things out of the weather, high and dry. So, it's hello, oldtimers life and on into the next phase of happy retired life. Now if you happen to realize that this has been written on April Fool's day, don't get the wrong idea, as in the past years, when I lied about goofy events that never took place. This is on the level and every word is true. I love teardropping, will miss my many TD friends and hope all is well and happy with all that I have known and enjoyed.
:( :thumbdown: :cry: With much love, Roly, the little ol woody teardrop guy in So Calif.

I would love to see Picts of the Fighter camper Are they posted somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lou Piscitelli
If you can dream it ,we can build it!
lacustom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:08 am

It's just a pack of lies from the #1 chain yanker.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Vedette » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:16 am

Roly's Woody did have a For Sale sign on it at Lake Paris Gathering last weekend. :thinking:
And, after talking to him last week about life.....what he is saying may not be just one of his "Great" April fools stories.
Unless he was setting me up too?? :roll:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Roly Nelson » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:37 pm

Oops, I guess posting comments about my teardrops without explaining my minor health ailment, should not have been done on April Fool's day. My condition is called neuropathy, creating loss of feelings in the bottom of my feet, and comes and goes when least expected. Often walking even for short distances, brings it on and I gotta sit down quickly. Regarding my post, sometimes my goofy humor bites me in the butt, and I'm sorry to have mislead anyone. I will post my teardrops for sale in the correct location here on the board. First I must determine their fair value and post their various worthwhile points, along with the goofy stuff. Parting with my custom built, one-of-a-kind toys, will be difficult, but memories of the many fun-fill gatherings and the friends I have made, will not be forgotten. Thank all of you for your understanding. Now, enjoy those teardrops as long as you can.
:NC 1/2 Nelson Roly ~~(written on April 2nd, so this is no joke) :)
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby grant whipp » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:10 pm

Roly, my Friend ...
... I know that you're not pulling our legs (much ;) ), 'cause I'm not so old that I can't remember a couple of our last conversations! I do have to say, however, that it will be hard to imagine Southwest gatherings without you and one of your magnificent creations! You, Sir, have been the quintessential Ambassador of Teardropping for the last 15 years, and speaking strictly personally for myself, it has been an extreme honor and pleasure to count you as one of my very best Friends for that same amount of time! I am also very pleased to know that you have found a sweet & loving woman to keep you out of trouble ... :D ... and I wish you both all the best that you richly deserve! Take care, my Friend, and know that next time that we find ourselves close to your neighborhood (you know, less 100 miles ... :lol: ...!), we will definitely stop in for a nice long visit! As always ...
CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:02 am

Roly, I'm sorry to hear that you are having to give up teardropping. I have always enjoyed your company, and most of all your sense of humor. I trust that Neuropathy does not affect that at all ;-)

Best wishes always, and I hope to see you again sometime down the road.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Greg M » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:54 am

Roly, I hate the thought of you packing it in. You're who I want to be in another forty years. Please, please, please don't leave us here without your wisdom and humour. After all; finding a new girlfriend in your eighties has to be an inspiration for everyone.
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby cuyeda » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:05 am

I have seen Roly's TD for sale on Craigslist by the next owner. I wonder where it is now. I think the fighter jet trailer was donated to a museum with an aviation theme somewhere. Does anyone know the whereabouts of these trailers or in contact with Roly?
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:32 am

I see posts from him on Facebook occasionally:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000240669642

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion