Build it right the first time? Or?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Build it right the first time? Or?

Postby KTM_Guy » Sun May 07, 2017 11:00 pm

Hi all,

I'm in the planing stage of an off-road build. Of all the build reports I read a lot of builders say "On my next build I'll do ....." I see it all the time. My plan was going to take my time and and build it just the way I want. But now I'm thinking build a quick basic first tear use it for a few years then build the one I really want. The first one could be sold, give to my daughter "she wants one too". I even have kicked around the idea of renting it out. I live in an area that that might actually work.

So what would you do if you where to build again.

Thanks,
Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Re: Build it right the first time? Or?

Postby GPW » Mon May 08, 2017 4:56 am

Good idea , they’re like Potato Chips , you can’t build just one ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby les45 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:25 am

Build it right the first time. Learn all you can from the Forum as you go. However, when you are done, there is always something else that you will want to add or change. Then, at some point, you will sell your first one and build something entirely different based on lessons learned.
les45
500 Club

Postby lrrowe » Mon May 08, 2017 9:24 am

In my case, I do not think I built it wrong. It is just that you learn more by doing it and then see where if you had done it differently here and there, you would have liked it more. I think it is the same no matter what you build. I have the same experience with my house after it was completed.

I suggest you read about the experiences of others and then try to note and prioritize those things you want and like. And when you are done, I will bet you will say, "I wished I had done it differently".
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Tom Horn » Mon May 08, 2017 10:13 am

les45 wrote:Build it right the first time. Learn all you can from the Forum as you go. However, when you are done, there is always something else that you will want to add or change. Then, at some point, you will sell your first one and build something entirely different based on lessons learned.

This. I would build it the way I think I want it right now. That way I will know for sure if I want those same things again on the next build. There will always be something you find that you will want to do different but I would rather find some of those out on the first build instead of finding it out on my second build.
Tom Horn
Teardrop Advisor

Postby capnTelescope » Mon May 08, 2017 12:20 pm

I agree with les45, LRRowe and Tom Horn. Get the first one as close as you can. If you try to get it PERFECT the first try, you'll never get started. You'll still find things you missed but want, especially after a few outings.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby Socal Tom » Mon May 08, 2017 12:36 pm

For me, I'd get the size and exterior as close to my ideal as I could, but I would make the galley in a way that I could change it over time. I've changed around my galley a few times now, and I like the flexibility of that. What Im not happy with is that it's too short 8ft is not enough for a decent galley, and lacks a good place to carry water. But being able to change the stove I use or being able to fit a fridge I got for a good price was nice.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Mon May 08, 2017 1:52 pm

Great replies,

Capn Telescope hit the nail on the head. I'm a recovering perfectionist I want things I build to be perfect. From construction to design, I like using space people wouldn't even know was there. And I like the wow factor. I like when people say "You built that." Not that that's all bad but I want this done in a year not three, and at some point you do have to start. I gave my wife the okay to beat me with the tool of her choice if I start to get to out there. :lol:

I know the basics I wasn't 5' wide, 9'+, lots of water storage, shower, nice galley, full XL bed, some type of potty for the wife, and a place to keep a table. Even just a 2X3', most places we like to camp don't have picnic tables and my knees are not happy about that.

I have tons of other questions but I will start a new thread because it might help others and be easier to find than in one big thread.

My plan is to be ready to start the build when the summer heat is coming to an end, September or October. We have already had 108 degree and I don't have AC in the garage.
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby DWT77 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:58 pm

I am in the process of building mine right now and I am trying to build it right the first time. I did a fair amount of research for a year or so. bought a couple of different manuals. I didn't do a whole lot of mock up that I have seen other people do with sketch up or building a model teardrop. After the research I just knew what I wanted and had a decent understanding of how to do it.

For the galley I tried to think about how I would use the space.

I want my stove to be removable. So I can set up a table and cook away from the trailer or on a picnic table.

I didn't like the idea of a sink. It takes up counter space plus you have to run the plumbing. Probably will put a Ecotemp on the outside of the teardrop and a Jerry can for water.

I looked at the cabinets and thought about how it would affect food prepping. Cabinets all the way down to the countertop means you have to move things to one side to open up the door. You can get alleviate that by making sliding doors or raise the cabinets up a little.

There is a lot to think about. Interior, storage, heat, AC, ect....

That is what I really like about teardrops, is you can make them to suit your needs and how you like to camp.

Good luck on the build
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon May 08, 2017 9:14 pm

Teardrop #2 was a product of the learning coming from #1. Two doors, a galley designed by Nancy...

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Tue May 09, 2017 7:27 am

Building it right and designing it right are somewhat different goals. I don't advocate building wrong, but the design features you'll want and need are much more elusive. One of the reasons I've put my first on such a tight budget is to find out what I want and need. If I miss electrical, I'll add it or put it in second one, and do on. Another part of that is how long should it be "right". I'm involved in the design and construction of buildings and I like to ask up front how long do they expect to use the building. If I get 5 years out of my first, I'll be happy. Maybe I'll renovate or maybe I'll build a new one, all if I'm still looking at the green side of the grass. Someone twenty years younger probably has different "built right" criteria.

No excuse for poor workmanship in any case, even on a tight budget with low cost materials. And no excuse for leisure time pursuit to not be fun.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Tue May 09, 2017 10:20 am

QueticoBill wrote:Building it right and designing it right are somewhat different goals....
  • In my case, not ever having built an enclosed camping trailer before, trying to mix features I wanted within the chosen size and shape, and with low budget and few woodworking tools, the design was always going to be a compromise. Just like I found in building my drag car: change one thing will likely require changing four more, before all work together correctly. But, unlike working on a car, using proven components designed by professionals, I was repurposing items into an unfamiliar milieu. So, everything ended up as a ”work in progress", not to be regarded as a flaw in my design, but as a testament to my one-off philosophy, and the determination to make it work.
  • Build quality was to be assured, by using the best/strongest materials I could find (for the money), applying them in a redundant manner (my overkill philosophy in action), when and where my limited build budget would allow. Known weaknesses were addressed (and continue to be) as they appeared. I knew my original axle would not be the one I needed, but was used until I had the opportunity (and justification) to replace it with the one I would've used all along, if I had the budget at the beginning.
  • Another point to consider: I assumed that this TTT was going to be used by either me or the wife, for many years, as it was purpose-built to fit my (ours) specific needs. It would never be a stepping stone to another, later build (though I had toyed with the idea, having enjoyed the challenge of the "build process"). I am always trying to modify it to better suit my changing needs, as I find that some things that worked for me five years ago, need to be altered as I have aged. It'll never be the perfect camper, nor was ever intended to suit the tastes of others, but it was designed and built as best I could, for the perceived requirements. I'd recommend all builders do the same, build it as if it would be your one and only TD or TTT.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Tue May 09, 2017 11:16 am

It seems you have a very good grip on all aspects of design needs and goals.

I always gulp on "stronger" and "strongest" as in "....strongest materials I could find...." I try to use the materials that are strong enough - with a suitable design factor - for the project. I know I can build it stronger, but why? I'm a big believer in "balance" in the design - not gold plated this and rats ass that - and building it stronger than necessary seems likely to mean you have to forgo something else - even if its gross weight and gas mileage. Of course I can be criticized for trying to refine the design of such things as strength that completion is delayed. Project delivery being another part of the design effort.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue May 09, 2017 11:20 am

So what would you do if you where to build again?

Just like I did––I'd get a copy of Steve Fredrick's Teardrop Shop Manual. It was my bible on my first build and I still referred to it on build #2 and #3. Especially for an "off-road" 'drop that is going to be exposed to dust and wash-board roads. You want a dust-tight hatch and Fredrick's manual shows you how to build one plus it'll be strong and fairly light.

Consider your first build a prototype. If you think it through, you'll find a few things you'll change on your second build after you've camped with it for a year or two. But when you give away your first build––the recipient will marvel at it.

And build on a dolly, not the trailer chassis. I've done it both ways and never again on the chassis––it gets in the way.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue May 09, 2017 11:30 am

WOI said : “ I am always trying to modify it to better suit my changing needs, as I find that some things that worked for me five years ago, need to be altered as I have aged “ ... And that’s the reason why we end up building multiple trailers ... Our first trailer was the one to end all , it was just “perfect" ... but over time it just didn’t work out as we’d planned , so we built a second , and then a third ... But the last time we left this one basically empty , so we could change things when we needed ... That’s worked out rather well ... :thumbsup:
Yet there is still a desire to build another , mainly because it’s just so much FUN ... !!!

Ton’ “ But when you give away your first build––the recipient will marvel at it.” The Pride is surely passed on ... 8)

Bottom line is like Big Mike always implies ... Build it as Best You can !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion