How nice are Riverside Retro #509 teardrop trailers?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

How nice are Riverside Retro #509 teardrop trailers?

Postby Esteban » Tue May 30, 2017 4:56 pm

:thinking: Has anyone seen, used, or do you own a Riverside Retro Jr. #509 teardrop trailer? What's your feedback pro and/or con about them? They're cute and seem competitively priced. I read that they have a light weight aluminum inner framework. Maybe generous headroom though a short "queen sized" bed area.

http://smalltrailerenthusiast.com/2016/ ... -retro-jr/ has very helpful information about them.

It's frustrating that the manufacturer's website has very little information about the 509 teardrops, their specs and standard features, and the availability of optional upgrades.

I found several informative YouTube videos.

This owner custom ordered it with upgraded interior wood paneling and other custom upgrades.
Last edited by Esteban on Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Re: Riverside Retro #509 teardrop trailer

Postby Ariv » Wed May 31, 2017 1:33 pm

My thoughts and opinions on the riverside Retro #509.
I bought mine in 2014 which I also think was the first year they were built I haven't used it much I have only had a chance to go 3 or 4 times since I bought it so I can't really comment on long term durability plus it is stored in a garage so also not exposed to the elements a lot since I bought it. I have also noticed some changes they have made to later models that I wish was done to mine.
Mine is a basic model, no sink, no stove.

1. Interior dimensions. I like the extra headroom that this one appears to have versus other teardrops that I have been in. I can sit comfortable in the middle and under the cabinets at the front end. I do not like the 76" length but I am also 6'3" so that is a little to short for me to get comfortable this is not an issue for my partner who is 5'4"

2. Lack of ventilation. When I do go camping it is not at a campground so I don't have access to power so no A/C. The camper gets very hot on the inside during the summer. I have tried to help with fans that run on D/C but they don't seem to help a lot . I think the roof fan/ vent that others have would be a nice addition.

3. I have an issue with one of the doors not closing correctly but I don't think this is a issue with the camper. The door was damaged when I bought it and the dealer replaced the door and I don't think it was installed correctly.

Over all even with the above issues I like the camper and am happy with my purchase. The camper pulls very well I can't tell it is back there with my truck, my jeep pulls it well but I can tell it is there.
Ariv
Teardrop Inspector

Re: How nice are Riverside Retro #509 teardrop trailers?

Postby Esteban » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:38 pm

Ariv, thanks for your information. It helps. I'm 6'4" so the bed length is an issue. What is the cabin headroom?

The 509s in stock at the nearest dealers have roof mounted Dometic heaters/air conditioners. Not sure if I'd want that instead of a Fantastic Fan. I'd like to be as free as possible from the need for shore power. I'd rather be able to install a solar panel on the roof than to have a big AC (shore) powered heater/airconditioner on it.

I talked to salespeople at several dealers and left a phone message and an email with Riverside to try to get more information on the Riverside Retro Jr. #509. The dealers are each 3 to 5 hours drive away so it'd take considerable time, gas and effort to see the teardrops in person. The salespeople I talked to have not emailed me the information I requested, an order form that includes cost details about options, that they said they would send me. Nor have I received an email reply or a return phone call from Riverside, the manufacturer.

There is something called an Arctic package that I asked about. I wonder if it includes better insulation. A salesperson told me the upgraded insulation is some type of reflective barrier. If that is aluminum faced bubble wrap I'm unimpressed. I'd like rigid foam insulation, preferably polyiso with a R value of 6+/inch.

I started building a teardrop years ago. I still want to do that. I'm beginning to consider buying a manufactured teardrop so I can travel and camp sooner. The 509 is one that interests me especially if one can be customize which does seem to be possible, though maybe not easy to do.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Re: How nice are Riverside Retro #509 teardrop trailers?

Postby Cathy P. » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:36 pm

I think they are really cute, but I could not find anything on the quality. I really prefer not having something "laminated". Not to change the subject, but in my search, I came across something that you might look at if you haven't, a Sunray 109. I haven't seen one in person although we have a dealer about 75 miles from where we are. http://sunsettrailers.com/sunray-mini-travel-trailers/ Prices come in under $10,000, A/C is optional and a side one rather than a roof A/C.

Forest River has started putting a similar unit to the Sunray out under the Flagstaff and Rockwood emblems.

I am torn between teardrop and mini-trailer.

I just read some reviews on larger models by that manufacturer and some were good and some were not at all good. If the dealer is known to really work to resolve issues, most things can be taken care of, a bad dealership is always a big negative. You might look at this one on a larger trailer from that company: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/riversid ... 233-2.html (Island 86 posting). There are 2 companies with similar names, one makes only larger trailers, I had that issue when trying to get info.
Cathy P.
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion