Pop-up conversion to a-frame (?)

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Pop-up conversion to a-frame (?)

Postby les45 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:14 pm

I'm already thinking about my next project even though I haven't camped in my current project yet ("a different kind of pop-up"). I like the A-liner/a-frame concept but not so much their prices. They are hard to find used except at the dealers who still charge premium prices for them. I'm thinking that my next project might be to convert my latest project (after I've used it a while) into an a-frame. My main goal would be to get away from the heavy roof and the fragile cable hoist system that I currently have on the pop-up. Can't find anything on YouTube. Has anyone heard of converting a standard pop-up to an a-frame?
les45
500 Club

Re: Pop-up conversion to a-frame (?)

Postby M C Toyer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:17 pm

Les -

I saw my first A-frame in California in 1964 and have long been interested in the concept but agree the prices are outrageous.

I've had similar thoughts about building my own and have some basic design sketches and actually built a 1/4 scale prototype using 3/8 rigid foam and 5mm plywood (and duct tape for hinges.) If I did build I would sandwich 3/4 foam with some stiffening spars
between 5mm plywood on the inside and frp for the exterior skin

I had a trailer with 16" sidewalls so would be somewhat similar to starting with a pop-up minus the tent and mechanism.

In the interim I made a one piece clamshell roof for the trailer which allowed me to load and transport my motorcycle and provide headroom when unloaded. The upper sidewalls and rear door were in the style of the wild goose made from a tent which provided a zippered door and screened window openings. I've since replaced that with a benroy style removable shell with barn doors in the rear for year round use.
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion