Anyone interested? Alabama

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Anyone interested? Alabama

Postby mike davis » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:55 pm

Good day everyone hope life finds each one of you well . A little about us I am a retired steelworker and wife had many years in mill before it closed . I have been building hot rods/classic cars for many years now and have turned to it for income from time to time . My skill set is in automotive and not so much carpentry . Have limited knowledge .Sandra my wife is employed in a big box hardware store now .
We have a proposal for another person/couple and decided to offer it here . We have ample room and tools to do a couple teardrop builds . We are offering to share our space and tools to someone / couple who also wants to build a teardrop. We have some resources and supply's we will also be offering .
NOTE :::
we are NOT looking for someone to build our teardrop nor will there be a charge for anything we are offering .

Just like to have another person / couple to bounce ideas and lend a hand too . We are in Jasper Alabama 25 miles from bham or 30 miles from Tuscaloosa. I am retired so days to work on them are wide open . I am not selling anything . I have lived in trailers ,apartments, houses with no shop so I get it . So no matter where your from or stage your in in your build we would enjoy building with someone/couple

Again we are not looking for someone to build for us but rather with us .
Administration if not allowed we understand

I can also be reached
[email protected]
mike davis
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Anyone interested? Alabama

Postby pchast » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:49 pm

Welcome. That sounds like a great offer.
:D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mike davis » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:51 pm

Thanks Pete
I hope someone takes us up on the offer .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mike davis
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Esteban » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:44 pm

Mike,
:thumbsup: your offer to share your shop space and tools with another teardrop builder is kindhearted and enlightened. You may each appreciate an extra set of hands for some tasks, benefit from a wider range of skills and enjoy having someone else to bounce ideas off if your offer is accepted.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:11 am

Esteban wrote:Mike,
:thumbsup: your offer to share your shop space and tools with another teardrop builder is kindhearted and enlightened. You may each appreciate an extra set of hands for some tasks, benefit from a wider range of skills and enjoy having someone else to bounce ideas off if your offer is accepted.
  • I benefitted from a friend's experience, tools, and large workspace in the building of my TTT. I needed the space, as I had no extra at the time, his experience in welding the frame together (rather than the way I would've bolted on frame extensions, since I had no welding experience at the time), and his help in keeping everything straight and precise (I was no so picky, but now am). The only caveats in starting my trailer build away from home were
  • 1) that I had to drive 100 miles round-trip to do so, I couldn't always get to address a problem at once, instead I had to wait a week or two to do so
  • 2) constantly having to ferry parts and supplies to that site was a real pain...I always had stuff stored in my HHR Panel daily driver, just in case I got a chance to go work on it
  • 3) sometimes (well. most times) I would go there to work on my project, only to end up working on other things (he/we ran a racing team from his garage)
  • 4) while I grew more focused on my project over time, he grew tired/resentful of it taking up space, and my growing resentment of being sidetracked on the other projects made me eventually alienated from my friend
  • I eventually dragged it home to finish (the exterior was sealed and weatherproof)...the only interior item done there was my on-board generator, and the rest was empty. The project drove a wedge in our friendship, for which I admit might've been 75% my fault, but I constantly think that without his help at the beginning, I might've never gotten anywhere with it, and I thank him for that. I tried to get him to simultaneously build another, alongside mine, for him or his son to use...If he had gotten a personal attachment to the project(s), then it would've been a better outcome for us both. Good luck on yours; I think your offer would've been perfect for my situation, although Alabama is a bit far for me to drive.
  • 86927 this is where I might've had to build the trailer
  • 96777 this is where I started the build, at my friend's workshop/home
  • 97337 finally cleared a spot at home for finishing/storing the trailer
  • 111154 after 22 months, I finished it, having worked on it solo for half the time
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mike davis » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:23 am

Thanks for sharing your experience. We will be moving forward with our build soon . I am securing my supply's daily . I was hoping one of my hotrod buddies would read and jump on with me . I have received several emails calling my offer a scam . Although I don't understand how I can be scamming someone. Then I had a couple wanting to know what supply's and perks I was giving . And I've had one the best for last :::: he wants to come to my town live in his camper in my yard and he will help me build mine and I have to pay for both teardrop and pay him $25 a day till we are finished . Lol so looking like sandra and I alone so far . I knew it was a long shot but I try . I have been blessed with things in my life so I try to pay it forward now and then

mike davis
Teardrop Inspector

Postby CAJUN LADY » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:49 am

Mike, there are some wackadoodles in this world and I hope you write down all the kooky responses you get and continue to post them. I hope you get a great person or couple willing to take you up on this generous offer. Wish I lived closer and could have this opportunity. I miss my Teardrop and would love to build one myself. In the meantime, I'm enjoying my sweet Bayou Belle (1977 Scotty Hilander). :thumbsup:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby mike davis » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:56 am

Yes I originally posted this on my fb hoping some of my hotrod friends would reply . We are gathering parts now as soon as I get started their will be people asking . The people contacting me via email are missing my point I am offering
A place to work
Loan of my wood working tools
Some pieces of hardware I have extra
They will be responsible for Everything they need to build there teardrop. And to clean mess up as we go

mike davis
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shoebone » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:23 am

mike davis wrote:::: he wants to come to my town live in his camper in my yard and he will help me build mine and I have to pay for both teardrop and pay him $25 a day till we are finished .

:lol: ..... bargain, cant believe you didn't jump on this :lol:
Shoebone
Teardrop Inspector

Postby working on it » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:52 pm

Shoebone wrote:
mike davis wrote:::: he wants to come to my town live in his camper in my yard and he will help me build mine and I have to pay for both teardrop and pay him $25 a day till we are finished .

:lol: ..... bargain, cant believe you didn't jump on this :lol:
  • Better not let my wife read this thread, or she might give you $25 or (more) a day to have me stay there in my trailer, just to get rid of me...but my dogs would not let that happen...all eight love me more than she does, especially this one!
  • CHLOE.png
    CHLOE.png (210.9 KiB) Viewed 731 times
    my keeper
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mike davis » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:54 pm

Mine wouldn't like it too muchImageImage

mike davis
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion