Wheel lock

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Wheel lock

Postby Pinstriper » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:42 pm

JaggedEdges wrote:Some good ideas here, do remember however to make your deterrent devices highly visible, they are a liability if the sneak thief doesn't see them and attempts to pull trailer away resulting in messed up wheels, axles, springs or whatever.

I might get me a heavy duty chain if I go up into back country, public lands, off grid camping. There's definitely a zone here, within easy drive of Toronto, where people are very possessive of public land camping spots, regarding them as theirs, even though legally they're not allowed on them more than 23 days a year, just like anyone else. So if you leave your small trailer on one and drive out for supplies or trip, you risk Mr "My spot" turning up and dragging it off to god knows where and acting all innocent when you come back... Now these ppl would regard themselves as law abiding maybe, so likely wouldn't saw anything apart, but if it could be dragged on the chains and have the tires skid in the mud, then they're not doing anything wrong in their mind, particularly when you stole "their" spot. Chain it to a tree there and I think you'd be good.
A game camera setup nearby but well concealed would provide the evidence necessary to charge them with something. Taking your property and abandoning it elsewhere is still theft and/or vandalism.

Plus other consequences in the vein of "frontier justice" on the appropriate scale of course.

Sent from my RCT6213W87M using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Re: Wheel lock

Postby lrrowe » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:17 pm

I think the game cam is a great idea. It does not have to be an expensive or loaded with features. It is sort of like a dash cam.....hopefully it could provide license plate and facial evidence to the authorities. I really ought to do this when I am off grid camping in the NF.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion