Wheel lock

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Wheel lock

Postby bbrider » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:30 am

I have been thinking lately about trailer security. Mostly because to the two reports I have seen on the net about teardrop thefts. I know anything we do can be beat, but the harder it is the less likely you become a target. With that in mind and knowing that next year we plan on doing an Alaska trip by way of the west coast I started looking into security. I am not sure what to do about the coupler yet, but I came up with a drawing for the wheel lock. My wheels came off an 80's model Buick Roadmaster station wagon so they are custom aluminum, but they have triangular holes in them.

I am thinking about building something like this out of 1" X 1/4" flat bar and having the pad lock under the trailer between the wheel and springs. It would make it harder to get too and confine the amount of space they have to work with for the lock. This and wheel locknuts together would be two road blocks for thieves. Do one on each side and you have 4 road blocks.

Naw Bro, We ain't lost. We just ain't never been here before!

Wee-Go build journal:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66964
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Re: Wheel lock

Postby lrrowe » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:24 am

Good idea. I have had one similar to it, but my wheel slots seem to be too small. I must work on that. I had the thought that the lock being under the trailer, would make it that much harder for a thief to get a bolt cutter under there.

But you know, if they want it, they can get it. All they would need are dollies to place under the wheels and away they go.
Nevertheless, my goal is still to figure out how to make one lock setup like this and maybe also have a tracing module in it for when they do get it.

The tracking device would be like this:
https://www.findmespot.com/en/?cid=128

Half price now at $50, but the annual subscription is high at $150. But then again, if you consider it insurance costs, then maybe it is not so bad. I believe that once my trailer disappears, I will never see it again. I would not expect too much in the form of support or results from Law Enforcement. The stuff inside gets removed and ends up who knows where? The trailer itself could just sit somewhere as a storage unit. So I would be out thousands of dollars even with some theft insurance.

If you build it, please post photos.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby drhill » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:28 pm

That looks like a pretty good theft deterrent to me. You know what your wheels look like better than me, but there might be some frustration getting the wheel slots lined up with the leaf spring to get the lock bar in there.

I have used a couple similar ideas. I have used one of those long U bike locks through the wheel and around the spring (same line up problem) and have also used heavy grade 70 chain about 30" long and a heavy padlock. The chain is run through an old bike inner tube to protect the rim. This gets rid of the lining things up problem, but there still would be room for a big pry bar in there. If the wheel slots can be lined up easily enough with your wheels that should make a nice strong system.

As you mentioned, we can't stop professionals with grinders and wheel dollies. But I really think all we need to worry about is the easy opportunity thefts. I am not sure, but I think the teardrop thefts there have been have occurred where the trailers were parked stored for a long time, allowing for thief's to scout and plan. I have only bothered to lock my trailer when leaving it unattended in a remote site. If there are any other campers around, I don't think I need to worry about grinders and wheel dollies.

Be sure to post a picture of what you build. Cheers,
Don
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:29 pm

Someone suggested in another thread removing the wheels and leaving on jacks/stabilizers. Someone would have to want it pretty bad.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby bbrider » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:57 pm

lrrowe wrote:Good idea. I have had one similar to it, but my wheel slots seem to be too small. I must work on that. I had the thought that the lock being under the trailer, would make it that much harder for a thief to get a bolt cutter under there.

But you know, if they want it, they can get it. All they would need are dollies to place under the wheels and away they go.
Nevertheless, my goal is still to figure out how to make one lock setup like this and maybe also have a tracing module in it for when they do get it.

The tracking device would be like this:
https://www.findmespot.com/en/?cid=128

Half price now at $50, but the annual subscription is high at $150. But then again, if you consider it insurance costs, then maybe it is not so bad. I believe that once my trailer disappears, I will never see it again. I would not expect too much in the form of support or results from Law Enforcement. The stuff inside gets removed and ends up who knows where? The trailer itself could just sit somewhere as a storage unit. So I would be out thousands of dollars even with some theft insurance.

If you build it, please post photos.

Will do Bob. I am definitely going to build it. I have got most of the measurements done and will need to pick up the flat bar next week to build it with. Some florescent orange paint too for it so it will be visible to me as well....LOL. With my wheels I discovered I could get the 1" bar to line up right run through the holes flat side up and down, but it went through pretty easy turned up edge ways so I have redone my drawing for it done edge ways which makes for less trouble making the bends on the end at the wheel. Now I am thinking a 1" bend on the top and bottom bar, then weld a 1" connector piece to connect the two together outside of the wheel to make a sort of J shape on it's side with the long arm on the lower side.
Then the lock would be over the top bars making it even harder to get too. Still not theft proof, but definitely harder to steal.

New picture of revised lock:

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby bbrider » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:02 pm

drhill wrote:That looks like a pretty good theft deterrent to me. You know what your wheels look like better than me, but there might be some frustration getting the wheel slots lined up with the leaf spring to get the lock bar in there.

I have used a couple similar ideas. I have used one of those long U bike locks through the wheel and around the spring (same line up problem) and have also used heavy grade 70 chain about 30" long and a heavy padlock. The chain is run through an old bike inner tube to protect the rim. This gets rid of the lining things up problem, but there still would be room for a big pry bar in there. If the wheel slots can be lined up easily enough with your wheels that should make a nice strong system.

As you mentioned, we can't stop professionals with grinders and wheel dollies. But I really think all we need to worry about is the easy opportunity thefts. I am not sure, but I think the teardrop thefts there have been have occurred where the trailers were parked stored for a long time, allowing for thief's to scout and plan. I have only bothered to lock my trailer when leaving it unattended in a remote site. If there are any other campers around, I don't think I need to worry about grinders and wheel dollies.

Be sure to post a picture of what you build. Cheers,
Don

Thanks Don, my wheels are from a Buick Roadmaster wagon. Aluminum with D shaped holes about !" apart all the way around the outer edge of the wheels so the holes will line up close enough to work every time.. Maybe not on some of the regular trailer wheels, but mine will. I will post pictures when I get it done. It is so blame hot here in Louisianan right now I am not doing much outside so it may be a couple of weeks.

Bill

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby bbrider » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:04 pm

QueticoBill wrote:Someone suggested in another thread removing the wheels and leaving on jacks/stabilizers. Someone would have to want it pretty bad.

With my two door rag top jeep I would have a place to put them. Saw that post too, but won't work for me.

Bill

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby friz » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:15 pm

My security.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby swoody126 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:58 am

i am seeing several combinations of theft deterrents that utilize padlocks and that is not wrong

i might remind the group that MASTER LOCKS makes SETS KEYED ALIKE

or you can goto ACE HDWR and they will key them for you

in my case i use the same base model w/ different bale lengths ALL KEYED ALIKE to provide a bit of peace of mind

in the case of the coupler latch they sometimes require a bit of "fitting" for the bale to pass thru the holes which is easily done w/ a drill

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ZB7D8 ... 78-h640-no

then a chain thru the holes in the wheel, around the axe AND then around a tree/pole/picnic table... all padlocked

not at all unlike the OP

MASTER also makes a lock w/ a bale that fits thru the hole in the hitch pin on your 2" receiver AND it can be purchased w/ different lengths of bales and get them all keyed alike

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/6Qcnl ... 78-h640-no

w/a bit of forethought you can engineer your security system to only need 2 keys

one for the wheel locking & coupler needs and one for the smaller pin and hasp needs

another method i employ to keep the occasional thief at bay is the use of SS(marine) cable w/ eyes swaged on each end to loop thru bicycle frames and lawn chairs then looped thru the trailer frame or a picnic table for securing w/ one of the smaller locks and again it uses the same key as the hitch pin

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ck75g ... 70-h762-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/5E6qq ... 70-h762-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/LDaHX ... Qj=s400-no

in most cases i feel(i LIKE to feel) the thefts we are hearing about are/were acts of convenience/opportunity and not carefully/extensively planned events which would obviously overcome most any deterrents we may devise

the defeating method/tool of most deterrents is a simple hack saw and TIME to do the sawing

that TIME is the element that causes most casual thieves to pass my rig up and move on to an easier mark

and so far i still have my stuff

GOOD LUCK w/ your endeavor

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Dale M. » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:29 am

I just used a cable lock through each wheel for my tandem axle car carrier... NO reason you can not do same through wheel and leaf spring...

http://lmgtfy.com/?t=i&q=cable+lock

And for hitch...

http://lmgtfy.com/?t=i&q=hitch+lock

Also have set of keys you CAN NOT LOSE...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby DaBearSox » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:15 pm

So I have a few deterrents that I am going to use on my upcoming trip.

3a26147d-84a1-4bef-b1c7-ff9ca77588ec_1.5c30ab7c6424380cabf60b923878d99e.jpeg
3a26147d-84a1-4bef-b1c7-ff9ca77588ec_1.5c30ab7c6424380cabf60b923878d99e.jpeg (25.6 KiB) Viewed 1245 times

ea307919-1dea-4a11-9212-db85981ba459_1.cdd3b4575afc62932537ccd5347fb9f3.jpeg
ea307919-1dea-4a11-9212-db85981ba459_1.cdd3b4575afc62932537ccd5347fb9f3.jpeg (20.1 KiB) Viewed 1245 times

I also have a padlock on the coupler lever and I had a padlock on each chain wrapped around the frame.

Not impassable but should make the assholes look for something easier.
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bbrider » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:19 am

I agree, time is the biggest factor. That being said if you go to youtube you will see just how long it takes to defeat a lot of those pictured devices....and it doesn't take long in most cases. That is what got me started with trying to make my own setup for the wheels. Partly because I don't have the storage for the big wheel locks and partly because most of us on here I like to build my own stuff.

All ideas are welcomed and I like seeing what others are doing. I also agree that most of the thefts are problem opportunistic type thefts. I am hoping to do so out of the way camping on our Alaska trip next year some of which will be in California and the north west and I am just trying to dot a few I's and cross a few T's before that trip...LOL. Or maybe I am just bored and looking for something else to build :lol:

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby Camp4Life » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:15 pm

What I use:

You can also use a wheel lock in addition to it. Or go crazy and switch your hitch setup to a pintle hook and nobody will ever steal it, except maybe a farmer with a tractor :lol:
Even guys with these on their trucks will have their hitches way too high to tow a TD away.

Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby bbrider » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:27 pm

Had a little fun today building my locks. I have one done and in paint, Florescent orange, and one half way done. I ran short of flat bar. Not counting the locks and paint, which I have yet to order, I will have $8.00 in the two.

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:25 pm

bbrider, looks good. Creative!
After my trip off the grid with my grandsons this week, I may crawl under the trailer and see what options I have.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion