Exterior coating

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Exterior coating

Postby attroll » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:11 pm

I am almost ready to paint the outside of my trailer. I did not skin it with metal. I left it luan.
I do not want to use a marine varnish.
What kind of paint should I use?
I want it to coat and seal everything.
attroll
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Exterior coating

Postby jondbar628 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:23 pm

Oil based paint or high-grade acrylic latex, or spar varnish with UV protection. Today's acrylics are hard to beat.........jd

I fired from the hip (or lip) on this one, so now I want to amend may recommendation...........IF you haven't done any pre-fab prep work to your luan, such as "the mix" or other grain & edge-sealing applications, yo need to do that now, before painting. If that is the case, I too would recommend PMF rather than just paint. The quality of luan & its glue are notoriously erratic, especially when purchased "on sale" at a big box store. It's mostly Chinese. One batch may be of a decent quality, and the next pallet is junk......Better safe than sorry...............jd
Last edited by jondbar628 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:47 pm

High grade acrylic.

Make sure you have trim to seal and cover all the seams, luan HATES water! Delamination hell real fast if water gets in.

And dont be skimpy on it. Lay down multiple coats, not just enough to "coat" things.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Syberia » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:37 am

I would not use Luan on the exterior of the trailer at all. I left a sheet of it outside and it got ruined just from the humidity.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Syberia
Teardrop Inspector

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:46 am

Reading here and my own research and experience has lead me to fibreglass and epoxy on the roof, seams, and bottom of walls, and then Mad Dog Dura-Last primer and Benjamin Moore Aura exterior in satin or semi-gloss.

It seems fairly clear that ply on roofs cracks through the coating eventually, and the drip edge at bottom of vertical surfaces suffers from repeated wetting and drying, sure to promote decay.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:36 am

if you don't fiberglass it w/ epoxy(highly recommended) you might at least paint it w/ slightly thinned Tite-Bond III prior to painting

Luan is highly susceptible to delamination whe exposed to ANY moisture :shock:

unprotected Luan WILL cause you problems when placed in the weather

JMHO

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby working on it » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:38 am

• Though I've only used Luan as the top layer of my trailer's flooring (1/2" birch plywood topped with 1/4" Luan, glued with Titebond 2 and screwed together around the perimeter), I coated it with multiple coats of Minwax polyurethane. I use commercial rubber-backed carpet/matting over the floor, so wear is not an issue, but I've had standing water (due to an unclosed door issue) on the Luan floor for 36 hours, without any damage or delamination, so I think that a good coat of poly will prevent water intrusion.
  • Though there is no Luan on my TTT's exterior, perhaps you could use the same paint/coating procedure that I've used, to "waterproof" your wood. I used the "mix", of polyurethane and paint thinner, to penetrate thru the outer layers of plywood (and Luan), followed by more coats of mix, then pure poly. Then, I used Valspar alkyd enamel tractor paint as my primary paint, and Valspar Heavy-Duty reflective "silo: paint on any surface that could face upwards (the front roof slope, the roof, and the hatch door). I bought the Valspar brand which was marketed at Tractor Supply, at that time, and it has worked great since 2012. I recommend the Valspar brand highly, but now Tractor Supply carries the Majic brand, which doesn't specific for use on wood, though I've used it for touch-ups over the Valspar, with success.
  • If I were to paint a Luan-covered trailer, like yours, I would first use the poly "mix" and the tractor and "silo" paints again...the key being that the poly mix penetrates and protects the Luan, the pure poly finishing coat gives a good surface for the solvent-base of the UV-resistant paints to follow, and the tractor and "silo" paints are meant for constant weather-exposure, so they have proven to be durable, at least to me.
  • I'm pleased with my paint lasting without any problems so far, except scratches that I've made during work in my crowded/cramped garage, and was fully expecting some delamination (especially on the plywood edges), but there's been none. True, the trailer is stored in my garage, for about 95% of the time, but no problems yet. My alternative choice for coatings were a bedliner type of material, to completely cover all surfaces with an impenetrable coating, but my favorite choice (Durabak) is about $130 per gallon, so I'm glad my trailer is holding up so well, as-is. Good luck, and try this procedure if you feel it'll work for you, as it has for me.
  • trailer paint.jpg
    trailer paint.jpg (108.68 KiB) Viewed 1619 times
    my TTT, with poly and two other coatings shown
  • Valspar or Rustoleum.png
    Valspar or Rustoleum.png (275.34 KiB) Viewed 1619 times
    what I used, and a good substitute if unavailable
  • Majic @ Tractor Supply.PNG
    Majic @ Tractor Supply.PNG (174.84 KiB) Viewed 1619 times
    this brand should work well, especially over a poly base coat
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:40 pm

I used PMF on my roof of luan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Tigris99 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:46 pm

I did PMF as well.

Luan isnt affected by normal humidity, those that say so cause they left it ouside, that wasnt the humidity, that was the dew that accumulated do to high humidity. My luan sat in a hot and humid garage for a month without a single issue. Its standing water that is bad.

Truly nothing but marine plywood will tolerate water exposure for long.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:45 am

The original owner of mine painted it with pool deck paint. ( essentially paint with sand in it). This resulted in a rough surface that allowed water to seep through. I tried painting over it, but eventually water got through at the hinge ( tough to seal a rough surface). I replaced the roof with new luan, then applied PMF using a poly cloth ( designed for roofing) and a 2 layers of exterior paint. Going over the luan and using the polyester cloth I found TB2 to be an unneeded extra step. The paint holds at least as well as the diluted TB2, and the cloth provides more structure for the thick paint. I need to apply the third layer, but I've busy with other things. the two layers have proven to be water tight in some hard rains ( at least for Socal). The third coat will be more of a cosmetic treatement ( though it will probably make it last longer as well)
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Cosmo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:56 pm

If you are looking for durable maybe Line-X truck bed coating is a consideration. Pretty wild stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWkYRh6OXy8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5t6hpIEy-w

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby booyah » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:12 am

I'm two years on epoxy coated birch with fiberglass on the seams. I then painted the outside with exterior latex paint.

Its stored outside full time in Michigan, and i tarp it in the winter for snow loads.

So far no issues, no signs of water intrusion, no bubbled paint or warped wood, and shes been out for some long heavy sustained rain.
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:09 pm

booyah wrote:I'm two years on epoxy coated birch with fiberglass on the seams. I then painted the outside with exterior latex paint.

Its stored outside full time in Michigan, and i tarp it in the winter for snow loads.

So far no issues, no signs of water intrusion, no bubbled paint or warped wood, and shes been out for some long heavy sustained rain.

Thanks. That is where I'm headed - birch ply - double bias fiberglass tape at seams and especially over the wall to roof joint and bottom of wall to floor where it beads and drips, and glass on the roof - stem to stern - so hatch too. Epoxy over all, primer, and house paint. I especially like the strength of the epoxy and glass at joints.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:40 pm

booyah wrote:I'm two years on epoxy coated birch with fiberglass on the seams. I then painted the outside with exterior latex paint.

Boo:

Got an update on how she's holding up?

Thanks,

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:17 am

We've been using a good exterior Latex Exterior house paint .. My Trailer has sat outside for almost ten years now , the paint just needs a good washing now and then .... May be doing a re-paint soon ... Just because we're tired of the colors and have to do some very minor repairs .
Attachments
FS .JPG
FS .JPG (168.71 KiB) Viewed 380 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion