KEEP IT SIMPLE

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

KEEP IT SIMPLE

Postby mallymal » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:51 am

Hi friends
Mal here from the UK... I'm a long time lurker and "wannabe one-day I will" builder.

A happy series of coincidences happened...

My eldest daughter is about to buy her first apartment, and isn't allowed to store a full size bike there. So we went to a shop to look at folding bikes.

While we were in there a guy wandered over and said "I hope you don't mind me approaching you, but I bought one like this for my wife, and she's never used it... we're selling it if you're interested."

So later that day we went round to his house... she liked the bike & bought it (£60 instead of £250 in the showroom).

But what thrilled me most was that he had a professionally built teardrop on his driveway. Looked very much like a Little Guy. These things are RARE in the UK, so it was great to see one in the flesh.

The thing that really struck home was how simple some of it was. Eg the galley just had a very simple thin rubber sealing strip, where it closed. They'd never had a problem with it leaking.

The challenge for all home builders I think is to not to over-think things, and not to over-engineer things.

By the way, the other great thing was, my wife saw the teardrop and said "Oh, well, you never told me they could look as nice as this.... I didn't realise they had a kitchen, blah,. blah, blah."

So we might get her "with the programme" eventually!! Fingers crossed.
mallymal
The 300 Club

Re: KEEP IT SIMPLE

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:11 pm

We need more good news like that. Thanks!
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

KEEP IT SIMPLE

Postby kramergwt » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:50 pm

mallymal wrote:By the way, the other great thing was, my wife saw the teardrop and said "Oh, well, you never told me they could look as nice as this.... I didn't realise they had a kitchen, blah,. blah, blah."

I went to a teardrop dealer about 45 minutes from where I live to see one up close. I was only there to look. My wife was with me and was ready to try and work a deal with them. That was a very good sign. She even said she liked it better than a full size RV because there is still a feeling of camping since the inside size is similar to a tent , but with a much improved bed. Exactly what I wanted to hear. Good luck. Hope you build one too. Lot's of fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
kramergwt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wildfire » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:37 pm

Glad to hear that simple is better. We made ours that way, mostly because i didnt want to deal with the hatch...

Seems like it should be good for us once the weather cools off.
Wildfire
Teardrop Builder

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:23 am

I've been tempted to post a link to this thread in some others here recently. I'm redoubling my efforts toward kismif in my build.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Return to General Discussion