Off the Shelf Suspension... trailing arms

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Off the Shelf Suspension... trailing arms

Postby SnowLizard » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:34 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for some 'Off-the-Shelf' trailing arm suspension for my teardrop I'm building.

I'll be having a company build the trailer and was wondering if there was a place I can order from and get this suspension. possibly put air bags on it.

Thanks in advance
SnowLizard
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Off the Shelf Suspension... trailing arms

Postby tony.latham » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:06 pm

SnowLizard wrote:Hi,

I'm looking for some 'Off-the-Shelf' trailing arm suspension for my teardrop I'm building.

I'll be having a company build the trailer and was wondering if there was a place I can order from and get this suspension. possibly put air bags on it.

Thanks in advance

Do you mean a torsion axle? I swear by 'em...

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby AzAv8r » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:45 pm

Well, there are torsion axles which basically have small trailing arms. Dexter is a manufacturer, try eTrailer to take a look.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Axles/ ... 60-15.html

Timbren has a trailing arm with rubber baby buggy bumpers for springs - people swear by them, but quite a bit pricier.
http://timbren.com/axle-less/
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Axles/ ... S545E.html

Adventure Trailers has a real (beefy) rolling chassis with trailing arms and air springs. Iirc, they designed this after having torsion axles fail on a trip to Baja California. The washboards in Baja are (or at least were) legendary...
http://adventuretrailers.com/diy-chaser ... g-chassis/
AzAv8r
Teardrop Builder

Postby SnowLizard » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:38 am

no torsion... timbren would be my next choice...

I am thinking of AT's type of trailing arms... is there a setup ready to 'bolt on' or weld on?

4300 for the frame... and it's not even the right dimensions...
SnowLizard
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:47 am

If the aliens sucked Flash into the Mothership tonight, I'd start on a new trailer and put the same Torflex axle and radial tires that I'm running now. My axle was built by Dexter for the specific weight of my teardrop. Rides like a dream.

What more could you want?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:07 pm

Southwest Wheel sells custom built Flexiride torsion axles that have have easily adjustable torsion arm start angles to suit your needs.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby SnowLizard » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:27 pm

talked with a trailer company, and I figured out what I really want... air ride.
here's my current cargo trailer ... maybe for sale soon...
it's leaf spring, it bounces cause spring is 'subjective to weight'... I hate that...
any torsion bar would be 'too low' and would have put the trailer at a rake... tongue up. here is my trailer with a 45* torsion axle (lowest angle)... I know the rubber was 'aged' and it needed replaced but no one would touch it cause the body mounts were not 'safe' dimensions... I was forced to change to leaf... oh and the tires were smaller...
bottom of my receiver hitch is 21 inches high, so I do want the trailer to ride roughly the same height. I can step down on the tongue but i don't want it much lower... here's a good pic of what I mean.

so I know leaf can get me where I want... but I hate the ride, 100% beef... I know torsion can ride great... but nothing will be tall enough... unless biigger tires?? no.
so I need 'leaf' that rides great... I was thinking trailing arms... but the trailer company mentioned why not air ride the solid axle... :lightbulb:
so... now i need to find a air bag setup for solid axles... should be easier and more cost effective.
SnowLizard
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion