Doors that don't cost an arm and a leg?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Doors that don't cost an arm and a leg?

Postby j.hensley » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:47 pm

The wife has given the okay on a tear build for a road trip next summer!

I've been researching doors. They're expensive! Is there a source for doors that aren't $$$?? I can't seem to find them.

I'm not oppose to building my own, but if they could be had for say around $300 for two- I'd rather buy and drop in!

Thanks in advanced!
j.hensley
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Doors that don't cost an arm and a leg?

Postby pohukai » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:25 pm

I know your pain. I had looked at salvage RV yards and even those were expensive. For me, when the cost of pre-fab doors began to approach 50% of the total cost of the camper budget, i decided to build my own. I reminded my self, this is a 'camper' and will probably be at most a dozen times per year.

I'm still happy with my decision.
pohukai
Teardrop Master

Postby Wildfire » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:29 pm

Challenger doors seem to be the best price for a drop in solution. But that is going to run $600 or so for two doors with shipping.
Wildfire
Teardrop Builder

Postby j.hensley » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:58 pm

It looks like building my own will be the most feasible option.

I'm really liking the Inka Outdoor trailer style of doors..

j.hensley
Teardrop Inspector

Postby working on it » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:54 pm

j.hensley wrote:It looks like building my own will be the most feasible option.

• I find these doors a bit leaky, when exiting my '55 Gullwing Mercedes.
  • I wish.jpg
    I wish.jpg (74.43 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
    "wish I may, wish I might, I've no Gullwing in my sight"
  • Actually, I have no Mercedes, nor a gullwing door, but I've read that the top seal is problematic. Perhaps with a canopy overhead, or covered hinge, or hurricane-type hinge, like on a hatch, it would not pour water directly on top of you, but even experts have problems sealing these doors.
  • gullwing vs rain.PNG
    gullwing vs rain.PNG (121.03 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
    you can't carry a canopy when you drive a Tesla
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby j.hensley » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:08 pm

Yeah, would definitely need some sort of flashing or gutter just above the hinge..
j.hensley
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:38 pm

There was a post somewhere here that talked about the problem of opening and closing gull wings on a teardrop. Dunno....

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:01 pm

I really like the gallwing doors, and have been thinking of them on my build.

Pro's
Big door opening.
Maybe some rain protection.

Con's
Bigger opening, more places to leak.
Big door more chance to warp. Which will lead to more leaks.
Four more gas struts to mount and size right.
Might need two points, one each side low to latch door.
Would need some type of grab bar or rope to pull door closed. Having a bad back I don't see the motion needed to close the door as a good thing for the back.
If you wanted to sleep with the doors open it would be full open or closed, unless there was a rope with a tie off spot.

Even with all the con's I'm still leaning that way. :?

KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby jondbar628 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:15 pm

Doors aren't that hard to build, if you use the blank you cut out of the sidewall. Sealing out water is the trick, regardless of how it opens..........jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby cajundood » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:26 pm

definitely construct your own :applause:
cajundood
Teardrop Builder

Postby DWT77 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:53 pm

This build had doors that open like that

gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1083&image_id=41419&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
Last edited by DWT77 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby j.hensley » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:10 pm

DWT77 wrote:

This build had does that open like that

gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1083&image_id=41419&sk=t&sd=d&st=0

I really like that build. Thanks!
j.hensley
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Florida Native » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:15 pm

KTM_Guy wrote:I really like the gallwing doors, and have been thinking of them on my build.

Even with all the con's I'm still leaning that way. :?

I really like the gull wing door look, too. However, another con is that they will preclude the use of an awning or require that an awning be mounted very high to clear the door in the open position.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Florida Native
Teardrop Builder

Postby SnowLizard » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:08 pm

I have gone through this route recently, and even though I have a great concept of this design, it comes down to cost... and the ability to 'mirror' paper to wood.

here's the problems I've encountered designing these...

1) depth and demensions - how deep are they or 'thick' compared to the walls, then after I figure that how am I going to cover up the un-used depth or over-depth of the wall?
2) weight - the wall is designed on 3/4 outside, 1 inch mid and 1/4 inside, that's 2 inches, if the door was the same, how do I water proof that? "T" molding can only do so much, and the curve on the door frame would be a little difficult to make, FORCING a 'solid' frame, all 2 inches worth... this adds weight to the door and frame...
3) latch... all 'easy' latches are paddle handled, they would open by pulling the handle 'down'... were we need the vehicle door type handle Inka has... I have found the hardware from tri-mark... here's a link to the inside bezel.. when cost is added up, it's 150 per side on just the basic hardware, you get to figure out how to mount it up, link it together, and make it work... that's 300 for both doors, PLUS alot of time.
4) the ebay doors are cheaper in time and money in the end... the radius'd 2x3 doors are better for your time and money in the end, they are lighter and IF something goes south on the, replacing the entire door IS an option... where as your custom door, you get to figure it out.

Don't get me wrong, I have tried to design this gallwing door for 4 months, and I'm facing reality, the door itself will add 2-3+ months to my project (1 month plan, 2+ month doing)... where as the pre-made $350 doors will be bolted on in 1 day. it comes down to how much you want to spend on your trailer in time too... me it came down to build time and getting out there in the world, not worry'n about how to make a door work 90* from intended purpose... (yes I have asked the ebay sellers to make me a long door that can do that... )
SnowLizard
Teardrop Inspector

Postby j.hensley » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:16 pm

SnowLizard wrote:I have gone through this route recently, and even though I have a great concept of this design, it comes down to cost... and the ability to 'mirror' paper to wood.

here's the problems I've encountered designing these...

1) depth and demensions - how deep are they or 'thick' compared to the walls, then after I figure that how am I going to cover up the un-used depth or over-depth of the wall?
2) weight - the wall is designed on 3/4 outside, 1 inch mid and 1/4 inside, that's 2 inches, if the door was the same, how do I water proof that? "T" molding can only do so much, and the curve on the door frame would be a little difficult to make, FORCING a 'solid' frame, all 2 inches worth... this adds weight to the door and frame...
3) latch... all 'easy' latches are paddle handled, they would open by pulling the handle 'down'... were we need the vehicle door type handle Inka has... I have found the hardware from tri-mark... here's a link to the inside bezel.. when cost is added up, it's 150 per side on just the basic hardware, you get to figure out how to mount it up, link it together, and make it work... that's 300 for both doors, PLUS alot of time.
4) the ebay doors are cheaper in time and money in the end... the radius'd 2x3 doors are better for your time and money in the end, they are lighter and IF something goes south on the, replacing the entire door IS an option... where as your custom door, you get to figure it out.

Don't get me wrong, I have tried to design this gallwing door for 4 months, and I'm facing reality, the door itself will add 2-3+ months to my project (1 month plan, 2+ month doing)... where as the pre-made $350 doors will be bolted on in 1 day. it comes down to how much you want to spend on your trailer in time too... me it came down to build time and getting out there in the world, not worry'n about how to make a door work 90* from intended purpose... (yes I have asked the ebay sellers to make me a long door that can do that... )

Well thought out. Thanks for the input!
j.hensley
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to General Discussion