Flammable Dorm Fridge … ???

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Flammable Dorm Fridge … ???

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:32 am

Really !!! We went to the WalMart to buy a small dorm fridge for Trailer/EVAC use , Got it home and on the side it plainly says “ Flammable Refrigerant “ ... :frightened: Leaks or punctures may cause Fires …

The question is “is this acceptable “ ? Are all small cheap fridges Flammable ? … Now I really want to return it as I can’t trust leaving it alone running … I asked and it seemed Wal mart at the time didn’t carry any other fridge brands ( in the store at the time ) . :roll:

Would you trust it ? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Galanz-3-5-c ... k/45373923
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: Flammable Dorm Fridge … ???

Postby Jiminsav » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:32 am

as long as the pipes don't rupture, i don't see a problem..I'm just wondering what type of flammable gas they use?
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:42 am

Odd as it seems most refrigerants are not flammable. I wonder what they used and why. I'll look for this next time I'm shopping for a fridge.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:57 pm

Could be something like propane. I have a friend who rebuilt one of those old 1930"s refrigerators with the motor and coils on top of the box. He used propane as a refrigerant. It works well.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:31 pm

Being a worrier , we took it back for a refund …. No problem , but we’ll be sure to read the box on the next one we buy !!! ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:38 pm

Isobutane is what's listed as refrigerant

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:01 pm

It was the words catch fire or EXPLODE that was the concern … and it wasn’t even a Samsung … :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:25 pm

GPW wrote:... and it wasn’t even a Samsung … :roll:

Now that's funny!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:20 pm

The quantity of isobutane in fridges is pretty small, so while there is a risk, odds are you are in more danger from your propane stove than from the small amount of butane in the fridge. It's one of the new more environmentally friendly coolants we will be seeing over the next few years. If I read the specs right they only allow 150 grams of the coolant in a fridge system.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:20 pm

The quantity of isobutane in fridges is pretty small, so while there is a risk, odds are you are in more danger from your propane stove than from the small amount of butane in the fridge. It's one of the new more environmentally friendly coolants we will be seeing over the next few years. If I read the specs right they only allow 150 grams of the coolant in a fridge system.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:04 am

After seeing how quickly the refrigerator ( NoCold ) in the Jayco corroded to heck , ( and reports on the RV forums about all the refrigerator fires) I’m a bit leery ( overly cautious ) ! We’ve had two Lithium battery fire/explosions already and that was an unpleasant eye opener.
150 grams is over 5 ounces of flammable material ... :frightened: I figure that’s same as 5 ounces of gasoline … enough to burn the trailer down , or Explode .. :roll:

I’ll be looking for something else … something more innocuous ..
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Camp4Life » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:01 pm

Pretty sure this can happen with any fridge, even RV fridges. If your cooling rack/pipes leaks and you get that ammonia smell, don't light any flames or flick switches! It won't be a big fireball, but it'll be a quick violent pop.
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:17 am

“ Pretty sure this can happen with any fridge” I’m not quite sure this is true … We Know RV fridges do , Every RV forum is full of reefer Fire tales , and of course their solution is to spend more money on a new fridge and a very expensive extinguisher system .. FATUOUS and costly !!! :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Camp4Life » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:04 pm

I think we just hear about the RV fridge problem more because their rear cooling units are exposed to elements and end up rusty. They're also subjected to bumps and vibrations. These are all things a house fridge never have to deal with. I've actually never heard of a home fridge's cooling system leak. They usually die because of the compressor.
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:19 am

If your looking for a fridge to put inside the foam stream, the thing I would be concerned about isn't so much the explosion, as the ventilation. Most RV fridges have the cooling coils on an outside the living area. This keeps heat out of the interior, and if there is any sort of leak, it goes outside the living space. Standard RV fridges are filled with ammonia, but whether its ammonia, freon or butane, you don't want to fill the sleeping area with gas while you are asleep.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion