Custom required for tucked-under wheel designs?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Custom required for tucked-under wheel designs?

Postby John61CT » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:40 pm

I want a full-length bed sideways, and thick insulation, so I reckon I need a 7.5" outside box width.

I go off the pavement in the boonies, so don't want the wheels to extend outside that width.

I also need robust tires and a low COG, so a "deck over" design won't work; I am willing to have wheel wells inside the box.

Are there good quality makers that offer such a design as a standard option?

And also, if I choose to get a custom frame, could members please post recommendations?

I probably can't afford to go aluminium, but suggestions for that would also be welcome.

I'm planning to travel cross-country anyway, willing to do so to pick up the trailer, since I imagine great value for money makers would be thin on the ground in the northeast.

Thanks in advance!
John61CT
The 300 Club

Re: Custom required for tucked-under wheel designs?

Postby jandmz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:48 pm

You may be able to adapt and build on a stripped down popup camper frame. Most are of the width that you would require for a side to side bed arrangement and may already have the floor and wheel wells in place. Most modern designs use a torsion axle. There are lift kits available, but an older trailer that has leaf springs may be easier to lift for larger tires. So, there are ways around it, and a custom frame may not be required.
jandmz
Teardrop Master

Postby slowcowboy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:06 am

Consider the kampmaster design in the 1953 popular mechanic magazine. I been working on building it since Feb 2013 I have it 30 percent complete. It has all your needs.full size bed cross wise low slung but high enough to go off road on large 15 inch tires they didn't have theses smaller tires we got now days in the 50s...and you can actually stand up Inside the galley but still have a normal teardrop...slow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:48 am

Is the bed fore, aft or between the wheel wells? )I'm assuming the answer is not the latter since that would result in a trailer width of 9-10'.)
Tom (& Linda)
For more on our Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby John61CT » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:45 am

The recycled popup is a great tip!

Bed aft most likely, as I said, 7.5' is the max outside width I'd want. I believe 8.5' is the max legally, but even 8' is too much for me.
John61CT
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:55 am

slowcowboy wrote:Consider the kampmaster design in the 1953 popular mechanic magazine.
Nice design, may take some layout ideas.

But mine's not going to be like a tent, want good insulation.
John61CT
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion