things u love or hate

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: things u love or hate

Postby ae6black » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:18 pm

I'd of built a five wide if I knew the dog was going to be such a space hog.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:42 pm

I’d go at least 9 ft long. If you put a 80 inch long queen bed in, and subtract the wall depth, your galley is about 12 inches deep. With an extra foot you have a lot more room for a battery, water tank, storage etc.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Shep505 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:26 pm

Funny you say that because I'm thinking of using the Wyoming Woody plans as my starting point 5x9x4
Shep505
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jondbar628 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:36 pm

We went with a "squaredrop foamie" ( kind of a weekender-TD hybrid), to maximize interior space while maintaining a semblance of aerodynamics. Function over form, to a point..... The classic TD is elegant in it's shape and aerodynamics, but inefficient in interior usable space. 5 wide exterior - 56" interior- enough for a full sized mattress with an inch clearance on each side. Full 48" interior height (minus mattress thickness). No slide-out drawers in galley or bunk area. Bunk area cabinet doors are 5mm ply pullaways (no hinges, just magnetic catches). Open shelves. Netting where needed. Cheap & light. Cheap & light are the primary basis for my build. Of course, there are always trade-offs. Everyone has to make them. Pick your poison, but pick with the long-term view.........jd..................Forgot to add - mine is 9' 6" length on an HF 4 x 8, with extended reinforced tongue.
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby KTM_Guy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:48 pm

Shep505 wrote:Honestly, if I was riding solo I would consider the 4 footer but my wife is my best friend in life and she will be with me on every trip so those extra inches in bed width are golden real estate. I figure a queen at 60 inches would be so tight on the sides it would be hard to make the bed taking into account wall thickness if insulated. I think the full size will fit perfectly but that's as small as I want to go.

We are going with a Full XL, 54X80 Queen is 60x80. I wouldn't fit on a standard full. 54X74.

Todd
KTM_Guy
Teardrop Builder

Postby Andrew Herrick » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:01 am

True memory foam in a teardrop doesn't work in cold climates. It'll turn hard as a rock. High-density (2.8lb or better) polyurethane foam works better and can be custom-cut for your needs at online retailers like the Foam Factory.
Andrew Herrick
Teardrop Master

Postby Shep505 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:35 am

True memory foam in a teardrop doesn't work in cold climates. It'll turn hard as a rock.

Define cold. That make actually work in my favor cause I like very firm. I don't plan on camping beyond Thanksgiving in the NJ area with overnight temps maybe dropping into the low 40s. And doesn't the body heat warm it up anyway?
Shep505
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:07 am

Shep505 wrote:True memory foam in a teardrop doesn't work in cold climates. It'll turn hard as a rock.

Define cold. That make actually work in my favor cause I like very firm. I don't plan on camping beyond Thanksgiving in the NJ area with overnight temps maybe dropping into the low 40s. And doesn't the body heat warm it up anyway?

I can tell you that below 30F, it’s a rock. Body heat makes a rigid spot where you sink it, but it takes a while. It’s fine above 60, I’m not sure exactly when the cutoff is. My solution was to “ Pre heat” the interior with a propane heater for about 30 minutes until everything inside was above 70. Then the bed was soft, I still woke up in a form fitting space, but I fell asleep much easier. I recommend a base of non- memory foam, with a layer of memory foam on top. 4 inches of MF let me sink to the hard floor on warmer nights.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby rivernstream » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:29 am

Same a 60 inch foam Matress will fit a smaller space. Mine is also 57.5. I ordered my foam 5" from https://www.foamorder.com. Call them and they will walk you through to the best solution. I had mine cut to 58 wide and in 4 pieces because I have a platform that becomes a couch (with cargo space under the floor) and sewed covers. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rivernstream
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shep505 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:33 pm

[quote="rivernstream"]Same a 60 inch foam Matress will fit a smaller space. Mine is also 57.5. I ordered my foam 5" from https://www.foamorder.com.

Thanks,,, i just checked out this website and it looks like they are be my go to.
Shep505
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bc toys » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:51 am

Can't think of anything I hate about my trailer :thinking: and I love the space in it :D . It is 6Wx10LX6H and hope when I finish it this time it will stay as it is :twisted:
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Shep505 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:31 pm

That an interesting project bc toys. Looks like you're going to have some really comfortable living space.
Shep505
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to General Discussion