portable space heaters.

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: portable space heaters.

Postby Pinstriper » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:43 pm

Heater Buddies come in 3 sizes: the single can size that it supposed to fit in a golf cart, the single can with the square burner, and then the big 2 can unit, I think they call that the Big Daddy or something.

I have the 2 smaller units, but have yet to cold season camp with them.

I also have a popup canopy with walls, but I've only used that in the summer to keep the wind and rain off the dog pen.

That said, your idea of using that as an outdoor heated space has merit - though I'm not convinced it will hold the heat all that well.

I am setting my TD up for some cold weather camping (ie. snow on the ground) the first time this winter. I will be bringing firewood for a big bonfire, and the smaller propane heater for either heating up the inside of the TD, or to huddle around under the canopy. I am also planning on the 1k generator, with the 350w electric heater inside the TD.

I think the last will be a very effective "cozy" space for sleeping. I figure during the day, it will be large bonfire for heat.

These are just my formative thoughts so far. I figure I'll survive, and then learn what to do for comfort to apply to subsequent trips. This is a winter hunting camp, so I expect there will be a canvas wall tent and woodstove somewhere in the mix.

In summation, no cohesive plan, just some related ideas to help kick around the conversation.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby daveesl77 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:54 am

Hi Slow,

We have done what you talk about many times in the past. Either set up an ezup canopy or at times we would bring a 10 x 20 HF canopy. We have an 18,000 btu space heater that mounts on the top of a big propane tank and also one of those round Little Buddy heaters. I'll put the Lil Buddy inside the camper for a few minutes in the morning to knock off the chill if the temps dropped into the 30s or 40s overnight. Only takes a few minutes. I made some side walls that fit either our ezup or big canopy. Fire up the main space heater and it is toasty inside. This includes when we have had some really strong winds or rain or both with temps at around freezing. To be honest, the Little Buddy is overkill for our needs in the camper. It is a lot bigger in physical size than I thought, and while the BTU value is only about 3,000 putting it inside for 10 minutes is usually more than enough.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:47 am

Slow, what you are proposing is called a HOT TENT

they've been around for A LONG TIME and work quite well as long as your expectations are reasonable

the one i've been associated with is about 16' x 30' and is heated with a 3' x 5' wood fired ground stove that does a real well job of knocking the chill off to a point where we can cook w/o wearing heavy coats in sub freezing weather

the primary difference in the one we use and the one you are proposing is simply the heat source and yours wouldn't require the fire proof chimney hole

Google HOT TENT(be cautious because some hot tenters are risqué naturists also :shock: )

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Cosmo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:27 pm

I have used the Little Buddy 3800-BTUs on a couple of occasions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C ... UTF8&psc=1

It has two speeds ON and OFF. I prefer to ignite it outdoors or with the door open and bring it in once the heating element is hot (red). It seems to output fumes when its not at the correct operating temperature. On one occasion the oxygen sensor turned it off. Since then I operate it with the window open and roof vent open. In my trailer I need only run it for 5 or 10 min before its toasty warm and I turn it off. Also as we are aware Propane combustion outputs water vapor which can contribute to condensation,

I would not sleep the burner running. Overall its fine but the physical shape could be better, I think a fuel canister lasts about 4 hours.

I may have forced hot air heat installed next year. That draws air from the outside and vents to the outside.

A little Dom Pérignon, a Duraflame log and a likeminded guest will generate plenty of environmentally friendly heat (maybe a little condensation too).

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby low277 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:43 am

Where I work they use all sizes of trailers for mobile workshops, some of the newest ones have a Webasto or Espar air heater, they are 12 volt powered for the fan and burn diesel fuel. I think they are expensive but they sure seem like a nice unit.
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion