Quiet is all I ask Generator Box

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Quiet is all I ask Generator Box

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:00 am

Now many folks feel they need a Generator. Others get smat and ad solar. It you need and must have one Please think of the next guy .....
google : building a generator quiet box
research
http://tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=post&f=2

also figure out how to lock it because the most stolen thing at camp site are expensive generator's

I camp for the Quiet and park over night near any big RV means there is some fool who lives in his own world and will make us all miserable.
At our gatherings that type is asked to never come back. :x
So be cool and think about your neighbors if you need a Generator.

I would look at solar first, no gas to buy.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: Quiet is all I ask Generator Box

Postby Padilen » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:56 pm

I chose a generator over solar. I also chose a low decibel​ unit. Cost, space, and ability to install are my reasons. But I don't usually camp in popular areas. Nor does mine run 24/7. I think 9-10 pm is as late as I'd run mine. If I was by others, I'd expect them not to sit around a campfire drinking and getting louder as the hours tick away, until dawn. Those are the ones I'd ask to leave, about noon when they finally come out.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:43 am

Sorry I am usually not that negative, i let my emotions get in the way.

I Just thought it would be interesting to show ideas for making a camping trip more quiet.
People often camp to get away from the noises and hear nature speak.

But it is also good to hear the other side of the coin as well. Thank you!!

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:53 am

We have 150 watts of solar and if there is the ability to use the sun, then solar goes on first. We can also charge from the tow vehicle, which is pretty darn quiet. However, we did buy a 2,000 watt Predator gennie from HF. It is very, very quiet, sips gas and seldom runs above an idle. I would never run it after about 8pm (if that late). We simply don't need it to run alot, as the battery/inverter setup can run everything we have (except the AC, if we bring that) and only need to charge a few hours at a time. The gennie is so quiet that on our last trip, we had it placed about 50 feet from the camper, in the trees. We were in an NSF camping area with few other people. The day we ran it during the afternoon was when the wife made a crockpot stew for the campers. Several people came by to see the camper and after a few minutes all asked if we had a generator running. They did not know it previously, but once at the campsite they could barely make out the hum.

Is a generator a necessity? No way, but a QUIET one is nice to have. Those that piss me off are the people that bring a contractor unit with them. That is just insane. And yes, you can make an inverter gennie even quieter by building a collapsible generator box, to easy make it where you essentially cannot hear it at all. But that may be a bit of overkill in most circumstances.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:32 am

We love our solar panel.
It takes very little space to transport, easy to set up, keeps our fridge running, no gas to carry or buy, and there is "NO" noise! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
And as for running generators only until 8:00 or 9:00 pm? :thinking: The worst time to hear one running is during the day when you are trying to enjoy your camping experience, or visit with friends, or enjoy some quiet solitude. :roll: Who wants to hear a generator running al day.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Bill n Robi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:57 am

So for us, portable solar in the day, folded up and put away ay night. Generator, ultra quiet, converted to propane so no smell or danger from the exhaust, locked down to a security bracket on the tongue. Run it when there isn't sunshine to charge the batteries, in the heat to cool the TD, all within limits of the campground's regulations or in courtesy to neighbors nearby we limit it. I have had people actually stop by to see the TD and be amazed that there was a generator running.

While I agree that there are some idiots (I'll refrain from using vulgar names) that don't think about anyone but them selves, we've only come across a few. I think it's because we camp with a better class of people. It seems that it is the "one timers" that are the worse. Not to pick on one group but have to relate one story.

Camping in the Sequoias we watched this giant rental RV pull in, to a small trailer/tent site, with four vehicles. The poor camp host had a time with these people and they had no clue, parking where they wanted not in the designated overflow and in other camp sites. They probably didn't want to walk, especially the 4 young women who apparently only brought high heels, I mean really HIGH heels. Well, they left a generator running all night, not like it was needed. Our TD is so insulated we couldn't hear it but all the poor tent campers near them had a terrible night. They ended up having to call the rangers away from the fires that were going on, to evict them as they were being very belligerent.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:19 am

I’ve got a small generator, primarily for the AC when off grid, but it’s not usually generators that spoil the quiet for me. It’s someone playing a radio. I pay extra for electricity when it’s available, and 1/2 the time the camp next to me runs a stereo all day long. They will even leave in a hike and let it go. I’d rather hear a my generator.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:40 pm

Socal Tom wrote:I’ve got a small generator, primarily for the AC when off grid, but it’s not usually generators that spoil the quiet for me. It’s someone playing a radio. I pay extra for electricity when it’s available, and 1/2 the time the camp next to me runs a stereo all day long. They will even leave in a hike and let it go. I’d rather hear a my generator.
Tom

Good point! You are of the same opinion as my wife. :roll:
I spent good money on a nice stereo system for our Td c/w side and outside speakers, so we cold enjoy soft music as we slept or something nice and relaxing while enjoying breakfast or an evening beverage. :thinking:
But, unless we are camped alone or miles away from the nearest camper. Sandi never lets me have the stereo on, or if I am aloud, it has to be so quiet I can't hear it.
Not a big music lover myself, but I thought it would be nice to have. :oops:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Bill n Robi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:58 pm

We have collected quite a few 'nature sounds' CD's over the years. It is really nice to put on and sit in the galley. Funniest thing that ever happened was out in the eastern Sierra's. I had put on a 'desert songs' which had a lot of coyotes, thunder storms in it. Someone stopped by the next morning to ask me if I heard the 'wolves' and the thunder. That night I put on 'peaceful pond' with birds and bullfrogs, didn't hear that one I guess.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby DIY_Stu » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:14 pm

This topic concerns me, as I know my generator is loud. But I am going the be building a new muffler for it, vibration mat the crank case and building a box with fan. Maybe just maybe I can keep from buying another.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
DIY_Stu
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:32 pm

DIY_Stu wrote:This topic concerns me, as I know my generator is loud. But I am going the be building a new muffler for it, vibration mat the crank case and building a box with fan. Maybe just maybe I can keep from buying another.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

There are a lot of videos on YouTube about how to quiet a generator. The best one I saw was pretty simple. They just laid play wood against it, and it angled the sound into the ground.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion