Colorado: State Forest State Park

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Colorado: State Forest State Park

Postby JuneBug » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Probably the most boring and misleading state park name of all time, but State Forest State Park west northwest of Fort Collins, is now on my bucket list:
cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/parks/StateForest/Pages/default.aspx
In the ultimate rugged Colorado, State Forest State Park offers visitors 71,000 acres of forest, jagged peaks, alpine lakes, wildlife and miles of trails. The park stretches along the west side of the Medicine Bow Mountains and into the north end of the Never Summer Range.

Moose is our claim to fame. North Park is considered the moose viewing capital of Colorado, with over 600 moose to be observed year-round.

State Forest State Park has something for everyone in every season. With so much room and diversity, visitors can experience a bountiful array of outdoor recreational favorites such as camping, hiking, four-wheeling, horseback riding, skiing, snowshoeing, telemarking, snowboarding, snowmobiling, fishing, hunting, birding, wildlife viewing and geocaching.
They don't mention 130 miles of mountain bike-able trails.
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Re: Colorado: State Forest State Park

Postby Rainier70 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:44 pm

Beautiful area. You'll have a great time. If you get the chance, drive through the Poudre River Canyon on the Fort Collins side.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby sodatrain » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:51 pm

JuneBug wrote:They don't mention 130 miles of mountain bike-able trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--
My 7x7x14 Tandem Axel build thread: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69731
sodatrain
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:08 pm

Spent the two weeks after Labor Day 2013 (tent) camping at State Forest State Park, on a lake. There was a bald eagle nesting on the other side. Had a moose walk up to within 50 feet of me on one hike. Found some wild blueberries, fire weed, and rose hips. I'd read about the latter two in wilderness survival guides and tried them in some meals--not bad.

Since it was after Labor Day, the family campers were gone and it was all hunters and fishermen. No one asked where I worked (as it happens, I worked for the federal government and was on a mandated furlough they'd had that year, since Congress couldn't agree on a budget), so it was a great time to forget work, and a time for reflection.

A friend owns a radio weather service in Wyoming and the only familiar voice the whole trip was his, with the daily weather forecast. It had rained a bit (which I enjoy, even when camping), especially the second week, and I remember him saying "my we've had a lot of rain!" one day. The hunters warned me the road from Ft Collins had been closed due to flooding, but I really didn't have the whole story until later: The authorities also closed Rocky Mountain NP (just on the other side of the Never Summer Mountains), and used the park's through road as an emergency route for Estes Park and other places on the Eastern side of the mountains. I'd hiked to some of the reservoirs for Ft Collins, and was perhaps the only one who saw them that week. If I'd known, I could have given them reports on the overflow. The flooding even made national news. On my drive home (leaving to the West) someone texted asking if I was okay. Why wouldn't I be, I wondered?

That was my last camping trip as a single person. Met Shelly that Christmas break, and we were married in November 2014 (me, at the young age of 52). Not saying self reflection during the trip had anything to do with that, per se, but it was a wonderful culmination to the portion of my life as a loner.

State Forest State Park is a wonderful place to camp, hike, practice camping skills (including survival skills, if you choose), and enjoy other related activities that don't involve the touristy sights or crowds of the National Parks.

Tom

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:59 pm

When I read the first post I saw Ft. Collins and thought "Front Range ugh" but thats not really front range. I'll put that on the bucket list.

Thanks

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby mkitchen » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:11 pm

This is an area that I had not heard about. Thank you for the heads up. Are the trails that you mentioned open to motor bikes as well as mountain bikes?
Mikey
mkitchen
Teardrop Master

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:09 pm

This is a test to see if I know how to link a picture from the gallery. If successful, this is a moose from State Forest State Park, Sept 2013:

If unsuccessful, I have no idea whose moose this is... :thinking:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Return to General Discussion