How big is too big?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

How big is too big?

Postby JamesDixonLR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:25 pm

I've got a 7 foot wide by 10 foot long trailer I extracted from an old pop-up tent camper. I'm planning to build something like the Compact3 with a lifting roof. Ideally it would be 5 feet tall (above the trailer) so I could put it in my garage and then the lifting roof would enable me to not have to stoop the entire time I'm inside.
My concern is that is too wide to be practical given its height. My tow vehicle has a width of 64 inches between the start of the side mirrors with them being about six inches long so a maximum width of about 76 inches. Mirror extenders could help me see around it or a full time rear view camera.
I could cut the width down to 5 foot but I would hate to lose that much width. I could leave the trailer as is but build the camper narrower, leaving several inches of runner on either side. Maybe that could be used for long skinny storage of some sort.
Anyway, what's you experience in this scenario?
Thanks.
Jim Dixon
Little Rock
JamesDixonLR
Teardrop Builder

Re: How big is too big?

Postby les45 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:17 am

I would keep it full width. You will appreciate the extra room. It will also allow you to build your bed lengthwise from side to side giving you even more room inside. You might get some ideas from my project of renovating a pop-up with hard walls. Check out my journal at this link: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64782
les45
500 Club

Return to General Discussion