Awning

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Awning

Postby rkanz » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:14 am

I have been looking at these awnings and am considering buying one. It appears they would work well on a hatch or over the doors. I am concerned how they hold up in the wind. If you have one can you provide you thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/KingCamp-COMPASS ... M61X2XNQ2F

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rkanz
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Awning

Postby kudzu » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:12 pm

The awning material seems a bit thin. Though I've scraped it against the corner of the aluminum extrusion on my camper & while it did leave a visible scrape, it didn't tear. It's a bit harder to set up by myself than I'd anticipated, primarily because each time I've been in breezy/windy conditions. It's also really difficult to attach to the vehicle by myself. If there are two people it's fine. Haven't used it for very long at a time so can't say how it would hold up to high wind conditions. It's fine in moderate breezes. I suspect the poles wouldn't hold up well in high winds, but that's just a guess.
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby rkanz » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:37 pm

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rkanz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Nobes » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:29 am

I use a pop-up canopy. Very easy to set up. I've never used the kind you mention, but based on the picture I think the pop-up is easier. Mine is a 12x12. Bought it at Lowes. Priced about $170, but the box was torn and it was the last one, so I offered them $80. Bought it for $120--based on internet prices I had been viewing, quite a deal.

When we're cooking we move it to go over the hatch. At night we put it over the body of the TD--gives us coverage coming out the doors. We like it.
Nobes
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:55 pm

Nobes wrote:I use a pop-up canopy. Very easy to set up. I've never used the kind you mention, but based on the picture I think the pop-up is easier. Mine is a 12x12. Bought it at Lowes. Priced about $170, but the box was torn and it was the last one, so I offered them $80. Bought it for $120--based on internet prices I had been viewing, quite a deal.

When we're cooking we move it to go over the hatch. At night we put it over the body of the TD--gives us coverage coming out the doors. We like it.
  • I tried to design my own awning, one that would be easy to set-up, with attachment points already mounted on the trailer, but it turned out too complicated, requiring many holes to drill and seal, and over $200 dollars in parts. I chose to continue to use my Ezy-Up canopy, bought at Academy for $50, in 2013, and my side-tents, when needed. I also bought another canopy, which I can use to set up over my galley, for additional shelter when cooking, but haven't used it , yet. It cost $80, I think. When, and if, I get a SUV to use (instead of my 2500HD pickup), I'll probably buy a bag awning, or use one of the simplified plans for building one, from the internet, to shield the interior access to the SUV, during rain. Here's a link to my failed plan to replace my canopy with my problematic, labyrinthine, design. Or with a larger, EMT conduit/angled fittings/tarp kit, from a manufacturer. Though I have had problems with setting up by myself, sometimes, I figure that if one piece breaks, or the canopy gets torn, then I always have a partial back-up, and replacement is cheaper: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=60607&hilit=+flagpole#p1201414
  • And a quote from another thread, about why I need the canopies/side tents, and how I set up camp >>> Canopies, tarps, raincoats, and waterproof boots. It seems like half of my trips are rainy outings. Some with torrential rain. I use a canopy offset to one side, placed over my 4x8, to leave a 4 ft. area of shelter over my main door. On the other side, I either have a canopy sidewall or an attached side-tent, to shield it from rain (a door leaked once, when it sat partially open, and incompletely sealed; the canopy dumped directly on the seal). I place my chair, a plastic cookstand, and one of my attached side-tents under the sheltered side, and use a teepee type tent for my Luggable-Loo porta-potty (if I'm not using the floored side-tent, on the other side). I carry an extra canopy, two waterproof 8x10 tarps, and two ponchos as back-ups, to my gear. I store my raincoat and my boots inside my 4x8 trailer, in a small rectangular wastebasket in the corner, at my feet. Since I camp alone, this set-up worked well, last time out, and should be my regular procedure from now on.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to General Discussion