Fridge Options, Please...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Fridge Options, Please...

Postby pralfred » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:54 am

Because I am planning on pulling my drop with a motorcycle, weight is my biggest enemy with my build. I could make the space for a fridge, and I could make the space for a large enough battery bank and inverter...but all the added weight is going to put my build over-weight if I go that route. I wasn't a huge fan of the ice-in-a-cooler option either, so my mentor and I came up with a unique solution. We're going to build an insulated ice-chest under the galley counter that will be constructed like a modern fridge (sealing door, fiberglass lined, silicone sealed) but be cooled by dry ice. To cool it we're going to use a wire rack/drawer at the top of the cooler to hold a block of dry ice and let convection do it's thing. Science for the (hopeful) win! We haven't tested this solution yet, but when we get to that part of my build and do test it I'll be posting then as to whether or not it actually holds up in practice to the theory. We will be testing this out before I hit the road to determine how cold we can get the ice-box and for how long it will stay cold enough to keep perishables in it. I'll then be costing out the dry ice for extended trips to see if it's worth doing long term or if I'll just have to get used to not having much cold food. Perhaps this is not the type of option you want to consider, but I figured I'd share in case the idea peeks your interest.
"While there is tea, there is hope." --Sir Arthur Pinero
pralfred
Teardrop Builder

Re: Fridge Options, Please...

Postby Cosmo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:18 am

Maybe start off with an inexpensive cooler then work your way up to what works best?

I am using a Dometic CFX 35. It only draws .45 amps an hour on DC **(after the food temp is stabilized). Fridge runs on AC and DC. It holds one cubic foot of food. Not a lot but if packed carefully it holds a lot. If you are buying ice - calculate your costs. Ice costs add up. Fridge/cooler options do open up lots of possibilities for great food!

If you are considering a fridge - a fridge fan really helps. It evens out the temp in the box. If you want zone cooling (top to bottom - skip the fan. I use the fan most of the time. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006 ... UTF8&psc=1

One advantage of ice over a fridge is... ice for beverages. The disadvantage of ice is of course ice. It was a love hate thing for me with the water that can soak food. I own the fridge but still use coolers when appropriate. Low initial purchase price of many good coolers (but not all) is very attractive.

On the high end of cooler price a fridge starts to look competitive (for me) when you factor in the ice costs over time.

I called Yeti to find out the "R" rating of the urethane foam insulation they use and they would not tell me! Without that you cant really compare the insulation properties of coolers and understand what you are getting for the money.

My $18 Fifty quart cooler )purchased at Dicks) augmented with Reflectix lasted 5 days with block ice. I probably could have gotten 6 or 7 days with a $400 Yeti... Temps were in the mid 70s in the daytime.

Pre cool for best performance

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion