HELP 1947 KIT

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

HELP 1947 KIT

Postby tmbraun » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:53 am

Hi all. My husband and I just purchased an old retro, but in very good shape, 1947 teardrop Kit camper. I am so excited to work on this and bring it up to usable condition. My husband has to rebuild the hatch door, and the cooler door is also missing. With all of you experienced teardrop campers out there, I thought maybe some of you knew where we might find parts, like the lit to the cooler, or even what the water tank is for? We don't see a sink anywhere, so not sure about that. And pictures of refurbished originals would be awesome. If you can point me in the right direction, I would be grateful. We have a 1931 Ford roadster this will be pulled behind, painted to match!
tmbraun
Teardrop Inspector

Re: HELP 1947 KIT

Postby tony.latham » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:21 am

tmbraun wrote:Hi all. My husband and I just purchased an old retro, but in very good shape, 1947 teardrop Kit camper. I am so excited to work on this and bring it up to usable condition. My husband has to rebuild the hatch door, and the cooler door is also missing. With all of you experienced teardrop campers out there, I thought maybe some of you knew where we might find parts, like the lit to the cooler, or even what the water tank is for? We don't see a sink anywhere, so not sure about that. And pictures of refurbished originals would be awesome. If you can point me in the right direction, I would be grateful. We have a 1931 Ford roadster this will be pulled behind, painted to match!

Give George a call:

http://teardropparts.com/

Good guy and very knowledgeable about the old classics.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby pralfred » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:45 pm

tmbraun wrote:Hi all. My husband and I just purchased an old retro, but in very good shape, 1947 teardrop Kit camper. I am so excited to work on this and bring it up to usable condition. My husband has to rebuild the hatch door, and the cooler door is also missing. With all of you experienced teardrop campers out there, I thought maybe some of you knew where we might find parts, like the lit to the cooler, or even what the water tank is for? We don't see a sink anywhere, so not sure about that. And pictures of refurbished originals would be awesome. If you can point me in the right direction, I would be grateful. We have a 1931 Ford roadster this will be pulled behind, painted to match!

Welcome to the forum! Also, congrats on the 1947 TD kit, and the 1931 Roadster! Those are both really cool! Do you have a manufacturer name for your kit? I may not have the experience that many of the folks on the forum do, but I have lots of experience with research...I would be more than happy to see what kind of info I can dig up if you can post the names of the manufacturer, the particular kit model (and/or model number), etc. See if I can't find some data for you, and perhaps some more neat ideas for me to incorporate into my own build along the way!

P.S. I'd LOVE to see pics of that Roadster!
"While there is tea, there is hope." --Sir Arthur Pinero
pralfred
Teardrop Builder

Postby mary and bob » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:22 pm

"Kit" is the manufacturer. We have a 1946 Modernistic teardrop we restored about 10 years ago. Had to make some of the aluminum panels and the wood ribs for the hatch.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby prohandyman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:39 pm

The icebox lid was just a piece of wood, like a cutting block. And the water tank supplied water to a spigot the mounted on the front of the cabinet. Yes no sink
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Return to General Discussion