Brainstorming 2 With Separate Sleeping Need

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Brainstorming 2 With Separate Sleeping Need

Postby Cathy P. » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:55 am

I had hoped to travel alone with my dog, but as it turns out my son, an adult with Down syndrome will be traveling with me also after a few unsuccessful attempts at finding day/residential services for him. So, I have been looking at 5' and 6', 6' gets pretty wide with the wheels on the outside, but would allow a little more space. I would want to set up distinctly separate sleeping "platforms". I considered elevating one mattress maybe 12", also, with some of the 6', we might be able to sleep side-to-side, both my son and myself are 5' 4". I hope to go for an "adventure" of an extended version! I have been looking at this for some time, and want to keep it small and simple. I have a 2007 Durango in good shape set up for towing, so no issue there, I don't think. Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions, etc.
Cathy P.
Teardrop Master

Re: Brainstorming 2 With Separate Sleeping Need

Postby ae6black » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:18 pm

I have a 17 foot Coachman bunkhouse trailer that worked fine for this application. I used to pull this camper with a 2007 Dodge Durango and never even knew it was back there. My downs syndrome son would only sleep on the bed made out of the table. And nobody could sleep with him. That was his sleeping space and sacred space period. You don't change things with many downs children regardless of how old they are. If a sibling or anyone else tried to get near his space, he'd throw a fit until the interloper was gone. Having a bathroom with a shower and tub and air conditioning can be a major asset compared to the more primitive camping normally done in a Teardrop or small camper when a special needs member of the family is camping with you. For instance my son preferred his sacred space in the camper to being out around the campfire with the family even when we didn't have shore power and it was unbearably hot inside. Some of these used campers go for a song if sold by private parties, dealers seem to want as much for a used unit as they do for a new one.

Sadly, when my divorce goes through, one way or another that trailer that has only been used a handful of times is going to be gone. I'd be willing to bet that you might run into such a situation near you if that's an option. Having a bathroom with a shower and tub and air conditioning can be a major asset compared to the more primitive camping normally done in a Teardrop or small camper when a special needs member of the family is along. Remember, most people don't use their campers once they shell out the cash for them. Personally, I'd rather camp out of my homemade tear drop than I would this camper that I bought for my family. Just seeing that unit parked in the driveway, makes me want to practically give it away just to get rid of it. I wish you the best, Downs children of all ages can be so loving, yet at the same time, quite stubborn and resistant to change. If your son isn't used to camping, he may not take to it well now that he's an adult.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby Cathy P. » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:58 pm

Thanks, Art. He likes camping as we started tent camping when he was 15 months old! We have traveled with a TT and a motorhome in the past also. I am trying to only tweak my retirement plan (was supposed to finally be my turn after 31 years of waiting, so.........), trying to work within certain guidelines. A larger unit would be more than I could handle on my own with systems that I am all too familiar with when they fail or fall apart. My son redefines "stubborn" in ways that ..........
Cathy P.
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:45 pm

Cathy, you can do just about anything you want. When I built my tiny travel trailer, I made it modular so I could do many things with it. The beds can be made into an almost queen size (59X73") or two cots (22x73") or anything in-between. Please note that a 22" wide bed is the very smallest advisable; however, it allows for a 15" walkway between beds, which the smallest possible to still be able to walk comfortably and be able to turn around in the aisle. A 22" cot is the width of the beds on submarines. Pics, below..."

153607 153608

My trailer is 5' wide. If you are going to make two beds that will always stay as two beds, I would most likely build platforms (depending on door access) and either make the top of the platforms removable or hinged or put drawers underneath for easy access or do a little of each. Please recognize that, regardless of what style bed you do, you will need to consider your exit plan...: Where is the door? If the door is in the middle of the back or front, the center aisle is a perfect solution. If the door is on one or both sides, maybe not. If the door is at the side of the beds, I would not put a platform in that area; but rather, have that area of the bed be either collapsible or removable, or have the entire bed on the floor, for obvious reasons. (I have a door in the center of the back plus a door on the side; so, the bottom 30" of my bed platforms are removable.)

You could also put one cot in the Durango and one bed in the trailer, if you can trust your son to sleep alone. Or, you could have a tent on the side with a cot in it and sleep with your window partially open on that side. There are tents that can be erected in less than a minute! Or, you could go for tent with a little porch-like flap area and have an outside "living room" between the tent and the trailer. ...So many ways to do what you want.....

You just have to think and dream about what you want and it is achievable. My favorite thing to do is to go to bed thinking about how to do something and let my brain work while I sleep. Usually, when I awake in the morning, I have the answer.

Best Wishes!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Cathy P. » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:22 pm

Thank you Sharon. Yeah, I think elevated as I remember all too well trying to sleep on a tent floor 2 adults, 2 boys and a large dog! Every being was every which way by the middle of the night! It will challenging, but that is what keeps life interesting, for me anyway.
Cathy P.
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion