What tires should i use

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

What tires should i use

Postby dancam » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:18 pm

Im not sure what section to post this in, i didnt find much discussion on tires here. If there are good threads you know of please post a link for me.
I built a camping trailer from a 5×10 utility trailer. Loaded it will be around 1700 pounds. Its actually 12ft long and the tongue will be loaded heavy, but im still worried about trailer stability for reasons youll see when you see the photo.
It still has the 2000pound leaf springs but i installed a 3500 pound axle for the bigger brakes.
Now, the tow vehicle has good tires and much larger than stock brakes off another car. However i still want the trailer to be able to do a lot of the braking. I will be doing a 20k mile trip this summer through the rockies, yukon, alaska and so on.
The tires it came with are bias ply
Carlisle Sport trail LH  St175/80D13

Load range B 2 ply nylon 500kg at 35 psi. (1100 pounds).

So from my research it appears that the only possible benefit of bias ply tires for my situation could be that some say the stiffer sidewalls reduce trailer sway. However everything else is a negative with some sites saying bias plys only last 15k miles which is shorter than my trip.
So im wondering what peoples experiences are with bias ply vs radial trailer tires. Is there a difference in stability? In braking ability? It looks like a radial tire should give much better performance in braking. But i wont be able to test out the trailer until were basically ready to leave, im way behind on it. Ive towed it unloaded only and its super stable, but its obviously not loaded and its light so i have to turn the brake power down.

I was going to get these tires balanced and use them but im leaning more towards replacing them with the same size radial trailer tires that cost a lot more.... any opinions or experience would be helpful! Especially if anyone has worn down bias ply trailer tires, i have a hard time believing they only last 15k miles....

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
ImageImage
dancam
500 Club

Re: What tires should i use

Postby swoody126 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:21 am

either way you end up going you are pushing the limits of the "ST" tires

for such an adventure you might consider "LT" (light truck) tires in LOAD RANGE C which would be considered over kill by some butt for me it would simply be INSURANCE

if you decide to stay with the "ST" tires goto LOAD RANGE C as a minimum and carry(never be with less than) a pair of spares

EVERYONE has their own preferrences about RADIAL/BIAS and since your TV is short coupled and quite light in weight SWAY is a REAL CONCERN, one that i can't speak to since both my TV's are substantially larger longer & heavier

you will have your work cut out for you on a 20K mile trip towing the pictured trailer behind the pictured TV

give strong consideration to allowing more time and reducing your speed/daily distance expectations

IMHO you will be pushing more than one envelope

carry a good STABLE jack and a good lug wrench along with an assortment of wooden blocks for soft ground

a roll up closed cell foam sleeping pad(one of the blue ones) makes a good kneeling pad when changing tires on the side of the road

a small tarp aids in crawling under a rig for jack placement

take a NEON VEST like highway workers wear for wearing during roadside emergencies(i pick 'em up on the side of the road and the bridal unit washes them for me to keep in each vehicle)

TAKE CARE

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby John61CT » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:22 am

If at all possible try to make trailer's wheels functionally interchangeable with your TV wheels.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rkanz » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:09 am

I can’t completely answer your question about tire wear. But I do know switching to radial tires improved the ride of my trailer. The cost of radial tires is not much more than bias tires.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tires_ ... _Inch.aspx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rkanz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dancam » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:19 pm

John61CT wrote:If at all possible try to make trailer's wheels functionally interchangeable with your TV wheels.

Not possible unfortunaly, 5 bolt vs 4 bolt pattern. I dont think 3500pound trailer axles come in 4x100

swoody126 wrote:either way you end up going you are pushing the limits of the "ST" tires

for such an adventure you might consider "LT" (light truck) tires in LOAD RANGE C which would be considered over kill by some butt for me it would simply be INSURANCE

if you decide to stay with the "ST" tires goto LOAD RANGE C as a minimum and carry(never be with less than) a pair of spares

EVERYONE has their own preferrences about RADIAL/BIAS and since your TV is short coupled and quite light in weight SWAY is a REAL CONCERN, one that i can't speak to since both my TV's are substantially larger longer & heavier

you will have your work cut out for you on a 20K mile trip towing the pictured trailer behind the pictured TV

give strong consideration to allowing more time and reducing your speed/daily distance expectations

carry a good STABLE jack and a good lug wrench along with an assortment of wooden blocks for soft ground

a roll up closed cell foam sleeping pad(one of the blue ones) makes a good kneeling pad when changing tires on the side of the road

take a NEON VEST like highway workers wear for wearing during roadside emergencies(i pick 'em up on the side of the road and the bridal unit washes them for me to keep in each vehicle)

TAKE CARE

sw

Thanks for the reply and advice!
Why would trailer tires be worse than truck tires on a trailer?
And i havent looked yet but the 175/80 13 is more a small passenger car size rather than a truck tire size and the passenger car tires have even softer sidewalls than the LT's. I could look though.

With carrying 2 spares- i have a tire pressure monitor system for car and trailer with an alarm if the pressure drops. It also tells me tire temperature. So the tire will never be underinflated and if i get a nail i will be able to pull over before i run out of air and blow it up. I have an air pump and tire plugs and plan to carry 1 spare. If i need to use it i will stop in the next town to buy another spare. Thats my plan anyway, hope its sufficient. I am bringing a small floor jack (stable) and i will plan for a piece of wood to set under the jack for soft ground, thanks! My tpms isnt on in this photo but its on the dash on the far right. The alarm is pretty loud.

As far as time/speed goes i have a better torque to weight ratio than a loaded semi but less gears, i figure to drive like you would with a big truck and plan for those kind of speeds as well.

dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:24 pm

rkanz wrote:I can’t completely answer your question about tire wear. But I do know switching to radial tires improved the ride of my trailer. The cost of radial tires is not much more than bias tires.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tires_ ... _Inch.aspx

Ok, i saw that looking online. But i am in Canada and locally they are about double. I can get a bias ply on a rim for $90 and the radial on a rim is $175.
Found a place with cheaper radials but they dont sell the bias ply to compare to. Although i assume they would be cheaper as well.

dancam
500 Club

Postby drhill » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:41 pm

You are going to have a great trip. Don't worry too much about spares, one will do. In several decades of towing I have only had one flat,, just a few days after somebody took my spare. I use St205-75R14 tires and run them about 32 psi with the teardrop and up to 50 psi when I am using it as a utility trailer with a serious load. I also have the 3500 lb axle and started with cheap american 2500 lb springs but have since changed to 3500 lb (per pair) springs. It did ride nicer with the 2500lb springs when the load is light. Since it doesn't look like your trailer will ever haul shingles or firewood, you should be good with ST175-80R13's. As for wear - I am up about 28,000 km on mine now and the wear is hardly noticeable.

& take your eyes off all those gauges and enjoy the scenery.
Don
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:11 am

swoody126 wrote:either way you end up going you are pushing the limits of the "ST" tires

TAKE CARE

sw
  • I used (very used, 12+ years-old, with age-cracking, and multiple plugs/patches on each) Carlisle bias-ply ST tires in ST205-75C 14, until last year, when I switched to LT tires on my TTT. My trailer had grown so heavy, that I just knew that it was past time for new tires, so I tried to find good non-Chinese tires(I've had bad luck with some) as replacements. I also wanted tires with good tread design and firm sidewalls, so LT tires were my choice (General Grabber 27-8.50-14 AT2, bought via Amazon).
  • Granted, you are running 13" wheels, instead of 14", but you might consider getting larger wheels to fit the larger/stronger (more capable LT) tires, just for safety's sake. 14" or larger, is the way to go, because there are absolutely zero LT tires out there in 13" size. I still use one of my Carlisle bias-ply tires as a spare, JIC, but intend to get another AT2, soon, but I travel over mostly good roads, and in daylight, so it's not a priority, yet. If I were to undertake a lengthy trip, over unknown roads in varying states of repair, I'd be sure to carry a really fresh spare (identical replacements might be hard to find). I could only find two brands of 14" LT tires, at that time, but have since found another brand, Kenda, a Chinese tire.
  • Investing in new tires and wheels would be achievable for under $500 in the US, but for an unknown cost in Canada; but that would only be a fraction of the cost of your contemplated trip. I think it would be worth it.
  • If you do experience problems on the trip, in any case, I would bring an extra jack along, and one or two jack-stands, as well. A roadside kit (with reflectors, flares, and cones), would be nice to have, too (I've meant to get one for my TTT, but keep forgetting to, after I lent-out my kit from my race-car hauling days). Another suggestion is to get a kneeboard, for roadside use, and save the tarp for laying on. My old/bad knees appreciate the added comfort, much nicer than kneeling on rocks and pavement. Anyway, good luck on your trip!
14 inch LT.JPG
14 inch LT.JPG (170.06 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
kneeboard.JPG
kneeboard.JPG (60.3 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:53 am

Radial LT's and a box of rocks for leveling in the boonies.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:12 pm

drhill wrote:You are going to have a great trip. Don't worry too much about spares, one will do. In several decades of towing I have only had one flat,, just a few days after somebody took my spare. I use St205-75R14 tires and run them about 32 psi with the teardrop and up to 50 psi when I am using it as a utility trailer with a serious load. I also have the 3500 lb axle and started with cheap american 2500 lb springs but have since changed to 3500 lb (per pair) springs. It did ride nicer with the 2500lb springs when the load is light. Since it doesn't look like your trailer will ever haul shingles or firewood, you should be good with ST175-80R13's. As for wear - I am up about 28,000 km on mine now and the wear is hardly noticeable.

& take your eyes off all those gauges and enjoy the scenery.
Don

Ok, thanks! And no, i wont ever be hauling firewood or shingles with this :) i have another trailer for that.
Good to hear about your wear.
And i will enjoy the scenery for sure!

working on it wrote:

TAKE CARE

sw
  • I used (very used, 12+ years-old, with age-cracking, and multiple plugs/patches on each) Carlisle bias-ply ST tires in ST205-75C 14, until last year, when I switched to LT tires on my TTT. My trailer had grown so heavy, that I just knew that it was past time for new tires, so I tried to find good non-Chinese tires(I've had bad luck with some) as replacements. I also wanted tires with good tread design and firm sidewalls, so LT tires were my choice (General Grabber 27-8.50-14 AT2, bought via Amazon).
  • Granted, you are running 13" wheels, instead of 14", but you might consider getting larger wheels to fit the larger/stronger (more capable LT) tires, just for safety's sake. 14" or larger, is the way to go, because there are absolutely zero LT tires out there in 13" size. I still use one of my Carlisle bias-ply tires as a spare, JIC, but intend to get another AT2, soon, but I travel over mostly good roads, and in daylight, so it's not a priority, yet. If I were to undertake a lengthy trip, over unknown roads in varying states of repair, I'd be sure to carry a really fresh spare (identical replacements might be hard to find). I could only find two brands of 14" LT tires, at that time, but have since found another brand, Kenda, a Chinese tire.
  • Investing in new tires and wheels would be achievable for under $500 in the US, but for an unknown cost in Canada; but that would only be a fraction of the cost of your contemplated trip. I think it would be worth it.
  • If you do experience problems on the trip, in any case, I would bring an extra jack along, and one or two jack-stands, as well. A roadside kit (with reflectors, flares, and cones), would be nice to have, too (I've meant to get one for my TTT, but keep forgetting to, after I lent-out my kit from my race-car hauling days). Another suggestion is to get a kneeboard, for roadside use, and save the tarp for laying on. My old/bad knees appreciate the added comfort, much nicer than kneeling on rocks and pavement. Anyway, good luck on your trip!
14 inch LT.JPG
kneeboard.JPG

I would consider larger tires except i already had to install wheel spacers for these and bolted my fenders on. Wider tires would need wider spacers and wider fenders. Hub spacers is the eventual plan, but i doubt ill have time before our first trip. I didnt realize these were bias ply until just now. I know tires arent a big part of the whole cost of my trip but the trailer is already at least 3x over budget and it seems stupid to replace the brand new tires that came with the new trailer, but thats what im still leaning towards. The radials in the same size have a load rating of 150% of the max weight i plan to have that trailer which i think is a reasonable margin.
I see people all over the internet saying to use truck tires instead of radial trailer tires but i either havent seen anyone say why or i am missing it somehow when i do see it...
Thanks for the tips!

dancam
500 Club

Postby drhill » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:50 pm

LT vs ST tires. A good ST tire can carry a heavier load and result in better trailer control with the stiffer sidewalls. The ST tires will also stand up to a lot of abuse like rubbing a curb.

A couple links worth looking at
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=219

https://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2012/11/08/trailer-towing-st-tires-vs-lt-tires/

Since you are well under the load rating for trailer tires you should have no problems. I have a boat trailer with ST 215-75R14 tires (1870 lbs at 50psi) and is very close to the max load limit. I tried Nanking tires for a while, but weird wear and bulging. I had a Carlisle tire as a spare. Never used it but eventually replaced it as it developed a scary looking bulge without ever being used. I have Maxxis 8008 tires on there for years now and they are great. I am using Gladiator on the teardrop and am really happy with those too. Weird thing about trailer tires is how little stock the tire shops carry. Once summer hits a lot of shops just run out until they get new stock next winter. Call around to a few shops in your area and see what they tires they have 3 of in stock. Maybe that is a reason some people like LT tires, easier to find.

Also - I get my trailer tires balanced. Some people don't but it only makes sense to me.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:28 pm

Most tires included with cheaper trailers need immediate replacement for heavy usage
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Vedette » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:43 pm

Radials!
Car tires......no need for truck tires.
Brian
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby rkanz » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:14 am

This is from Tire Rack.

“Your trailer is a follower, which often makes tire sidewall flexing a negative. Sidewall flexing on trailers, especially those with a high center of gravity (enclosed/travel trailers) or that carry heavy loads, is a primary cause of trailer sway. Typical passenger radial tires with flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems. The stiffer sidewalls and higher operating pressures common with Special Trailer (ST) designated tires help reduce trailer sway.”

"Trailers will be more stable and pull better on tires designed specifically for trailer use. Since Special Trailer (ST) tires are constructed with heavier duty materials, they are tougher than typical passenger vehicle tires."

rkanz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby gudmund » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:41 pm

Car tires work GREAT on Teardrop Trailers!! 'Trailer' tires are OVERKILL on teardrops!! the stiff sidewalls were intended for 'top-heavy' big trailers along with the hi-pressure load capacities which are the reason they are 'limited' to the 65 mph speed limits due to their heat build-up during use when loaded. On teardrops they ride rough being 'there is no load per say', yes lowering the air pressure helps some but being the trailer is so light in weight, I have found car tires work (ride) so much better (or the LT for off-roading which trailer tire were not made for) As far as load ratings - one 'car' 205/75-14 I am using has the load capacity to carry more than the whole 'total' weight of my teardrop = 1400 lbs load capacity for 1 tire (my tear loaded has never been more than 1300 lbs total - usually my running total is 1100 lbs nowadays and yes I am a 'regular' user of my states truck weight scales after hours when they are closed being they leave the scales turned on) 2 tires at 1400 lb each = a 2800 lbs load capacity for a trailer base that is rated for a 2000 lb load max. This is my opinion from the experience of having used both (and now the kicker of 'my opinion' stated here is that I am now stuck again with trailer tires being the "brand new" teardrop I just bought a week or so ago came with them - I either use them 'as is' for now and wear them out or go buy new tires of my choice :thinking: :? :thinking:
gudmund
500 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion