Insurance Woes for the Astroliner

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Insurance Woes for the Astroliner

Postby Cosmo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:46 am

Congratulations! Was a long search. Good Job!

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby jmanscotch » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:46 am

bbrider wrote:State Farm insured mine for an agreed value of $5000 with a $500 deductible for $116 a year. I took it to my agent and he took pictures inside and out. I told him I had about $5500 in it, but I would be happy with a $5000 policy. I got three options starting with no deductible, $250 deductible, and $500. I went with the $500 figuring I could pull a lot of stuff off it to make up the difference. If not, anything is better than nothing and it would give me the funds to start another build. Made me sleep good at night on our recent Alaska trip too!

Hey bbrider, would you mind sharing some of the specifics of how you got State Farm to agree to that? I'm batting zero for finding someone (including two local State Farm agents) to insure mine for an agreed upon value, I keep getting "market value" aka original base trailer cost, is my only option. I fear I'm using the wrong lingo to describe what I'm trying to insure.

Did you claim it as an RV, teardrop, trailer with self made modifications, etc?

If you claimed it as a trailer with modifications, did you admit to having "living quarters" in it or not?

Is there any other specific questions your agent inquired about that lead him to accepting it as insurable?

Did your agent mention the need to produce receipts in the event of a claim or is it truly, "this is the value we agreed to, we'll cover repair cost up to that amount until it's a total loss."?

I've talked to every local insurance brand I know, plus a half dozen recommendations from them for smaller brokers and the answers I've received are disappointing. I want to insure for the material cost I have in it. I could care less about being paid for my time, I just don't want to be out the ~$6,000 I have in it should something happen.

I think it'd help lots of us to know some more details since we're all having such bad luck and often those that do succeed in securing coverage sometimes leave us without details that'd help us have the same success.

Regards,
Jake
jmanscotch
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:02 pm

I think the key is the agent.

No need for them to be local, maybe start out with liability only and look for a good agent while travelling?

I also believe the state you're registered in may make a difference.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jmanscotch » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:29 pm

John61CT wrote:I think the key is the agent.

No need for them to be local, maybe start out with liability only and look for a good agent while travelling?

I also believe the state you're registered in may make a difference.

If that ends up being true, maybe he could share who his agent is and we'll bring that kinda fella a heck of a lot of business. :thinking:
jmanscotch
Teardrop Master

Postby bbrider » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:53 pm

jmanscotch wrote:
bbrider wrote:State Farm insured mine for an agreed value of $5000 with a $500 deductible for $116 a year. I took it to my agent and he took pictures inside and out. I told him I had about $5500 in it, but I would be happy with a $5000 policy. I got three options starting with no deductible, $250 deductible, and $500. I went with the $500 figuring I could pull a lot of stuff off it to make up the difference. If not, anything is better than nothing and it would give me the funds to start another build. Made me sleep good at night on our recent Alaska trip too!

Hey bbrider, would you mind sharing some of the specifics of how you got State Farm to agree to that? I'm batting zero for finding someone (including two local State Farm agents) to insure mine for an agreed upon value, I keep getting "market value" aka original base trailer cost, is my only option. I fear I'm using the wrong lingo to describe what I'm trying to insure.

Did you claim it as an RV, teardrop, trailer with self made modifications, etc?

Yes, I described it as a home built camper from the ground up including the frame. Which has a vin number stamped on the tongue by the Louisiana State Troopers giving me a registration. The registration only says homebuilt trailer on it though.

If you claimed it as a trailer with modifications, did you admit to having "living quarters" in it or not?

Yes, my agent took pictures inside and out.

Is there any other specific questions your agent inquired about that lead him to accepting it as insurable?

He asked what I valued the trailer at not including labor. Material cost only.

Did your agent mention the need to produce receipts in the event of a claim or is it truly, "this is the value we agreed to, we'll cover repair cost up to that amount until it's a total loss."?

Agreed on amount for total lost. He asked about receipts to start with, but I argued some common sense...LOL. I asked him what could you buy like this for $5000? Look on the net and you will not find anything sold by a dealer with all the options for anywhere near that price. He agreed I was right and said he would submit it to the main offce. I got my answer the next day.

I've talked to every local insurance brand I know, plus a half dozen recommendations from them for smaller brokers and the answers I've received are disappointing. I want to insure for the material cost I have in it. I could care less about being paid for my time, I just don't want to be out the ~$6,000 I have in it should something happen.

That is all I insured for too. It probably helped that I had my Wee-Go in the parking lot when I went it to see him.

I think it'd help lots of us to know some more details since we're all having such bad luck and often those that do succeed in securing coverage sometimes leave us without details that'd help us have the same success.

Good luck.

Regards,
Jake
Naw Bro, We ain't lost. We just ain't never been here before!

Wee-Go build journal:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66964
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby jmanscotch » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:01 pm

Thanks for the information sir! Do you think there’s a chance your agent would be interested in business from some more of us if we can supply ample pictures?

Jake
jmanscotch
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:14 pm

bbrider wrote:State Farm insured mine for an agreed value of $5000 with a $500 deductible for $116 a year. I took it to my agent and he took pictures inside and out

What state?

Ask your agent if he wants to join the thread here to discuss these issues.

Or let you post his email so members can ask Qs and then report back.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bbrider » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:11 am

John61CT wrote:
bbrider wrote:State Farm insured mine for an agreed value of $5000 with a $500 deductible for $116 a year. I took it to my agent and he took pictures inside and out

What state?

Louisiana

Ask your agent if he wants to join the thread here to discuss these issues.

He is very busy and hard to get to see. He usually has one of his office people handle these things. That didn't go so good for me last year when I tried. She got me a quote, but it was very expensive. This time I just went in with the trailer and said I needed to see him and after a little wait I did. I am sure he would not want non Louisiana people calling or emailing him. Sorry. Maybe the fact that he has everything I own insured played into it, IDK. Best I can tell you is to take it with you and be persistent.

Or let you post his email so members can ask Qs and then report back.
Naw Bro, We ain't lost. We just ain't never been here before!

Wee-Go build journal:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66964
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby Carl01234 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:59 am

Here is another guy that could help. I currently do not have a policy with him, but have many friends that do and have talked to him on the phone many times. He primary deals in marine insurance, but i would imagine he has outlets for teardrops. Getting an agreed value policy is key.

Bob Luellen
hone: 517-627-8080
Toll-free: 800-339-1235
Email: [email protected]
2nd Build 5x10 Benroy Complete! viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70427
Carl01234
Teardrop Master

Postby Ottsville » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:06 pm

Is a cargo or utility trailer insured for the contents of the trailer? I can see titling the trailer as utility and the camper portion being "cargo."
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:30 pm

Ottsville wrote:Is a cargo or utility trailer insured for the contents of the trailer? I can see titling the trailer as utility and the camper portion being "cargo."
Usually contents as cargo would be off a rider on your homeowners or renters insurance.

They may not pay out if they learn it was actually a DIY camper trailer.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jmanscotch » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:56 am

Also, "contents", as described by my home insurance company, are things that would "fall out if you were to lift the trailer and shake it (doors open)".

In my case, this doesn't cover the big cost items. Insulation, interior walls and dressings, upgraded suspension/wheels/tires, Lock-N-Roll hitch, solar/batteries/electrical, etc.

It's better than nothing, but it wouldn't truly cover even half my build costs.
jmanscotch
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:49 pm

Yes if you want that stuff covered you need to either buy a unit already converted by a pro outfit whose engineers have E&O insurance, or

if DIY try to find an agent who can negotiate an agreed value policy, which is very difficult
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby proarch » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:36 pm

I just got my homemade trailer insured thru State Farm with help from this thread. I actually provided the agent a link to this thread in my info provided to them.

I provided 2 or 3 pictures of the build, a couple of drawings showing the exterior dimensions, a general description of all the included systems, said I could provide them with every receipt if they wanted, and finally gave a "stated value". I was upfront and told them I was not even 100% done. I wanted SF underwriters to respond with what they needed more of. Well, surprise, they came back with a policy based on what I had provided.

My build was on top of a 7210 Aluma trailer that I purchased new so it had a VIN and license. I will be going to the local (AZ) DMV for an inspection as I cantilevered over the back and added taillights, id lights, sidelights, etc. The DMV will certify that it is a "specially constructed" homemade trailer and the license will change from a permanent one to a 1, 3, or 5 year renewed one, similar to other campers.

I will also be getting CAT scale weights to give to the DMV.

I haven't posted the build here yet, but the stated value was for $12,500 and the quote was for a $500 deductible for $138 per year. The agent also indicated that the time for receipts would be if there was ever a claim. :(

It was all easier than I imagined.
Paul R. Olson
Paul R. Olson Architects
Tucson, Arizona
proarch
Teardrop Inspector

Postby John61CT » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:09 pm

Excellent!

Can you share contact info to make this easier for the next ones?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion