Hurricane Hinge on Tongue Box?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Hurricane Hinge on Tongue Box?

Postby Jeepnick » Fri May 18, 2018 4:47 pm

I built my own tongue box with a radius lid. My plan has been to use a hurricane hinge (which I already have) on the box, but I started wondering if I shouldn't consider turning the hurricane hinge around backward on the box... ?

My thinking is that the hinge is meant to sit in one direction so that water/wind flow over the hinge and not into it. But that assumes the hinge is mounted on a rear hatch. What happens when the same hinge is mounted on the front of a trailer? Wouldn't rain work it's way through the hinges pretty easily while driving? If I flip it around, I'm thinking the wind/rain would flow over the hinge like it does on a galley hatch, but I'm just not sure.

Anyone who used a hurricane hinge on their tongue box care to chime in? How did you mount it and have you had any issues with water intrusion?

Side note - I live in AZ so a plastic style "living" hinge isn't a good solution for me. It would fail within a summer or two.

Thanks!
Jeepnick
Donating Member

Re: Hurricane Hinge on Tongue Box?

Postby tony.latham » Fri May 18, 2018 7:20 pm

Jeepnick wrote:I built my own tongue box with a radius lid. My plan has been to use a hurricane hinge (which I already have) on the box, but I started wondering if I shouldn't consider turning the hurricane hinge around backward on the box... ?

My thinking is that the hinge is meant to sit in one direction so that water/wind flow over the hinge and not into it. But that assumes the hinge is mounted on a rear hatch. What happens when the same hinge is mounted on the front of a trailer? Wouldn't rain work it's way through the hinges pretty easily while driving? If I flip it around, I'm thinking the wind/rain would flow over the hinge like it does on a galley hatch, but I'm just not sure.

Anyone who used a hurricane hinge on their tongue box care to chime in? How did you mount it and have you had any issues with water intrusion?

Side note - I live in AZ so a plastic style "living" hinge isn't a good solution for me. It would fail within a summer or two.

Thanks!

Here's mine:

I think it would leak like a sieve with water hitting it at sixty. Mine stays dry.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion