Canned food.

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Canned food.

Postby S. Heisley » Sat May 19, 2018 4:25 pm

I keep at least 3 days worth of canned and dried food stored in my camper year'round. After all, our campers are not just for pleasure. They are also for emergency bug-out. Oh, and don't forget a little water on board!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby working on it » Sat May 19, 2018 5:30 pm

slowcowboy wrote:What do you all think about storeing canned food on board your teardrop most of the summer so your ready to bug out on camping trips in a hurry???? Thoughts? Slow.
  • I have kept my "pantry" box, loaded with Spam!, canned greens (three types), canned potatoes, and canned beans, in/on my TTT off and on for several years, but found out that I was just wasting food, doing so. I camp so seldom that my supply is never really used up between trips, and though the shelf life dates aren't being exceeded, leaving the cans out in my garage during off-seasons, really wasn't a good idea; Texas summers heat my metal garage to <120 degrees at some times, and we might get days of sub-freezing weather from Dec.-Feb, so the food/liquids expand and have burst the cans, at times...a mess to clean up, and probably unhealthy to consume even if the cans stay intact. So, for the last couple of years, I move everything in/out of my office, and put the older cans into household rotation, so my stock stays fresher, and safer, now.
  • As for carrying fresh water, the same pattern is now followed, as with the food. I keep both my Aquatainers filled, year-round, but in the office now, instead of the garage, and empty/refill/sanitize them every month, assuming that they are not used for "emergencies" first (to supplement our bought-or-boiled water, after our local water company's lines fail, and get re-sealed, 3-4 times a year...our semi-rural area has grown quite tired of this, you know!).
  • It only takes me 30 minutes to load up my staple food/water/camping & bug-out supplies now, but arranging my frozen or cooled foods & drinks has been the real-time consumer. I'm thinking about how my West-Texan ancestors (some Hill Country, too) would've viewed my dependence on COLD Peach Iced Sweet Tea; cool-ish water would've pleased them, just as well. I've been spoiled....
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby troubleScottie » Sat May 19, 2018 6:44 pm

Water does not spoil. It does not degrade.

The major issue is how clean are your containers. It is possible for algae to grow there -- more a maintenance issue then bad water. Filtered, the water is still good.

If you have containers which leach chemicals, then the water has a life time. Again, filtered, the water is still good.

Fuel (gasoline, diesel) does degrade. Hence why our emergency generator is natural gas fueled. Propane and butane should be stable. The bigger issue is evaporation.

There is a concept of shelf stable food. Dry/dried food is most stable eg jerky, pasta, rice, powdered milk. Drying has been around for thousands of years. Salting is another form. Canning is only about 200 years old. Freezing is only since electricity has been available. Some canned food is shelf stable but not all. It all depends on how the food is processed, effects to container eg rusting, etc. Not all micro-organisms are killed by the food processing. And then you want store everything in a dry, shaded environment below 85F and above freezing. Freeze dried/vacuum packed is only good for 5 years and then only is stored below 70F. The USDA has lists of how long products should last.

To store food, you really need to be able to turn-over the supplies.

Personally, I only have 2-14 days of food in the house at any given time. In fact, I have more dog food eg typically 15-45 days supply. I generally depend on the big commercial storage eg grocery stores for long term storage.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sat May 19, 2018 7:42 pm

I keep a stock of canned foods in the tear. The idea being, I can always decide to toss in a few clothes, pick up some perishables and ice and head for the campsite.

It's actually worked a handful of times. :D
Last edited by Sparksalot on Sun May 20, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Bill n Robi » Sun May 20, 2018 9:58 am

We make a lot of seasonal things to can and store. My power cooker canner, crock pot and dehydrator run at the same time some weeks. Canning jar lids and seal-a-meal bags are my favorite presents... With a u-pickum farm nearby we make apple chips in the fall, right now I am about to get a case of roma tomatoes for sauces and my home made salsa. Keep an eye out for specials on meat for jerky, nuts, and such. Have a list on the computer for rotating stock. Always have a full propane tank, generator will run on gas or propane.

We only have one problem - the TD now has to be stored in a special lot in our park. We clean and refresh after every trip but don't store too much in it. Keep the batteries stored in the shed - solar panel keeps them ready, have variety boxes of food ready to go. At worst case we could load the truck up, hook up the TD and head out, stop somewhere and get everything situated.

After our next outing in June, we need to sit down and do a test run of our emergency plan. See how long it really takes.

As a side note. We have scanned all our most important papers and copied them to our phones and also setup a special gmail account - keep a lot of documents and information in 'draft' emails so we can have access from any internet device.

My birthday present was a copy of "putting food by" by Janet Greene, Ruth Hertzberg and Beatrice Vaughan. I thought I knew a lot of things but I am amazed by lots of new knowledge and a few misconceptions I had.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby Cosmo » Sun May 20, 2018 10:11 am

Water Keeping in mind recent events in Puerto Rico.

I do carry water containers and use them . I have enough on hand containers for about 10 days to 2 weeks of water. Water is heavy and bulky so I provisioned for being able to make more microorganism free water. One quart of Clorox can purify 500 gallons of water so it is free of microorganisms.

I also use a Setripen UV purifier which uses no chemicals and works in a min or two even on cold water. Uses AA batteries.

I also use a MIOX pen sized device which makes a water purification chemical from ordinary salt table salt and water – uses batteries but can purify large amounts of water.

I don’t worry about batteries since I am solar powered and can recharge all my batteries.

Chemical pollution and radiation would require more elaborate filters than I currently carry.

I do carry a Brita pitcher filter when needed to improve the taste of some water I run into.

If the plan above is working I should have little problems eating the dry goods I keep on hand.

I also keep a weed sprayer full of Zombie Repellent onboard. Even though the campsites are inexpensive, I usually avoid camping in the Zombie Zones (it creeps out my date). But once in a while when other campgrounds are full like on a federal holiday I still check in there.

=Cosmo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK6KCoV0XN4

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sun May 20, 2018 5:27 pm

We are always finding cans of food at our cabin that over a year old. They always taste fine.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Sun May 20, 2018 6:57 pm

We almost always keep a supply of canned and boxed foods on hand, if nothing else to cover us when we forget to buy stuff. This includes spices and such. Also includes a few of the coffee dunker things.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:13 am

to begin with we don't leave/keep any food stuffs in the trailer that we don't normally eat at home

we do a complete change out annually(usually in the spring) bringing all the food from the trailer into the house where the bridal unit places it in our home larder and ultimately feeds it to me

some canned and boxed food stuffs will end up being over a year old when we finally end up consuming it

i guess that procedure is OK since i'm still here ;-)

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Bill n Robi » Mon May 21, 2018 1:01 pm

The new labeling system should help:
https://www.today.com/health/use-or-bes ... er-t108299

And some interesting commentary on the subject:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2 ... 637f43e684

I really would like to see a couple of these labels used:
"use or vomit by this date."
"diarrhea starts here."
"if you try eating after June 3, you will die of food poisoning."
"after this date, feed only to people whom you do not like."
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon May 21, 2018 5:38 pm

Bill n Robi wrote:The new labeling system should help:
https://www.today.com/health/use-or-bes ... er-t108299

And some interesting commentary on the subject:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2 ... 637f43e684

I really would like to see a couple of these labels used:
"use or vomit by this date."
"diarrhea starts here."
"if you try eating after June 3, you will die of food poisoning."
"after this date, feed only to people whom you do not like."

:lol:

If it isn't going to taste good, I don't want to eat it. I switch out most camping food every spring.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to General Discussion