My TruckTear design

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

My TruckTear design

Postby DavidAlex » Tue May 29, 2018 9:43 am

Inspired by all the ideas on this forum, I took a few hours and drew up my idea for a truckbed teardrop camper this weekend. This design differs from a typical tear in two main ways. (1) The door is at the back, not the side, for obvious reasons. (2) The tear-profile skeleton does not transfer weight straight downward, but rather it acts as a bridge structure between the front and rear sections. This is so that the front and rear structures bear the weight of the of the camper and allow that weight to rest on truck bed rather than its rails.

154649 154648

The front and rear structures are designed as sandwich panels with 1.5" XPS foam on the inside and 1/8" plywood the outside. Both also have lumber to help carry the load down the bed. The sides are 1/4" plywood, which acts as the main loadbearing structure and will also be in the interior wall. Moving outward, there will be a layer of 1.5" foam and skinned with PMF to reduce lateral flex.

My hope is to make a sparless roof of 1/8" ply covered with 2" foam and then PMF on top. I believe this will be plenty strong enough as long as good bonding can be achieved between layers. I'm not convinced there's a good way to do that besides vacuum-forming on a mold, which frankly seems like a lot of work. Also, I'd need to ensure a good bond between the roof structure and the tops of the sidewalls. I'd hoped to minimize use of epoxy, but that might be a good place for that.

Anyway, hope you like my design! This is my first post! :banana: I'm real excited about this design. Unlike some of my other truck camper designs, this one actually seems pretty buildable! My two main constraints for starting ASAP are (a) I don't yet own a truck to put this on (or transport materials) and (b) I have no place to work.
:NC
DavidAlex
Teardrop Inspector

Re: My TruckTear design

Postby Carl01234 » Tue May 29, 2018 1:18 pm

I cant wait to see how this turns out. Have you got a plan to load/unload it?
2nd Build 5x10 Benroy Complete! viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70427
Carl01234
Teardrop Master

Postby me&z » Tue May 29, 2018 2:13 pm

If you haven't seen this one, you might be interested.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=64361

No floor. PMF and minimal wood. Was in full time use for awhile.
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby DavidAlex » Tue May 29, 2018 3:19 pm

I made a little progress today in finding some workspace. I'll probably resort to renting someone's garage. I may have a lead on splitting the cost with another local woodworker who needs a shop.

Carl01234 wrote:I cant wait to see how this turns out. Have you got a plan to load/unload it?

A 3-pack of Rieco jacks runs about $400. That's the easiest (and probably safest) way to loan and unload. For something cheaper, I'll wait and see how much DIY spirit I have left in me when I finish the project. My current weight estimate is about 500 lbs for the shell and minimum interior accoutrements, so it wouldn't be totally unreasonable to load and unload with 3-4 strong-backed friends.

me&z wrote:If you haven't seen this one, you might be interested.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=64361

No floor. PMF and minimal wood. Was in full time use for awhile.

I think I found this three years ago when I first started looking at DIY campers. I hadn't seen that he'd finished it. And I don't mean this as a backhanded compliment, because it's really a great build, but that camper is a great example of how robust these construction methods can be.
DavidAlex
Teardrop Inspector

Postby low277 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:09 pm

I like it! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Will be watching for updates!
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion