Solar panel

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Solar panel

Postby EnduroFit » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:40 am

I purchased this off Amazon on Monday, as I wanted to try a lightweight 100w system with my 35aH battery. It was well packaged, 2 boxes, bubble wrap, filler paper, etc. Upon opening, notices a few compressions on the panel, a rub mark and the controller had a compression mark on the side of the LCD. I connected to the battery and everything seemed to work well, phone charging, etc.

I emailed and they asked if it worked, if so and wanted to keep, they'd partial refund. If not replace. Should I replace? I'm thinking yes, but wanted to have some insight from those familiar with
Attachments
20180606_134113.jpg
20180606_134113.jpg (175.2 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
20180606_133846.jpg
20180606_133846.jpg (194.8 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
Screenshot_20180607-130310(1).png
Screenshot_20180607-130310(1).png (339.98 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
Last edited by EnduroFit on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EnduroFit
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Solar panel

Postby Cosmo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:19 pm

I am sure others have better ideas but for starters.
I would test the panel in full sun. Voltage test across the positive and negative. Then an amps test. See if it is putting out the power you paid for.
Next I would hook it to the battery so it is experiencing a load, and monitor (with my own meter) both the charge voltage and current.

I would check to see if the controller is indeed turning off the charge when the battery hits the target voltage.

I would do this even if the panel appeared to be in perfect condition

Good Luck!

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby greygoos » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:21 pm

Return it and get a new one. Because it works today does not mean it will work tomorrow
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:03 am

I would do as Cosmo suggests, and test the panel. There is likely nothing wrong with it, but you certainly want to be sure. If it were already dimpled inside of the protective packaging, it got that way before packaging. So theres no guarantee the replacement won't be dimpled as well. It may be worth a note to the seller just to see what they have to say. I wouldn't be concerned about the dimple in the controller screen (performance wise) but the one on the panel may or may not be an issue. Looks like a nice little portable unit. Great start for going solar!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:23 am

I use the solar electric fence chargers to keep cows in.. when its overcast or its night the cows get out..

Hey, Slow! (How are you doing, anywho?)

That sounds like a battery failure, not a solar panel problem.

:thinking:

You're getting about 1.5 amps from that 20-watt panel you are using for battery charging. Great for maintaining, but as you know, it's not really big enough to charge a tractor battery. Think how little a 20 watt light bulb produces for light.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby EnduroFit » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:53 am

I returned the original, as it must have been prior to packaging. Refunded and sent a new one, arrived today.

It was packaged the same and no issues with this one. Definitely like the portability of a suitcase panel. The wiring is the crazy learning experience for me and I'm almost finished with my 12v system. I'll be trying it out this weekend. :thinking:

Thanks for the input. I'll share some pics when I'm finished. :wine:
EnduroFit
Teardrop Inspector

Postby NorthEGPhoto » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:26 am

Those are supposed to be monocrystaline? new chemistry, or am i missing something? they don't look like mono panels to me.
"In the morning, the light is golden, in the midday 'tis time to nap, and in the evening the light returns. Into the night the stars shine brightly, now if only the moon would stay out of sight." - Some photographer
NorthEGPhoto
Teardrop Master

Postby EnduroFit » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:26 am

Sorry so late in responding. I'm only able fo assume they are mono panels, not sure how to tell or find out. They have some flex but not made to bend so maybe that has something to do with how they look? Seem to work well from my 1 time use.
NorthEGPhoto wrote:Those are supposed to be monocrystaline? new chemistry, or am i missing something? they don't look like mono panels to me.

Sent from my LG-US701 using Tapatalk
EnduroFit
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:52 am

Fit, That’s a nice looking PORTABLE folding panel , good travel size too … Not really a bad price … 8) Please keep us up on how it’s working …
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby NorthEGPhoto » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:23 am

EnduroFit wrote:Sorry so late in responding. I'm only able fo assume they are mono panels, not sure how to tell or find out. They have some flex but not made to bend so maybe that has something to do with how they look? Seem to work well from my 1 time use.
NorthEGPhoto wrote:Those are supposed to be monocrystaline? new chemistry, or am i missing something? they don't look like mono panels to me.

Sent from my LG-US701 using Tapatalk

No problem. Just that those look like amorphous panels - which are usually much cheaper and not as long wearing. but, it is possible just your picture makes them look that way.

here's a good guide:

https://www.greenmatch.co.uk/blog/2015/ ... lar-panels
"In the morning, the light is golden, in the midday 'tis time to nap, and in the evening the light returns. Into the night the stars shine brightly, now if only the moon would stay out of sight." - Some photographer
NorthEGPhoto
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion