Registration nightmare--Texas

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Registration nightmare--Texas

Postby Staryder61 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:32 pm

Either license plate, easiest way is to just play it safe. Don't give a reason to be pulled over.
Check all your lights every time you connect to pull it. If over 80" wide, make sure all your clearance lights work properly. Make sure no one has borrowed your license plate, ( Has happen to me, apparently they thought they needed it more then me, :roll: or just to cheap to go get theirs registered)
Safety chains, and no bald tires.
Have fun and be safe, David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby dsotto » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:42 pm

2bits wrote:I am in Texas and and I speaking only of Texas. I personally know more than a few people who just register as a utility trailer and also people with full size travel trailers that run them as utility trailers for years and years with no worries. I didn't read it on the internet, this is people I personally know (including me). There are alot of regulations that you can sift through but as you have experienced, you actually have to twist the state's arm to follow their own rules when in the end as the Sheriff dept says no one cares. There is alot of fear mongering is out there but fear not, I have yet to hear a story of anyone's personal experience of a police officer pulling someone over for having a valid license plate that says Trailer instead of Travel Trailer. I am glad you settled on the right call. :thumbsup: :beer:

So fun fact. Got a letter in the mail saying the registration was rejected and we have to register as travel trailer
dsotto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby greygoos » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:57 am

greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby dsotto » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:19 pm

So in calling and talking to the county head person or whatever she got mad that we didn't do an inspection on with with form 68. We were never told that and now she said she barred us from registering until we get an inspection done on the trailer. Which is beyond ridiculous. She is being so awful. We have to do the form 61 as well for the rebuilt form since we altered the trailer. They will not listen that we did not alter the trailer. On the form we are putting, How did you change the trailer? "We bolted a shell to it" . They are requiring every single receipt in the process as well. I'm so overwhelmed and exhausted. I just want to go camping.
I looked into the Maine thing and they can't register it since it's not just a trailer. They can't register anything with sleeping quarters.
I'm so fed up with it.
dsotto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dsotto » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:54 pm

To add, with all the fees and everything for the inspections and sales tax we are over $200 in trying to register.
dsotto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby working on it » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:53 pm

• I still can't understand where this registration became so much different than the dozens (hundreds?) of Texas tiny trailers that must've been registered by owners of/members of this forum. True, each of us did it differently, at different times & places, and thru different tax offices (with very different personality types working there), but your situation has gone awry, off the rails, and the people you've been talking to have gotten into a "power trip mode", with you as their victim, obviously.
  • I'm sure glad that my local tax office manager (in "friendlier-than-Dallas County"... Tarrant County) was a personable, understanding person, who just tried (and did) help the old guy re-register his trailer, back in '11. or '12. If this was happening to me, I think I might just take it to the next level, and get my old lawyer to see what the problem is, but his fee would be more than my trailer is worth. Perhaps someone with Texas legal ties, or a legal-minded member of the forum could pitch-in with a fix, or work-around ? Surely there is a solution.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:18 pm

Sell it to a family member or friend in another state as a home build camper, let them get a title and then buy it back with title.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby dsotto » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:10 am

working on it wrote:
  • I still can't understand where this registration became so much different than the dozens (hundreds?) of Texas tiny trailers that must've been registered by owners of/members of this forum. True, each of us did it differently, at different times & places, and thru different tax offices (with very different personality types working there), but your situation has gone awry, off the rails, and the people you've been talking to have gotten into a "power trip mode", with you as their victim, obviously.
  • I'm sure glad that my local tax office manager (in "friendlier-than-Dallas County"... Tarrant County) was a personable, understanding person, who just tried (and did) help the old guy re-register his trailer, back in '11. or '12. If this was happening to me, I think I might just take it to the next level, and get my old lawyer to see what the problem is, but his fee would be more than my trailer is worth. Perhaps someone with Texas legal ties, or a legal-minded member of the forum could pitch-in with a fix, or work-around ? Surely there is a solution.

I think it's what you're saying about power trip or just not wanting to be incorrect. My husband is being very calm and diplomatic and everything is being done via email now so it is in writing. We are Tarrant county. Hurst first and then Southlake and now we are working with the head of the county. It's an absolute nightmare now. We want to be legal and follow the necessary steps but now it's just absurd. I don't know who is above that person other than Ron Wright the head dude but my husband mentioned that he's not going to undermine his subordinates since he's a publicly elected official. We plan on moving to Idaho in 6 months or so so that's all we needed. Honestly tempted to move sooner!
dsotto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dsotto » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:11 am

KTM_Guy wrote:Sell it to a family member or friend in another state as a home build camper, let them get a title and then buy it back with title.

Todd

This is actually something we are talking about. To sell it to our brother in law where we are moving to. Problem in Idaho is they have to do an in person inspection. And then once we moved there they would sell it back. It's just a 24 hour drive there. Possible road trip in the near future!
dsotto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Rhinoman64 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:28 am

As you've already deduced, the problem is with the friendly folks you are dealing with. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure the VTR-61 is primarily used for rebuilding from a salvage title and is only used when you are applying for a title. A homemade trailer under 4000 pounds is not required to be titled, only registered. https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying- ... e/trailers
Seems to me that all you should need is a Form 130-U with the "Nontitle Registration" box checked. Oh, and a reasonable person on the other side of the desk :)

I'm just in the beginning build stage of mine, but I started with a Craigslist pop-up frame. I went to the county clerk's office to register it so I would be legal taking it to my welder for modifications. All I had was the bill of sale. I was told I would also need the Form 130-U signed by the seller. I don't know how to reach him so I'm still trying to figure out what I will do. I replaced the axle and wheels in addition to the frame modifications so I will probably just present it as entirely homemade.

Good luck.
Rhinoman64
Teardrop Inspector

Postby aggie79 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:11 am

Not saying that I have any experience at this - :shock: - but go to Harbor Freight and purchase the cheapest DOT legal trailer they have. Make sure that HF gives you a certificate of origin. Use the certificate of origin to register and obtain license plate. Use the license plate on your teardrop. Years ago, HF, included a sticker for a VIN. If that is still the case, apply the sticker to the teardrop. As far as the HF trailer, use it for lawn use or sell it as is on Craigslist.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby dsotto » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:19 pm

Rhinoman64 wrote:As you've already deduced, the problem is with the friendly folks you are dealing with. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure the VTR-61 is primarily used for rebuilding from a salvage title and is only used when you are applying for a title. A homemade trailer under 4000 pounds is not required to be titled, only registered. https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying- ... e/trailers
Seems to me that all you should need is a Form 130-U with the "Nontitle Registration" box checked. Oh, and a reasonable person on the other side of the desk :)

I'm just in the beginning build stage of mine, but I started with a Craigslist pop-up frame. I went to the county clerk's office to register it so I would be legal taking it to my welder for modifications. All I had was the bill of sale. I was told I would also need the Form 130-U signed by the seller. I don't know how to reach him so I'm still trying to figure out what I will do. I replaced the axle and wheels in addition to the frame modifications so I will probably just present it as entirely homemade.

Good luck.

That should be the actual process, yes. They are CONVINCED that since we bolted a shell on, the trailer has been altered. If we would have bolted a floor on as you would for a utility trailer it would be different. But the county is not letting go the fact we altered the trailer.
In theory we could remove the bolts and take the shell off.. but it still counts as altered to them.
dsotto
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to General Discussion