A/C Question for opinions

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: A/C Question for opinions

Postby friz » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:52 am

coyote wrote:we have a 5000 btu unit,it sets on galley shelf. Take it when it's hot, leave home when cool. No chic, Feng shui bad, very red neck...but when you can hang a beef in there in a Texas summer....
This made me laugh. Gotta hate it when your "feng shui bad".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:29 pm

mcubberley wrote:We did the 2500btu climateright with heavier ducts (actual RV sewage hoses, new and unused of course) with upgraded connections (twist bayonet). Both in and return on the front wall mid line. Cold air up high and return down low. But they can be swapped easy depending on heating or cooling needs.

It took a while to get cool in the heat of July (days in the 90s nights high 70s) but it was able to hit as low as 68 by bed time and cool much lower by morning We bought the wired thermostat box to bring the controls into the cabin. No need to void the warranty when they sell an accessory that is much nicer than I could figure out.

We had that thermostat temporarily mounted too high so the temp at the low part of the camper was 5-10 less then the set temp when it would cycle off. Fixed that after first trip.

I have mine box bolted to the tongue via the factory feet mounts and hard wired to my fuse panel. Looks nice enough so I didn’t worry about putting it in a tongue box. I plan on putting my souvenirs location stickers on it

We bought it because it’s a heat pump with heating and cooling for our summer and winter trips. It’s such a small space that space heaters were far too efficient and even the smallest one we could find over heated the place because of poor thermostat readings. It should also help a bit with humidity build up, which is good.

It’s such a special use item that I frankly I just ignored the reviews and figured if something happened I will take to a hvac place and worked on or tear it apart and use the housing and ducts as a startling point for a Frankenstein unit.

Also I was worried about making sure a window unit didn’t leak into my walls or galley and didn’t want to have that big of hole cut into my walls or loose that much galley storage. But we are a 5x7 teardrop so space usage is very important to us.

In the end we are pleased but love seeing all the great solutions folks come up with!

I didn't know they make a wired remote! Thank you for that, and all the other good information about how you installed yours and how it works.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:58 pm

I can say the Hack has withstood the test of time, and my screw up. The replacement AC was $130. Having the goes into and the goes out of close together because of the louvered intake and the ceiling fan (with closed lid) keep things cool and not stratified.

148535 143656 143657
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:30 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:I can say the Hack has withstood the test of time, and my screw up. The replacement AC was $130. Having the goes into and the goes out of close together because of the louvered intake and the ceiling fan (with closed lid) keep things cool and not stratified.

148535 143656 143657

I read your thread with great interest, and almost tried your Hack. Finally, decided to spend the money instead of the time, but not sure that wasn't a mistake, especially reading Climateright reviews. Anyway, if the Climateright breaks or fails, I'll to try duplicating your Hack.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion