Fold Down Trailer?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Fold Down Trailer?

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:47 am

Well, the design is probably not going to be the same. I'll start off with the sketch that Barrie posted from the patent design, and then try to modify it for foam.

I want to see if I can improve on the curved foamie design I did a few years ago, putting the hinge more forward and lower for example... Let me see if I ever posted pics of that... ah, here they are:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:14 pm

Not meaning to be controversial in any way , we still like the more original Clamshell top which pivots from the front and possibly suggests it would be more “Waterproof” …And the angled back of the clam forms a nice square roof and room inside ( important when you’re 6’3” , whereas the Big Folding Foamie is Cool and all , but just a larger hatch with all the attendant hinge/leak problems of that style .. ( OK, not really a “problem” but something that must be provided for and maintained … eh ? :o )
Perhaps a really SIMPLE squared off version of the original ( sorta’ ) and simple foam folding panels for the side fillers … Just a few seams on the sewing machine makes a good canvas "Hinge “ Eliminating a lot of complexity and weight … especially on the top shell which could be made light enough to manually lift by hand and eliminate the weight and complexity of lifting “mechanisms" … ( REAL Real Simple ) :thinking:

ps.. as we well know ,. simple Can always be made More Complicated if needed … :?
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:19 pm

And if we’re clever enough we could pop the roof off entirely by loosening a few pins and use it as a Boat … :NC Plausible , just some elegant design work … :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:53 pm

Glen,

Not sure what you mean when you say "Original Clamshell design". I didn't have a chance to work on a new design this weekend, but I am hoping to come up with something that works with the hinge in the front.

Mike...

GPW wrote:Not meaning to be controversial in any way , we still like the more original Clamshell top which pivots from the front and possibly suggests it would be more “Waterproof”
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby greygoos » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:01 pm

Here is a Wessex from the 50's
Attachments
WellandandTrimpley028.jpg
WellandandTrimpley028.jpg (70.08 KiB) Viewed 795 times
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:52 am

Mike , the drawing at the top of the page … ^
Attachments
odyssey25.jpg
odyssey25.jpg (68.3 KiB) Viewed 802 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:00 am

Mike,

This should be a fun design.

Are you going to model the front "hinge" of the vintage design? It seems to be complex. The video link to the showing the camper on a game show doesn't work any more, but I believe it showed the front part of the roof "lifting" first and then hinging. I think that is the reason the vintage trailer was compact in height.

If you haven't already, check out the Australian Eco-Tourer campers: http://www.ecotourer.com.au/index.html . These campers are a "modern interpretation" of the Odyssey. The 510 model has a combo cassette toilet and shower. The Eco-Tourer campers are more compact (in height) than the Alto.

One potential benefit of this design is that you could go wider than a traditional trailer. The lower height would add a lot of visibility over a taller design like the Alto Safari Condo, and there would less cross-sectional area and wind resistance.

Take care,
Tom
Last edited by aggie79 on Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:46 am

aggie79 wrote:Mike,

This should be a fun design.

Are you going to model the front "hinge" of the vintage design? It seems to be complex. The video link to the showing the camper on a game show doesn't work any more, but I believe it showed the front part of the roof "lifting" first and then hinging. I think that is the reason the vintage trailer was compact in height.

If you haven't already, check out the Australian Eco-Tourer campers: http://www.ecotourer.com.au/index.html . These campers are a "modern interpretation" of the Odyssey. The 510 model has a combo cassette toilet and shower. The Eco-Tourer campers are more compact (in height) than the Alto.

One potential benefit of this design is that you could go wider than a traditional trailer. The lower height would add a lot of visibility over a taller design like the Alto, and there would less cross-sectional area and wind resistance.

Take care,
Tom

Just checked out the Eco-Tourer, on the 420 model, front hinge is what really caught my eye. Seems to me, would be easier to make water resistant specially when driving in the rain than the 510. I do wish they showed the back door of the 420 model from the outside when top is raised.. couldn't the sides be constructed lower, which would lower the overall height when top is down? Without losing height inside when top is up? Height of side panels and back panels would determine top height when top is up..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:54 pm

Staryder61 wrote:.. couldn't the sides be constructed lower, which would lower the overall height when top is down? Without losing height inside when top is up? Height of side panels and back panels would determine top height when top is up..

David,

I think the control factor on the side panel height is the height of the galley cabinets. To go "thinner" you could design the cabinets, like they are in many pop-up trailers, so that they are split vertically in half with the upper half being raised/levered into position once the roof is in the up position.

BTW - I need to check in on your build. Hope it is going well even though we're in one of those continuous 100+ degree temperature summers.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:16 am

Just a possibility ...
Attachments
camperboat.png
camperboat.png (53.06 KiB) Viewed 700 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:17 am

the quartering view … :thinking:
Attachments
camperboat2.png
camperboat2.png (82.56 KiB) Viewed 697 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:07 pm

It's not as easy as it looks...

My first peek.... is similar to what Glen did, sans the boat... I started with a 16' long trailer. Filling in the sides with a wall is going to be interesting...
That phantom line is 70" standing height!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:48 pm

You know , the beauty thing about a folding trailer is it doesn’t really "have to" fold Flat like a pancake ( excuse me, a Waffle :lol: ) It could be a 4 ft. tall trailer that opens up to 6 feet … Just so long as it will fit in the garage … And you wouldn’t have to make it so long …

Maybe start with a conventional TTT size and design from there… A Pragmatic Pholder …

Apologies , I kinda like the Boat idea cause’ it’s always WET here… You never know when you’ll need a boat … and then there’s fishing … and having a boat you don’t have to register , because it's not a boat at all is it? It’s a camper top… :R
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:08 pm

Mike
For the back wall to be straight it will have to be forward at least a foot with the hinge that far down. If you look at the pics of the original trailer the front goes up a couple feet as the top goes up. that way the back wall geometry works. Remember what we learned with the WW rockhopper work. The hinge height has to be half way between the up and down height of the back of the hatch levels for the back wall to be straight. They got around that by raising the pivot point as the top went up.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby GPW » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:51 am

This would be a good one to make a scale model out of corrugated cardboard ( hot glue ,masking tape ) … Get to play with all the “workings" , make changes easily , experiment … work out all the details , before committing resources to a full size build … 1” = 1’ ... :thinking:

Mike , I’m afraid I’ve come to the time when I’m just looking to build another trailer , I know , I’m just getting the FoamStream redone , but I can’t help thinking about a NEW trailer build .. something different , that fits in the garage... and If I can make a Boat out of the top ( NBD, already been done) Then we’ll go for that too …From what I see here is half an Aliner ( sorta-ish ) , a simple flat boat covering over a box … tilt the back end of the “boat” up and use the fold down flaps built into the box to fill in the difference ... and while using the boat , the box could possibly have a snap on tonneau cover, or even a tent … If I can make a small one with cardboard , I know I can make a bigger one with something more substantial … :thumbsup: Rainy day work for me …:rainy:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion