Beware leather scented air fresheners

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Beware leather scented air fresheners

Postby friz » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:57 am

My camper now smells like old spice. Nuf said.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Re: Beware leather scented air fresheners

Postby working on it » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:48 am

• My drag-racing Chevelle, sitting idle in my garage for 10 years, but raced for 12 years before that, has always smelled of Irish Spring soap bars. I read somewhere that they deter rodents from making a home if they smell the soap bars (why Irish Spring ?, I don't know), so I took a couple from the shower (I was using that brand at the time, coincidently), and put them in the interior and trunk, as an experiment. My steel garage has corrugated sides and roofing, so there are many gaps/openings for mice to enter (sometimes rats, birds, and snakes...there's a 3 ft copperhead living in the garage now, I found his discarded skin inside an armoire I was removing from the garage, last week). My Chevelle has a couple of gaps around the rollcage, where mice could enter, but the Irish Spring soap bars (there are now eight inside it) have worked so far in keeping them from nesting, Besides, when still racing it, it smelled so fresh....!
  • My TTT squareback, sitting in the garage next to the Chevelle, is totally sealed from rodent or insect entry (3/4" plywood and tons of PL adhesive deter entry), but the sidewall vents are left open, year-round, to equalize temperature, and allow some airflow inside (foam mattresses always give off fumes, even years later, and should be allowed to breathe). The design of the vents keeps dust out, but the dusty/stagnant garage air isn't what I want to smell when I take the trailer out camping, so I use Snuggle dryer sheets (or the Walmart equivalent), to "freshen" the air inside, keeping one sheet at all four corners of the cabin. No musty, dusty smell. Is there an "Old Spice" dryer sheet available?...I might like that for a change!
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:34 pm

friz wrote:My camper now smells like old spice. Nuf said.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You say that like it's a bad thing... :D
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby NorthEGPhoto » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:45 pm

working on it wrote:
  • My drag-racing Chevelle, sitting idle in my garage for 10 years, but raced for 12 years before that, has always smelled of Irish Spring soap bars. I read somewhere that they deter rodents from making a home if they smell the soap bars (why Irish Spring ?, I don't know), so I took a couple from the shower (I was using that brand at the time, coincidently), and put them in the interior and trunk, as an experiment. My steel garage has corrugated sides and roofing, so there are many gaps/openings for mice to enter (sometimes rats, birds, and snakes...there's a 3 ft copperhead living in the garage now, I found his discarded skin inside an armoire I was removing from the garage, last week). My Chevelle has a couple of gaps around the rollcage, where mice could enter, but the Irish Spring soap bars (there are now eight inside it) have worked so far in keeping them from nesting, Besides, when still racing it, it smelled so fresh....!
  • My TTT squareback, sitting in the garage next to the Chevelle, is totally sealed from rodent or insect entry (3/4" plywood and tons of PL adhesive deter entry), but the sidewall vents are left open, year-round, to equalize temperature, and allow some airflow inside (foam mattresses always give off fumes, even years later, and should be allowed to breathe). The design of the vents keeps dust out, but the dusty/stagnant garage air isn't what I want to smell when I take the trailer out camping, so I use Snuggle dryer sheets (or the Walmart equivalent), to "freshen" the air inside, keeping one sheet at all four corners of the cabin. No musty, dusty smell. Is there an "Old Spice" dryer sheet available?...I might like that for a change!

Hmm.. I imagine the copperhead probably would help quite a bit with any sort of mouse problem as well eh?
"In the morning, the light is golden, in the midday 'tis time to nap, and in the evening the light returns. Into the night the stars shine brightly, now if only the moon would stay out of sight." - Some photographer
NorthEGPhoto
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion