Tear Drop shape...why?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Tear Drop shape...why?

Postby djdawg » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:36 pm

My thread is a bit tongue-in-cheek but I started thinking about all the difficulties that everyone seems to have when building the teardrop and a lot of it seems to be around the curved roof. Is it sexy? Definitely. Is it more attractive than a non curved roof? You bet your sweet bippy. Does it add and cause a lot of frustration? I think so. I guess it might save a few miles per gallon because it's more aerodynamic but I'm honestly considering not having a curved roof. Please see my highly artistic and scientific drawing.

Depending on the slope of the curve it seems like you do get more space inside as opposed to my design and I would have to reconfigure how to open up to the galley but it's a thought....
Attachments
PicsArt_08-05-07.09.07.jpg
PicsArt_08-05-07.09.07.jpg (89.65 KiB) Viewed 2052 times
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Re: Tear Drop shape...why?

Postby djdawg » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:43 pm

After a lot of thought (5 minutes) I've altered the design to give it more room inside but still no curved roof.
Attachments
PicsArt_08-05-07.16.54.jpg
PicsArt_08-05-07.16.54.jpg (127.25 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Postby troubleScottie » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:02 pm

The rational of the curve is to reduce the air resistance. Look up the resistance/air flow over various shapes. The half wing is very efficient.

The square back is a big drag -- bigger than the wing and many other designs.

You can make it more inefficient -- having a larger cross section than the towing vehicle either higher or wider or lower. To a fair extent, the trailer and the towing vehicle act more like two objects due to the spacing between the two and turbulence between the vehicles.

The other issue is making the teardrop light in weight. Lower walls, smaller walls eg wing vs rectangle, narrow eg 4 feet or 5 feet. Generally less materials equates to less weight.

Why does the design need to be more efficient? The teardrop is being towed by a smaller, low tow weight vehicle. If you are building for a 3/4 ton pickup with a tow package, you may not care. Building for a Prius, you have to be.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby djdawg » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:31 pm

Thanks Michael for your thoughts....all of them make perfect sense.

I'm still debating on what to do but I have stumbled across Mike's Weekender and that is very appealing to a first-time Builder like me.
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:49 pm

I don’t know how you have concluded that creating a curved roof is difficult.

There are no odd-angled butt joints with a traditional shaped teardrop like there are with what some people call square backs.

I see builders getting in trouble when they attempt to sheath the roof with a plywood that isn’t meant to bend.

Armed with tools and a bit of knowledge the curve is easy.

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Louisd75 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:35 pm

I'm with Tony. My trailer is pretty curvy and it honestly wasn't a big deal. Also, looks like you're local to me. Feel free to PM if you need any suggestions on sourcing materials.
Louisd75
Teardrop Master

Postby djdawg » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:44 am

Louisd75 wrote:I'm with Tony. My trailer is pretty curvy and it honestly wasn't a big deal. Also, looks like you're local to me. Feel free to PM if you need any suggestions on sourcing materials.

Hey Louis! You are local! That's awesome! I went to what I guess is your profile page to PM you and I did not see any options to do that. Feel free to PM me then I can respond. Thanks!
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:58 am

Ever think they just look really NICE !!! 8) And for physical reasons the rounded half tubular ‘ish structure gives it strength beyond "the Box" ... :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ottsville » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:06 am

GPW wrote:And for physical reasons the rounded half tubular ‘ish structure gives it strength beyond "the Box" ... :thumbsup:

I keep seeing this statememt being made, but I don't think I understand why. Could you please explain it in simple terms to me?

I agree that it makes a better appearance.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby friz » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:24 am

Ottsville wrote:
GPW wrote:And for physical reasons the rounded half tubular ‘ish structure gives it strength beyond "the Box" ...

I keep seeing this statememt being made, but I don't think I understand why. Could you please explain it in simple terms to me?

A pop cans resistance to buckling is probably the easiest way to observe this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:17 am

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13925

It's an ancient post but it shows how easy the layout can be !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby djdawg » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:14 pm

:)
Last edited by djdawg on Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:49 pm

friz wrote:
Ottsville wrote:
GPW wrote:And for physical reasons the rounded half tubular ‘ish structure gives it strength beyond "the Box" ...

A pop cans resistance to buckling is probably the easiest way to observe this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I was thinking along similar lines: Imagine how easy it is to crush an empty cereal box vs a paper towel tube.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:08 pm

Another explanation!: Sheets of paper, slices of pizza, and even plywood, can only bend in one direction at a time. (Must be true--I read about the pizza and paper in a math journal. And why would a mathematician lie about something like that? I'm inferring it is the same with plywood, based solely on my engineering intuition. :) )

Hold a slice of pizza with a slight bend in the crust and the nose doesn't flop over. Hold a piece of paper with your thumb creating a slight bend and the other end stays rigid. Put a bend in your teardrop plywood, and it will resist bending in the perpendicular direction.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Ottsville » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:49 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:I was thinking along similar lines: Imagine how easy it is to crush an empty cereal box vs a paper towel tube.

Tom

Tom&Shelly wrote:Another explanation!: Sheets of paper, slices of pizza, and even plywood, can only bend in one direction at a time. (Must be true--I read about the pizza and paper in a math journal. And why would a mathematician lie about something like that? I'm inferring it is the same with plywood, based solely on my engineering intuition. :) )

Hold a slice of pizza with a slight bend in the crust and the nose doesn't flop over. Hold a piece of paper with your thumb creating a slight bend and the other end stays rigid. Put a bend in your teardrop plywood, and it will resist bending in the perpendicular direction.

Tom

Ok, those examples both make sense and me hungry.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion