Camera Systems Recomendations

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Camera Systems Recomendations

Postby cg_ops » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:01 am

Anyone have any particularly good/bad experiences with any camera systems for your trailers? Wired vs Wireless?

I'm waiting on fabrication of a mildly-customized 24x8.5 cargo trailer that I'll be converting into a travel trailer/toy hauler and I would really feel more comfortable with driving/maneuvering it with at least 1 rear facing camera.

I'm currently considering this http://a.co/1uBObHx system and setting it up like this:

- 1 centered above the rear door/ramp
    - 2 on the sides, high and in the front for lane changes and judging wheel location on narrow roads
    - 1 inside to keep an eye on my motorcycles and possibly my dog (he HATES riding in the car and I migt build him a dedicated travel spot in the trailer. Yes, I'll be making sure it's ventilated and air conditioned/heated. He won't be in there unless I have a camera and can make sure he's ok at all times)

Mostly looking for what worked/didn't work for you. How you felt wired vs wireless worked. etc. Any thoughts/input is appreciated! Thank you!
cg_ops
Teardrop Builder

Re: Camera Systems Recomendations

Postby working on it » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:12 pm

cg_ops wrote:...Mostly looking for what worked/didn't work for you. How you felt wired vs wireless worked. etc. Any thoughts/input is appreciated! Thank you!
***** I installed a cheap back-up camera on my HHR Panel, so I could see better than by just using my rearview mirrors (the enclosed panel truck has really limited viewing angles, that took a lot of getting accustomed to in crowded shopping centers). I bought it at Pep Boys in 2010, and used it for four years before the camera became damaged.
***** I mounted it underneath the bumper, 6-8 inches above the ground, so I wouldn't have to mount it inside the rear hatch. I hardwired it in, though it said it was also wireless, but it never got a picture in the viewer until I re-connected the line to the camera (I had already mounted the camera, and never tested it previously). But, it was useful in a limited way, even with an unlighted camera (back-up lights and taillights were sufficient, though), and with a 3" monochrome display, it was a bit hard to discern details (already 60 when I installed it, my eyes had some trouble viewing it).
***** I've since driven a couple of newer Chevy's with their factory rearview system, and there's been a quantum increase in usability, with the newer systems...so much so, that I have considered adding a similar one on my TTT and HHR (switching the system from one to another, depending on which I'm using), if I find a wireless good one for cheap, though I really don't need one, since I rarely use either.
***** In your case, though, since you can run a wired network into your unfinished trailer without any problem, I'd not go wireless, since there are a myriad of wireless-transmitting sources out there that might interfere with reception. At my old job, they tried wireless cameras for security purposes, but switched to wired units, after some unknown interference source kept degrading reception. So why not just use hardwiring, and avoid a future problem that might occur?
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CorgiShack » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:47 pm

do a search for the corgishack post from February 9 2017 there is a bunch of information there.i'll be happy to answer any additional questions .posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=70808#
CorgiShack
Teardrop Inspector

Postby CorgiShack » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:53 pm

do a search for the corgishack post from February 9 2017 there is a bunch of information there. I'll be happy to answer any additional questions.
CorgiShack
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:26 pm

We have a Yada which I got at Costco, it is wireless and I am looking to replace it as it sort of works. Too wide an angel and screen too dark.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby CorgiShack » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:59 pm

the first system that we had was marginal at best. it was wireless and picked up interference from just about everything. I eventually hooked the antennas together with shielded cable. after a number of years the contrast started failing and would wash out as it warmed up. tadi brothers co{there are probably other options] sells their systems as rear view cameras, as opposed to backup cameras which are only intended to be on when backing up.the new system has much better resolution as well as a larger screen in the same footprint as the old one.it also has the grid option which makes getting this hard to backup combination we have much easier.
CorgiShack
Teardrop Inspector

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:37 pm

Below is a link to a video showing how to use an old smart phone as a camera ... at no additional cost ... at least you could see inside the trailer while you drive the tow vehicle ... looks interesting to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaF_3vSjldo
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion