Making siding w/ metal roller

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Making siding w/ metal roller

Postby Patrick Star » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:47 pm

I know some of you must do this, so what are you using for your source of inexpensive aluminum?

Let's see some pictures of your handy work.

I'll be building a 1973 Caveman copy in the near future and need to slap some skin in her.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Patrick Star
Teardrop Builder

Re: Making siding w/ metal roller

Postby Aguyfromohio » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:32 pm

I know where you can get the opposite of cheap metal skin.
If you want very expensive metal skin, go to your local franchise of metalsupermarkets.com
I paid about $120 each for 4 x 8 sheets of .040 prepainted aluminum skin sheets, painted both sides with a peel-off protective film on one side.

It was my first experience buying from metal supermarket, and except for the high price it was a great experience.
They have locations all over; they have no minimum quantity, and they will cut you a custom size from the big sheet at the same price per square foot as the full sheet. They charge so much for the full sheet they are happy to cut it down and eat the left over scrap. My local outlet delivered free within a few miles, staff on the phone very friendly, paid by credit card.

It's WAY expensive, but it's full service with a smile.

I searched around for metal skin at the beginning of my build but I kept finding outlets aimed at industrial customers. Pretty big minimum orders, no interest in cutting a sheet, charges for a shipping crate, I had to send my truck to their dock for shipping, or they ship to me by LTL carrier for extra charges but I need a loading dock or fork truck at my end to unload the heavy crate of full sheets from the big semi truck. I built my trailer at my house in a suburban neighborhood, none of that works for me.

So I went with the easy but expensive solution.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:37 am

Some guys have used flashing and installed foam backing for stability
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby Patrick Star » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:51 pm

Awesome, thanks for the advice. Been doing alot of reading and thinking of the FRP shower panel

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Patrick Star
Teardrop Builder

Return to General Discussion