The Well Connected Teardrop

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

The Well Connected Teardrop

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:52 pm

As is often the case the absence of the technology leads to, well, solutions.
I was a late adopter of a smart phone having used a flip phone (beam me up scotty), for years. I had a Verizion MiFi to use with the laptop and iPad. On a number of camping trips in Michigan and Ohio there was not enough signal strength to connect. Was the frame of Compass Rose, aluminum frame acting as a faraday cage.
The first step was an exterior antenna, omnidirectional, connecting to the MiFi hot spot which helped, some. However you can not receive what is not there, or too weak.
The next step was the use of a cell signal booster and with advice I purchased a Weboost Drive Sleek. One of the considerations because of the short distance between antenna and booster was oscillation/feedback and the Drive Sleek is intended to be used in a vehicle with somewhat less powerful and a big plus half the price.

The cradle will hold a cell phone or in our case the hotspot

Weeboost Drive Sleek

TV and Omnidirectional antenna

Florida Fort Wilderness prior to the cell booster

Antenna mast, painter pole attached with bracket over the tongue box. (not permanent)

N series antenna connection, yes I know it is a bit off center.

Directional cell antenna used up in Agawa Bay Canada.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: The Well Connected Teardrop

Postby 2bits » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:53 pm

I will check out the drive sleek, I have the WeBoost in my house ($400 1500SF version which barely works at 30 feet) it has gotten worse over the years and I presume weather has taken it's toll. My place is only 14x50 mobile home and my aluminum exterior is my issue as well.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Re: The Well Connected Teardrop

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:37 am

Thomas, The Drive Sleek has a cradle that is intended to hold your phone. In our case it holds the Verizon Mifi which works well.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion