Interesting Teardrop design

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Interesting Teardrop design

Postby greenchicken » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:53 pm

This weekend it finally begins. After years of talking about and months of preparing, my son and I will order the 5x8 trailer from Northern Tool and begin clearing the garage.

While scanning the web for information I fell upon this teardrop trailer for the reasonable price of only $63,000.

https://www.curbed.com/2017/10/18/16497486/hutte-hut-teardrop-trailer-wooden

There are a few concepts here that intrigue me and I am most curious for your opinions.

1. Double swing doors: I have been consider various door designs to get the maximum opening. Do you think this idea would pose a structural issue?

2. Bowed Roof: More then the bow itself it look like it is translucent, it almost looks like a canvas although for $63K I am sure it in some molded plastic. But has anyone ever try a canvas roof? I like the idea of the light, the light weight, and the ease of construction, But I have concerns about warmth and again structural considerations.

3. No Pantry. In all my scale models I continue to reduce the size of the pantry. I hesitate cooking and storing food in the trailers. I always keep all food locked in my van. I have had experiences with raccoon, coyotes, and even one bear exploring my camp site late night.
greenchicken
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Interesting Teardrop design

Postby greygoos » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:32 am

Hi and welcome. In answer to your questions in my opinion.
1 Double swing doors shouldnt be a problem as long as the frame supports the roof. Keep in mind that you need to take extra care in sealing the framing to prevent leaks.
2 I am pretty sure that the roof you referred to is made from Dacron not plastic.
3 There are many opinions and experience with having a pantry and or cooking in your trailer.
Make it yours and yours alone.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:22 am

Just a crazy thought. How about twin wall polycarbonate for a roof section. It is light semi see through. Bendable in The one direction, and a insulated. Just thinking out loud.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Aguyfromohio » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:58 am

KennethW wrote:Just a crazy thought. How about twin wall polycarbonate for a roof section. It is light semi see through. Bendable in The one direction, and a insulated. Just thinking out loud.

If you are willing to heat it up to soften it you can make any shape you like.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:06 am

Twin wall polycarbonate has a UV coating on one side. I do not know how get it hot to bend will effect it. But it does very good on solar panels.Image

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby greenchicken » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:46 am

A friend showed me the chesapeake light craft Tear drop website, any opinions/expereiences on that one?

https://www.clcboats.com/teardrop

greenchicken
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:09 am

[quote...]it look like it is translucent, it almost looks like a canvas although for $63K...[/quote]

Whoever designed that hasn't spent any time camping in a teardrop. 'Drops need a fan and screened windows. That thing is going to be an oven with that ceiling.

I don't find entering/exiting with Vintage Tech's 30" wide doors a problem. Closing those barn doors might be.

:thinking:

Tony

p.s. and for that much money wouldn't you expect a galley?

tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:15 am

greenchicken wrote:A friend showed me the chesapeake light craft Tear drop website, any opinions/expereiences on that one?

They're a sweet camper. There's a build documented on this forum.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:37 pm

That roof is probably dacron. Most likely the heavier stuff used with skin on frame boat building. Could be aircraft weight dacron but that is pretty thin.

I'd worry about how well those big doors would seal when towing through a driving rain storm. Nice shape though and I like the cool rear windows.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby edgeau » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:16 pm

Ventilation and insect screening are essential. You could just hang a mosquito net inside and leave the big doors open at night but it is nice to have a roof vent and close up in rainy weather
tony.latham wrote:[quote...]it look like it is translucent, it almost looks like a canvas although for $63K...

Whoever designed that hasn't spent any time camping in a teardrop. 'Drops need a fan and screened windows. That thing is going to be an oven with that ceiling.

I don't find entering/exiting with Vintage Tech's 30" wide doors a problem. Closing those barn doors might be.

Tony

Image[/quote]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:12 pm

edgeau wrote:Ventilation and insect screening are essential. You could just hang a mosquito net inside and leave the big doors open at night but it is nice to have a roof vent and close up in rainy weather
tony.latham wrote:[quote...]it look like it is translucent, it almost looks like a canvas although for $63K...

Tony

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk[/quote]

Maybe they throw in an extra big bottle of DEET.

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby friz » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:06 am

greenchicken wrote:A friend showed me the chesapeake light craft Tear drop website, any opinions/expereiences on that one?

If you want a roomy teardrop that can be pulled behind a small car, they are perfect. Love mine.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby greenchicken » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:18 pm

My only issue with the CLC is how much room is given to the pantry. I want the maximum amount of room IN the camper. Do you know if the wall to the pantry can be repositioned to make in inside bigger?
greenchicken
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rowerwet » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:42 pm

greenchicken wrote:My only issue with the CLC is how much room is given to the pantry. I want the maximum amount of room IN the camper. Do you know if the wall to the pantry can be repositioned to make in inside bigger?

The issue with the CLC design is that a change like the galley would throw off much of the rest of the kit materials and fit.
An expert boat and teardrop builder could probably pull it off, but your average or first timer could easily ruin the expensive kit
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby friz » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:06 am

I thought the same while building. I think the position of the bulkhead has a lot to do with the position of the shelf. After living with my camper for a couple years, I would not change the position of the shelf. Any further away would not be convenient. Any closer would make it a knee banger. Mr Harris has made a name designing small water craft that could be overnighted in. This camper is not a traditional TD by any means but it works. For those that say the doors aren't wide enough, I'm guessing they haven't tried them. Me and the Mrs are no light weights and they work fine with us.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Return to General Discussion