Mattress to Seat, Frame Ideas?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Mattress to Seat, Frame Ideas?

Postby Tomterrific » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:46 pm

I have always wondered about being trapped inside in bad weather. It could be boring. It could be uncomfortable. This is why I am thinking of making a sort of futon to turn my mattress into comfortable seating for two. The mattress should run up the front wall of the camper to form the back of the seat. Easily getting the mattress up the wall is where I could use some ideas. I have come up with some crazy ideas but I've been here long enough to know I'm not the only crazy. Let's hear some.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Re: Mattress to Seat, Frame Ideas?

Postby tiiiiii85 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:53 pm

I found an instructable for a simple futon https://www.instructables.com/id/How-To ... Bed-Frame/

Otherwise they sell the mechanism for making a sofa that turns into bed specifically for vans. At least in Europe almost all the vans converted into campers have a system like this:

https://pin.it/tfescrgwtjvq2z

Here is an example on how it's used

https://pin.it/znxhmgh2iy3q34Image
tiiiiii85
Teardrop Builder

Postby John61CT » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:03 pm

Bar fixed underneath, 4" from the top, where your pillow is

ropes from either end up to ceiling-corner mounted pulleys

Slatted flat "headboard" bottom slides out 10-30" to give a leaning angled back support, some sort of catch to hold in position

Done
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:38 am

We got a bunch of outdoor cushions on clearance at Wal Mart , and they can be arranged any way you want , no heavy frame required …
Attachments
DSCF0111 copy.JPG
DSCF0111 copy.JPG (149.92 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
FS pillows.JPG
FS pillows.JPG (239.88 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
DSCF0107x.JPG
DSCF0107x.JPG (208.44 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:25 am

If you decide to build the futon, you aren't necessarily stuck with "standard" futon mattress sizes (whatever those may be). Shelly took my bachelor guest bed futon mattress and cut it down so it will be our teardrop mattress:

Took a lot of hand stitching on her part, but she finished the mod in an afternoon.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:45 am

Thanks for ideas so far. John is thinking about where I am.
Our tiny camper is standard 4' high by 4' wide. The frame must be low so the mattress won't put our nose on the ceiling. The frame must lift our mattress lengthwise. I need to be able to get the top of the mattress up the front wall while moving the entire mattress forward.
Crazy. Build a light low frame hinged about the middle. Pull the top with a rope to get it up for a back rest. Slide the bottom back with a rope to get the mattress flat again. Put rollers, 4 on the bottom frame and two on the top against the wall to ease transition.
Last night a buddy gave a simple idea. Use air bags to raise the backrest. I like this but for the fact it would take up valuable space between the front wall and the backrest. Any device has got to slide the mattress into position.
Use heavy slippery plastic sheet to tub the floor and front wall so the mattress can be muscled into position. I don't think I would have enough muscle to do this easily!
Over thinking. Just bring extra pillows to prop up against the wall. Probably the best idea so far but so boring! :-)
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby John61CT » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:00 am

What is this "frame" of which you speak?

4" of dense foam, covered with tough waterproof say vinyl, basically like gym mat.

Attachment of the hoisting lines to the top back just needs to distribute the stress & strain so as not to tear the mat cover.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:53 pm

This is what I did in one of my builds. I used the folding bed mechanism's out of the rear of a leisure van. Most junk yards have several. When in the up positions there are 2 benches with your feet in the drop floor. Fold them down and they make a queen size bed.

Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:14 am

WB, You have my dream setup. Unfortunately, it will not fit in a standard 4x4x8 teardrop.

Tom, Shrinking our futon mattress is something I have considered. As it is now we drop it in as an upside down taco so the mattress spreads out to the sides. It is nice to see someone has successfully done this.

John, The frame would be light wood. 1x2 for the lengthwise members and 1x3 or 4 for the crosswise. It would lay on the floor and be hinged about a third of the way down for the seat back. Some sort of rollers on the bottom would ease the sliding for the transition. Preloaded springs or bungee would also help moving the mattress frame into position.
Tomt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby John61CT » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:36 am

My question would be Why?

I have slept for many thousands of nights on a tough "gym" style mat directly on a strong flat floor.

I think putting a frame in there just complicates things unnecessarily.

Basically forcing you to Inspector Gadget / Rube Goldberg DIY duplicate that rock 'n roll mechanism above.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tomterrific » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:17 am

I see where you are coming from John, I really do. Making that frame is easier for me than making a vinyl covered mattress pad plus I want the mattress thicker than a pad. When I use the camper alone I have used a Thermorest mattress and that gives me room. I whipped up a beach type chair that fits well inside and is comfy. The futon mattress that my wife and I use is much better than a Thermorest. There is no room for chairs, of course. As of this moment the idea for a "Craftmatic" bed is just that, a thought.

It sure is fun dreaming of a comfy mini space.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:01 pm

On my Fourth Tiny trailer now ( including one not so tiny “RV” ) , and formerly a Kustom Van Camper back in those days … I can pragmatically assure you towing a lot of HEAVY comfort around isn’t as much fun as towing your favorite camping gear , like your fishing gear , TV , waffle iron , that Dutch oven , the wife ... comfort is as close as a thick roll up Yoga mat and a good pillow ... all that “furniture" just gets in the way of hauling all your Fun "stuff” … I mean , don’t take me wrong it Looks Really Good like a little “home” ( the precious !!!) … Just I have a lot of “stuff" to bring and like/need a lot of floorspace to stretch out , or not … You have your choice … I always suggest camping with it empty at first just to see what you really need and not what you dream you need … Prevents those “ I shoulda‘ dones “ :duh: Always easy to add more later … You can even “plan” for it , and install it as need wants . :thinking:
Attachments
image-4.jpg
image-4.jpg (78.73 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:09 am

Tomterrific wrote: vinyl covered mattress pad plus I want the mattress thicker than a pad.
OK

Just FYI, I've gone to 4-5" thick, with firm dense foam that's plenty, but could always add a fluffier topper.

And plenty of places will make it up for you, no need to DIY.

And they're good forever, well over a decade.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

1/4"Plywood Might Help

Postby Dusty Mark » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:58 am

If you're goal is to make the backrest portion more rigid, stuff a piece of 1/4" plywood into the bottom side of the cushion. This will keep it rigid when it's resting against the wall of the camper. Check out Dusty Mark's 5 x 10 build journal for how I made my futon system. Keep it simple...
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Postby Tomterrific » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:10 pm

John, you make a good argument for a vinyl pad type mattress. When I started to think about a sitting room I did not consider a new mattress.

GPW, I actually made my trailer to hold a motorcycle. I have 4 old bikes. Thus the Thermorest pad for solo camping. Extended trips with my wife are much better with a good mattress. I have one of the lightest campers made here. I originally towed it with a Miata. Sleeping is the reason for the camper. Before this we were tent campers and had great fun but for sleeping. Getting older now and like (need?) more comfort so I built the tiny camper on my old trailer. We spend all our time outside except for sleeping. Longer trips and possible bad weather is why i'm thinking of a comfort space for other than sleeping.

Dusty, The stiff board in back of a mattress pad would make a comfy back. Good idea.

Thanks all,
Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Return to General Discussion