WHY NOT: Floor Storage

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: WHY NOT: Floor Storage

Postby edgeau » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:52 am

You can. I had a steel frame so I can lift the whole TD off the trailer. That meant I had two floors so I sized it to take the folding table. I access it from the Galley and under mattress hatches.ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby redbicycle » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:50 am

Since we are going with a Why Not thread, and I like this idea! For me the why not is because I want to keep the interior space instead of using it for storage space. Height is a limiting factor for those of us that are also building within the requirements of fitting under a standard sized garage door. For me that is why not.
redbicycle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby John61CT » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:30 pm

When they go high, we go low
John61CT wrote:Storage can also go lower than the usual "floor level" no need for a single 2D solid platform

but tricky to design, and can increase build costs, especially if trying for light weight.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Also see dropped suspensions, and pop-ups
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:56 pm

I really never used it because it was a pain to move the mattress and bedding out of the way to get access to the stuff.

Exactly. On my first 'drop––which was a commercial Hunter that you can see on the left-- it had under-mattress storage. We stuck some stuff there but quit using it after the first summer. Too much of a hassle to get at.

If we could have accessed it from the outside I suppose we would have used it. If you go down that road, make sure your doors seal to keep out water and dust.

:frightened:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Futon Mattress Makes Access Easier

Postby Dusty Mark » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:05 am

We built a 6" basement into our camper primarily to give more vertical leg room when converting our bed to the sofa mode. After sewing our galley tent, we only use that feature in the cold/rainy shoulder seasons, but we're glad we have it. Even with the three-section futon, we find the under-floor storage feature inconvenient to access for regularly used items.
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to General Discussion