Axel Location

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Axel Location

Postby greenchicken » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:23 pm

I was about to order the NorthernTool 5x8 trailer when I noticed that the axel is position in the center.

In an early post I it was mentioned you want a 60/40 split.

When I look at images of Teardrops the wheel look even farther back then that.

Do I need to position the cabin forward 2 feet?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 10.46.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 10.46.08 AM.png (149.37 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
greenchicken
Teardrop Advisor

Axel Location

Postby mcubberley » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:40 pm

I built mine with the stock axle location. It tracks and ride nicely even at freeway speeds with high speed aftermarket tires. My galley is fairly heavy but I tend to also load gear in the cabin and have a climateright ac on the front to even it out. Perhaps I got lucky but my plans didn’t call to relocate the axel.

Some day I will figure out something to put here. But for now....
mcubberley
Teardrop Master

Re: Axel Location

Postby greenchicken » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:59 pm

Please tell me more about this "climateright ac "
greenchicken
Teardrop Advisor

Postby swoody126 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:35 am

if my eyes are correct that whole trailer is bolted together and all you would need to do is drill a few carefully spaced holes to move the whole undercarriage aft IF that's what you desire

IMHO (& i've built quite a few trailers from scratch and from assembed random parts[working on one now for a special sail boat]) the undercarriage location is not determined by a % fore n aft

it is determined by tongue weight

some will dissagree

tongue weight on the TV is more important to me

folks who are towing or intend to tow w/ smaller TV's will find weight a critical element

40/60% fore n aft on a 2000#+ trailer could easily excede my Jeep's 200# tongue weight max cap

i try to shoot for a 50#-75# tongue weight for anything other than farm n travel trailers which get towed by the F-350

75# tongue weight w/ a pivoting wheel tongue jack can be easily moved/positioned even off pavement BY HAND

admittedly the longer wheel base is easier to back and if tongue weight is not part of your design brief put the axle wherever you desire by simply drilling new holes in the frame

just this od man's 2¢ worth this morning

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby GTS225 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:55 pm

I'd have to agree with Swoody on this. Admittedly, the percentages for axle placement do play a large part in it, but your TV also has to be considered greatly in the equation.

I've built a 20' flatbed car trailer from scratch, and placed the axle center line(s) at 55%, and it worked out great for my '95 Dakota, as well as the '05 Dak that replaced it.
On the other hand, I built a little "barrel" cargo trailer with the spindle center line at 60%, and it still ended up being a little light in the tongue weight. (The barrel trailer was based on an old, 80-gallon, David Bradley agricultural sprayer tank, mounted horizontally in a heavy wall cradle-style frame.) I have to watch how I pack that one, lest it not have any tongue weight and tow in a rather dramatic fashion.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby rkanz » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:02 pm

It is really easy to reposition the spring hanger on a NT trailer. This is where I placed mine, the hanger is rotated 180 degrees an I placed the existing holes over the rear cross member bolts. The balance is good on my design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rkanz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:18 pm

And don't forget....

To coordinate the axle/fender location with your doors.

:shock:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:43 am

I simply extended the body forward 2 feet after adding a extended tongue. It was so much easier than cutting and welding spring perches.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby mcubberley » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:20 pm

greenchicken wrote:Please tell me more about this "climateright ac "

Plenty of info on the forums. Some like them some don’t. I love that it’s an ac and heat pump. It takes a couple hours for it (2500 btu) to cool my trailer from stored in the sun closed up to 70 degree comfy. The gentle heat was wonderful on my last trip that bottomed out around freezing at night. Ceiling and floor is insulated and walls are just 3/4. No sweating and had the ceiling vent open a crack and running for fresh air. I also like that there is zero chance for water damage due to leaking since it’s on the tongue and no drainage plumbing to clog up.

Anyways have a search and you’ll find lots of fun info. They tend to go on sale in the winter. Have fun and good luck on your build. It’s such a rewarding process.
Some day I will figure out something to put here. But for now....
mcubberley
Teardrop Master

Postby noseoil » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:02 am

Ours was 54/46, which was due to the guy who had the trailer before me & added a foot to the rear deck area on a 5' X 8' with the normal offset. Have to be careful with weight, but the tongue box with all the stuff in it helps get the right tongue weight. It's almost a 50/50 split over the length of the cabin.

The second trailer frame I did with a more conventional 60/40 split over 10' so it's much better in general. Be careful of tongue weight on a load. As was mentioned, a semi has all the weight forward, but tracks well because of it. You need a 10% minimum of the total load in the trailer as tongue weight for high speed towing. For in-town towing less would be ok, but on the highway with cross winds, bumps & higher speeds it's just not safe!
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Aguyfromohio » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:16 am

Here's a video that makes the point.
Weight at front is good, weight at back is bad

Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Return to General Discussion