How and where do you store your security shotgun

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: How and where do you store your security shotgun

Postby friz » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:37 pm

In my younger days I used to teach self defense to help defray to cost of martial arts training and gym. I am by no means an expert, so take or leave what I have to say.
I would forgo the use of a legal length shortened shot gun. For the following reasons.

1. The longer the muzzle of your weapon, the easier it is for an attacker to control the business end of it.

2. Theshold laws that can protect you in many states would put the attacker in bed with you in a teardrop. Wielding a large weapon in such close quarters would be difficult.

3. If you do manage to put enough distance between you and an attacker, let's say in the parking lot of a Walmart where you are boondocking, and you kill them. The local courts will probably see you as just two vagrants having a fight in a parking lot, and you are the one that brought a lethal weapon to it. Possible premeditation.

My preferance would be a small revolver, preferably one without an exposed hammer. I also keep a 14 inch French chef and a tire iron handy if I am somewhere sketchy.

Cheers, be safe.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby GTS225 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:50 pm

I think I have to agree with Friz on all counts. There is much truth in points 1 & 2. Point three may be entirely in the local prosecutor's mind, and or agenda.

His last sentence, not so much. I think a Taurus Judge might be a good candidate for the assigned task. Gives one the benefit of a shot shell, and there are a number of loads , both lethal and non-lethal, for the .410. The thing is heavy and ugly, but sometimes function is more important than form.

Now, if the OP is thinking along the lines of other than two-legged intruders, a .410 is going to seriously leave you under-protected.

Roger
GTS225
The 300 Club

Postby Karen Clancy » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:26 am

I understand about the length of a shotgun in a small quarters the shockwave has a total length of 24 " which was designed to use in case of emergence were tight quarters are present. As far as NON 2 legged characters go a slug shell in any of the calibers go will be suffice. I also believe that the noise from the slide on a shotgun will get someones attention , there's something about that noise of loading a shell that seams to open one's senses . not to mention the red dot on there chest . Kerry
Karen Clancy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby swoody126 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:32 am

GTS225 wrote:I think I have to agree with Friz on all counts. There is much truth in points 1 & 2. Point three may be entirely in the local prosecutor's mind, and or agenda.

His last sentence, not so much. I think a Taurus Judge might be a good candidate for the assigned task. Gives one the benefit of a shot shell, and there are a number of loads , both lethal and non-lethal, for the .410. The thing is heavy and ugly, but sometimes function is more important than form.

Now, if the OP is thinking along the lines of other than two-legged intruders, a .410 is going to seriously leave you under-protected.

Roger

i realize both Fritz and Roger have somewhat strayed from the OP's OP butt i feel their responses have merit

i have often posed this issue to myself and have yet to resolve it in my own mind

as one who taught Hunter Education/Firearm Safety the issue of a prosecuter's agenda was impressed on me by the instructors i studied under

and as i read this and other related threads(many on other more conservative forums) the issue keeps cropping up

responsible management IMHO is the only solution

concealing a firearm in a manner that the rightful owner can have reasonable access is imperative

being able to safely maneuver it in a confined space(the threshold laws) is critical

being effective w/o having to "aim" is necessary for personal protection of those who feel the need

IMHO the logic/reasoning for my personal situation/needs is evolving toward products like the JUDGE and the SNAKE CHARMER(or similar) firearms that shoot shot shells

PISTOL style handling

SHOT SHELL use(not in solid projectile mode)

IN HOUSE protection only(though it could be IN VEHICLE mode in some instances)

IF the need is IN HOUSE in a TD or TTT then it needs to be easily reachable from the sleeping position

a padded(for not banging around in transit) slot/shelf/hook within the intended protector's reach while prone(above film clip) would be in order

if in the IN VEHICLE mode then a padded shelf over the windshield/in door pocket/in seat pocket(not under the seat) would be viable options that provide instant access w/o having to move anything butt your arm n hand(not the body)

all that being said i will be interested in reading different solutions offered by the forumites

ones with viable solutions/potentially viable solutions will likely be best if/when designed into their rigs prior to construction

hopefully the proposals will not be like my dad's where he kept a long barrel shotgun(unloaded) on his off hand side between the mattress and the wall while keeping the ammunition at the back of his underwear drawer in the hall way :shock:

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby crttaz » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:26 am

Karen Clancy wrote:I understand about the length of a shotgun in a small quarters the shockwave has a total length of 24 " which was designed to use in case of emergence were tight quarters are present. As far as NON 2 legged characters go a slug shell in any of the calibers go will be suffice. I also believe that the noise from the slide on a shotgun will get someones attention , there's something about that noise of loading a shell that seams to open one's senses . not to mention the red dot on there chest . Kerry

Shockwave is not legal is all 50 states, esp. my home state of Ohio.
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby Westy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:47 am

Comment moved to new thread
Last edited by Westy on Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KTM_Guy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:30 pm

You guys like Vegimite, we like guns.

Some people feel they want to carry a gun for protection. I don’t feel I need to. But we have the right to do it.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Hamilton Felix » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:28 pm

Westy, you will note that when government starts taking away arms, violent crime goes up because criminals are less fearful. This is true not only in Australia, but everywhere. Everyone has the right to protect his life, from criminals and from criminal governments (when your government says you don't need your gun is when you really NEED your gun). The second amendment of our constitution does not give us that right, merely recognizes it. Call it a God-given right if you're religious, a natural human right if you aren't. Whatever the case, it trumps ANY government. Our goal, of course, is for all the good guys to carry guns, so we never have to use 'em. Read the history of Kennesaw, Georgia sometime, starting just before 1982. For that matter, read about Athens, Tennessee in 1946.

I have been thinking of underbed storage for long guns, more for transport than for quick access. But concealment is a priority to me. I'm thinking about underbed storage with a false bottom, then maybe another 3 inches below that.

For quick access, on you is always best. If it's not on you, I'm fine with under the pillow while sleeping. Search the Web and you'll find a variety of clever mantle shelves, cabinets, coffee tables, wall clocks, hollow books, etc. Naturally, everything you see on the Internet has been seen by the bad guys. Use your imagination. On one of our vehicles, I've been thinking of a center console compartment for an inverter, complete with visible wiring, 120VAC receptacle, posted "electrocution danger" warning, etc. Then put the gun underneath it. I think friz makes some good points. My wife has a couple of small S&W Centennials, one stainless, one airweight & magnaported from the Performance Center. They are very compact, simple and reliable. I'm a 1911 guy myself, but have reduced it to 4" barrel and light alloy frame. Somewhere around my house, I still have a plastic wall clock which swings down to reveal the handgun stored behind it (AA battery powered movements are very small, leaving plenty of space).

If there's space above your entry door or by an upper corner, that is a natural place for a wall clock - that just might conceal a gun. A shotgun, even a Shockwave or Tac-14, has to be over 26 inches total length (too bad NFA34 put the Ithaca Auto & Burglar out of business). I like the idea of a cabinet that appears to hold interesting things like dirty laundry, but actually opens from both the front and the bottom, dropping your gun into your hands.
Life is too short not to be happy.
Hamilton Felix
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jimbo69ny » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:31 pm

Hamilton Felix wrote:Westy, you will note that when government starts taking away arms, violent crime goes up because criminals are less fearful. This is true not only in Australia, but everywhere. Everyone has the right to protect his life, from criminals and from criminal governments (when your government says you don't need your gun is when you really NEED your gun). The second amendment of our constitution does not give us that right, merely recognizes it. Call it a God-given right if you're religious, a natural human right if you aren't. Whatever the case, it trumps ANY government. Our goal, of course, is for all the good guys to carry guns, so we never have to use 'em. Read the history of Kennesaw, Georgia sometime, starting just before 1982. For that matter, read about Athens, Tennessee in 1946.

I have been thinking of underbed storage for long guns, more for transport than for quick access. But concealment is a priority to me. I'm thinking about underbed storage with a false bottom, then maybe another 3 inches below that.

For quick access, on you is always best. If it's not on you, I'm fine with under the pillow while sleeping. Search the Web and you'll find a variety of clever mantle shelves, cabinets, coffee tables, wall clocks, hollow books, etc. Naturally, everything you see on the Internet has been seen by the bad guys. Use your imagination. On one of our vehicles, I've been thinking of a center console compartment for an inverter, complete with visible wiring, 120VAC receptacle, posted "electrocution danger" warning, etc. Then put the gun underneath it. I think friz makes some good points. My wife has a couple of small S&W Centennials, one stainless, one airweight & magnaported from the Performance Center. They are very compact, simple and reliable. I'm a 1911 guy myself, but have reduced it to 4" barrel and light alloy frame. Somewhere around my house, I still have a plastic wall clock which swings down to reveal the handgun stored behind it (AA battery powered movements are very small, leaving plenty of space).

If there's space above your entry door or by an upper corner, that is a natural place for a wall clock - that just might conceal a gun. A shotgun, even a Shockwave or Tac-14, has to be over 26 inches total length (too bad NFA34 put the Ithaca Auto & Burglar out of business). I like the idea of a cabinet that appears to hold interesting things like dirty laundry, but actually opens from both the front and the bottom, dropping your gun into your hands.

I love it! Well said and great post!
jimbo69ny
Teardrop Master

Postby GTS225 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:03 pm

MODERATOR! Can we split part of this thread off to a different heading?

I'd like to make a comment or two toward Westy"s post, but it starts to drag the thread further off topic. Being guilty already of doing so with this thread, it might be wise to split this.

Thanks for the consideration.....Roger
GTS225
The 300 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:31 pm

There is a lot of historical and modern (Venezuela for one) evidence for the need.

That said, anyone who has built their own tear, knows the nooks and crannies. Lots of them. Quite a few in commercial units too.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion