Small electric heaters

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Small electric heaters

Postby Cosmo » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:11 pm

UPDATE: The $20 Amazon 500 watt heater turned out to not be warm enough (for me) in Zero temps I had to use a 1500 watt heater.
https://youtu.be/wsN0PX8LRik
=Cosmo

I added propane heat to my trailer which is working out fine for off grid . For when grid power is available I started experimenting with small electric heaters. I had a 1000 watt heater but I wanted something smaller that draws less power.

The first one was the Lasko 200 Watt “My Heat Personal heater” This one did not have enough wattage/BTUs to heat the trailer in cold weather. After 3 hours it barley raised the temp 10 degrees. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Q ... UTF8&psc=1

I then searched for and found a web page that figures out how many BTUs are needed for a given space, given insulation and given temperature. Then a conversion of BTUs to watts provided a starting point of 400 to 600 watt heater is needed for the parameters I need.

Your BTUs will vary depending on your climate needs I tried some of the 500 watt heaters and they did work much better. They raised the temp 10 degrees in 1 hour which was acceptable for me. Might get warm enough for me to lounge around in my Spiderman pajamas or whatever else my date picks out. This one was the winner (for me) because it has a thermostat and I wont wake up overheating At $19 its a cheap solution for me. It has tip over shut off for the frisky couple and wrestles sleeper.
=Cosmo

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FJ ... UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Cosmo on Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Re: Small electric heaters

Postby GPW » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:29 am

For many years now , we’ve been using the cheap little “Milkhouse” heaters from Walmart .. There are many versions they offer in all price ranges (?) but the cheapest ones <$20.00 work just fine , and we’ve used them in the Studio ( 900sq ft ) and tested in the FoamStream … never had a problem , except one that was Very Old and got spider webs inside that jammed the thermostat , a little vacuuming the inside and it’s working just fine now ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Karen Clancy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:37 am

We use the Handy Heater I believe it's 300 watt purchased it the Orange big box store . It works pretty good in our 5x8 tear along with a electric blanket keeps us toasty .
Karen Clancy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:48 am

I have a 1500 watt small heater that has a thermostat. It works great, just set it and it keeps the trailer at a comfortable temperature no matter how cold it is outside.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tiiiiii85 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:20 am

Karen Clancy wrote:We use the Handy Heater I believe it's 300 watt purchased it the Orange big box store . It works pretty good in our 5x8 tear along with a electric blanket keeps us toasty .
I was actually wondering about this combination.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
tiiiiii85
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:18 am

Might get warm enough for me to lounge around in my Spiderman pajamas or whatever else my date picks out.

Cos:

Will you (not) post that to Youtube? :frightened: :frightened: :frightened:

T

p.s. Let me hijack your thread for a moment. I see on Westy Venture's Facebook page they tried a small muffler on one of their Propex heaters and liked it. So here's the question, when you're outside and staring at the moon, how noisy is your Propex heater? (A Propex is in my future.)
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:43 am

p.s. Let me hijack your thread for a moment. I see on Westy Venture's Facebook page they tried a small muffler on one of their Propex heaters and liked it. So here's the question, when you're outside and staring at the moon, how noisy is your Propex heater? (A Propex is in my future.)

Tony, maybe GoWesty's PROPEX HEATER INSTALLATION TIPS would be of interest to you.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:23 pm

Esteban wrote:

Tony, maybe GoWesty's PROPEX HEATER INSTALLATION TIPS would be of interest to you.

Thanks, I've read it. They just recently asked if people wanted them to carry the mufflers.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:06 pm

My question (since I have a Proper heater sitting here to be installed) is why not just use the Propex for heat even if you have AC?

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Cosmo » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:07 am

I cam off grid most of the time so the propane heater is a good match for me.
But the rest of the time I pay for campgrounds. Most of these provide free electric hookups and a $20 heater saves propane.
I have not crunched the numbers but it adds up for me.
Its my view augmenting the propane with a small electric heater pays for itself many times each winter.

=Coamo

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby gudmund » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:42 am

the Handy Heaters is still doing just fine. The $10(W-M) Lasko was good also, but depending on your wall plug-in's location, I like the Handy heater better. being there is NO power cord to deal with. The unit just plugs into the outlet and hangs there (and it also has about 100/150watts more in heat output than the Lasko along with it's own thermostat and 2 speed motor - also stores away nicer being again, no power card to deal with) I normally just pre-heat the trailer and than turn it off when I go to bed - just a push of a button on if needed later.
Last edited by gudmund on Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Modstock » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:05 pm

This was a Xmas present a few years ago I received.
Now that I have shore power, I can use it.
Tested today;;;;; it took the trailer from 45° to 60° in 10 minutes.
ImageImageImage

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cosmo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:17 pm

The $20 Amazon 500 watt heater turned out to not be warm enough (for me) in Zero temps I had to use a 1500 watt heater.
https://youtu.be/wsN0PX8LRik

=Cosmo

Cosmo
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion