Bikes in/on tiny trailers?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Bikes in/on tiny trailers?

Postby lfhoward » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:26 pm

Hi all,
I’m wondering what solutions people have found for carrying bicycles along on their adventures. Did you just store them inside your tear/tiny trailer on the way to your campsite, or do you have a more elegant solution? I have a hitch mounted bicycle carrier but of course I can’t use the receiver hitch for that while towing my trailer. My trailer doesn’t have a receiver hitch of its own and if it did, rear mounted bicycles could alter the weight distribution.

I have been looking at camping nearby to some rail trails and there are some really nice places to ride if I can figure out how to take my & my wife’s bikes along.
Thanks!
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Bikes in/on tiny trailers?

Postby John61CT » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:01 pm

Well wherever they are outside changes distribution.

Batteries, water containers can be shifted though.

A receiver could go up front over the A-frame maybe?

Up top maybe a pain.

Convert the bed to Murphy type will help with the dirt issue carrying inside.

You might be able to mount on the side walls?

Them's your choices. . .
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:02 pm

lfhoward wrote:Hi all,
I’m wondering what solutions people have found for carrying bicycles along on their adventures. Did you just store them inside your tear/tiny trailer on the way to your campsite, or do you have a more elegant solution? I have a hitch mounted bicycle carrier but of course I can’t use the receiver hitch for that while towing my trailer. My trailer doesn’t have a receiver hitch of its own and if it did, rear mounted bicycles could alter the weight distribution.

I have been looking at camping nearby to some rail trails and there are some really nice places to ride if I can figure out how to take my & my wife’s bikes along.
Thanks!

Here's what we did on our big month-long adventure two years ago:

That's a swing our rack attached to the rear receiver. That's a heck of a lot of stress hanging back there and I'm not longer an advocate of it. (But it worked.)

On my coming build, I'm going to add a 2" receiver vertically on the tongue and modify a platform bike rack that will sit above the tongue box. I'll be able to slip the rack into the receiver as needed.

Here's what it will look like:

That's from Inca Outdoor's website that is now belly-up. They were an innovative company but went bust. Rumors of down-payments that went out the door. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby edgeau » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:02 am

I have one of these on the TV. You bolt the tow ball through the center plate and then the bike carrier can be used with a trailer attached. As long as you don't have too much on your A frame.Image

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby gudmund » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:28 pm

"....too much on your A-frame" and if you are going to be building your own frame, plan ahead and build the new frame with a 'longer' tongue thus having more room for that bike rack (and ending up with more 'pivoting' room for turns/backing up!! Have always been told - a longer tongued trailer is easier to back up, well with my new one just having a 6 inch shorter tongue than the other one, than thinking that wouldn't be that big of a deal/chance , I now understand now!! - go longer = more tongue room/space and "EARIER" to back up!! (it had been a 4 1/2 ft tongue - now is a 4 ft and !!yes!! it is just a bit harder to back up now than before - always wants to go 'astray' just when you think "I got it!" (What was really fun, was last summer being directed to proceed onto the state's ferry boat only to be stopped on the 'downhill' load-ramp and told to back up and wait for the next boat - and NO!! having to back "up" the ramp and around a corner was NOT fun being the trailer did NOT want to do it!! this one seems to have more of a 'mind' of it's own :lol: than the other had.) Just a suggestion - think longer .......... :thinking:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Modstock » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:42 pm

I picked up some of those fork bike mounts and those are on my roof rack. I use motorcycle tie down straps just to make sure they dont fall over/off.
Kinda a pain to get em up there but no other options. The front wheels can go wherever.
Also have a fold up trailer for our English bulldog. He loves bike rides.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion