What can be done to be a better guest of Mother Nature?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: What can be done to be a better guest of Mother Nature?

Postby Cosmo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:27 am

I always viewed the state of nature as a direct result of my choices. Nature is a good mirror of our choices. To state the obvious only one factor controls everything including the economy, - what people are buying. Everything else is a subcategory.

Our $17 Trillion Economy (GDP) has 3 components
1) 71% Consumer spending (that’s you and me)
2) 20% Government spending
3) 9% Investment

Think you don’t matter? In 2008 spooked consumers decided to delay new car purchases.
Car sales plunged from about 16 million to 9 million. Buick, Oldsmobile Pontiac and Mercury disappeared. GM and Chrysler went bankrupt. GM sold Hummer to a Chinese company. Ford sold Land Rover and Jaguar to Tata an Indian company. A Chinese company bought Volvo. A Chinese-Swedish investment group bought Sabb and went out of business.You can see what happens when the consumer makes a decision about spending.

Point of sale terminals and online sales constantly track the slightest change in our spending and react instantly. No need to wait for legislation. When me and you stop buying something "it" stops being produced. When you examine any corporate behavior - way down at the bottom of their behavior is you and me and what we are buying.

So I am giving up Dawn detergent dish soap and switching to Dr Bonner. This requires me to bring baking soda and vinegar to cut grease on dishes (all of which are eatable and don't produce tumors). But I found they work better (especially in cold water) are cheaper, plus are not a threat to the water sources where I camp. Actually I feel like I gave up nothing and have a good feeling about it. Somewhere in Proctor and Gamble someone is trying to figure out how to lure me back as a customer. When they succeed they will be making frogs, salamanders, fish, turtles, aquatic plant life and my waterways happy too.

When doing my dishes I don't miss Dawns sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laurethsulfate, c12-14-16 dimethyl amine oxide, SD alcohol, sodium chloride,PPG-26, pei-14 PEG-10/PPG-7 copolymer, cyclohexanediamine,phenoxyethanol, magnesium chloride, methylisothiazolinone, fragrance,yellow #5, blue #1 and the industries that produce that stuff. For me it was easy.

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby GTS225 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:55 pm

It's a bit ironically humorous. You try to live in a manner that has relatively low impact on the natural environment, and Mother Nature comes around and blows down a 30-foot evergreen that's been standing in your front yard for more than 40 years. Right down across the street, completely blocking same street, and across the back third of a neighbor's car roof parked at the curb. Got lucky, though. It looks like the tree set down softly, rather than a crashing topple. Hardly a scratch on the car. Got a rather large hole in the yard to fill in, though.
Not exactly the kind of 5am phone call I like waking up to.
Seems as if Momma Nature doesn't give a rat's patootie what we do, or want.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:58 pm

Mother Nature can and will do whatever she pleases; but, if we at least try to be a better guest, maybe she'll let us and those that come after us stay on the earth a while longer. :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:36 am

It would be Nice for the human race to survive long enough to enjoy all the technology and things we've learned in the past million years … or until our intelligent machines replace us … The “ new us” … :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Lucky J » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:00 pm

GTS225 wrote:It's a bit ironically humorous. You try to live in a manner that has relatively low impact on the natural environment, and Mother Nature comes around and blows down a 30-foot evergreen that's been standing in your front yard for more than 40 years. Right down across the street, completely blocking same street, and across the back third of a neighbor's car roof parked at the curb. Got lucky, though. It looks like the tree set down softly, rather than a crashing topple. Hardly a scratch on the car. Got a rather large hole in the yard to fill in, though.
Not exactly the kind of 5am phone call I like waking up to.
Seems as if Momma Nature doesn't give a rat's patootie what we do, or want.

Roger

I hope that what you say is also Ironic.

Cause so many poeple seems to think that be because they finally decide to turn off more light one night, that the oustide weather will be better the folowing morning.

The effect on weather is years in the making and will be years in getting back to normal and even more. Since only a few will slowly change theire habit. It will take a very long while for others to only begin to follow one little step at a time.

Ome straw, one plastic fork, one plastic plate, one big truck or RV, one flight at a time. But many will never let those go willingly.

Just some toughts. :thinking:
Luc Levesque
TD : 2017 Silver T@G Max Outback with upgrade project
TV 1 2005 Unlimited 2005 TJL
TV2 2005 Nissan X-Trail
Lucky J
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:26 am

Sadly the truth is too many people competing for limited resources … :o That doesn’t usually play out well … :frightened:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:37 am

GPW wrote:Sadly the truth is too many people competing for limited resources …

Agreed. Too many people for long term sustainability........
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby GTS225 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:32 am

MtnDon wrote:Agreed. Too many people for long term sustainability........

*************************************************************************************************************

Here's a question for all to ponder; Considering that nature, (or astrophysics), caused the extinction of what was the dominant creature on this planet so many eons ago, maybe MtnDon's statement above is our future? Might it be that "we" are supposed to eliminate our own existence, either by accident or divine design?
:? :thinking: :NC :worship:

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby Modstock » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:48 am

The solar cooking thing I would advise against.
Reflections can cause forest fires. A simple car mirror at the right angle, even a water bottle left in a vehicle has been known to cause damage.

We recently had a RV come in that had a small fire inside.
After much investigation it turned out he had his motorcycle parked in front of the rv, the mirror reflected into the windshield of rv which started the headliner on fire.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:50 am

You know an RV refrigerator scares me a lot more than solar cooking ( we’ve read those stories :frightened: ) … We’ve been solar cooking for many years , and haven’t even burned ourself … More than I can say for all those fires caused by Chinese RV refrigerators … ( read any Non dealer/factory RV forum)

Naturally any cooking should be well observed… No matter what method you use … An oddball motorcycle mirror or bottle incident is no reason to abandon a more efficient way of doing something … and without having to give a lot of money to the RV dealer … :R

You’ll notice RV’s have only One way of doing things … and usually whatever is most profitable for them … There’s one for your extinction list … :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion