What can be done to be a better guest of Mother Nature?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Cosmo » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:33 am

Looking for ideas to lower my impact on nature while camping.

I did the #1 Green thing by not having children. Less humans less problems.
Some of my friends keep suggesting suicide would lower my carbon footprint...

I pickup trash at every campsite and while hiking. I dont get it all but I like to think I am a member of the "Part of the solution club" not "Part of the problem" club.
I drive a fuel efficient car. Once I arrive I use human power travel where practical and fun(boots, bicycle, kayak).
I steer away from heavily packaged goods
I avoid disposable stuff where practical. My sin is paper plates when water is a concern.
I avoid plastic where possible
I am solar which lowers noise and exhaust.
I use only rechargeable batteries in all devices. One Eneloop rechargeable AA saves about $235 and reduces the waste stream.
I refuse to use disposable water bottles. Of all the trash I see - drink bottles are prolific

Any suggestions are welcome. Sorry suicide was already suggested many times. Baw haw haw.

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Re: What can be done to be a better guest of Mother Nature?

Postby gudmund » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:50 am

not to worry, per the 'NEW' NY Congress-woman 'Cortez' - we only got 12 years left, so enjoy :FNP :thinking:
gudmund
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tiiiiii85 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:37 am

Seeing how much you already do, my main suggestion would be using an electric vehicle recharged by renewable energy. Of course I realize it's not easily feasible...

Avoid food which travels from far away or must be grown in green houses. I prefer 0 km food, so I avoid buying garlic coming from China (also because it has no taste) and I try to buy l seasonal fruit and vegetables.

Not related to camping, but if you have space become a bee keeper, bees are dying!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
tiiiiii85
Teardrop Builder

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:02 am

:gas: Don't fart (pass methane gas) it produces emissions. :R
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby GPW » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:56 am

Cosmo’s Right !!!! Everywhere I go there’s trash and drink bottles thrown all about , chicken bones and discarded paper … Just NASTY people !!! :x
If you have Children that you profess to Love so dearly , you’d better help clean things up … or most certainly they will … :o

JMHO … “ Pick up your S*** !!!! It’s not Disneyland eh !!!

I do a lot of what Cosmo does ^ , and I have NO Children … I do it for YOUR Kids !!! It doesn’t even hurt … :R
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GTS225 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:04 pm

Boy, is my opinion at odds with the rest of you. Not because of what I, and we, have been told, but due to what I've seen in the last decade or two.

I'll leave it at that, as the rest of you would probably have to have me banned for my viewpoint.

Roger
GTS225
The 300 Club

Postby Cosmo » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:52 pm

Goodness. Sorry I everyone was looking for actionable Items I could personally do.
If its going to turn into a political hive mind slug fest I would appreciate the moderator deleting the thread.
=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:51 pm

Frugal camping life is already super super low footprint compared to S&B dwellers, just use common sense.

But I agree with others we are too far past the tipping point for individual lifestyle choices to have enough impact.

Put time energy money into fighting for change at the governmental level, internationally coordinated is the only way to reduce / delay the disasters coming.

While we still have such regressive leadership nationally, help support the city and state governments that are trying their best.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:36 am

As long as we remain Civil, there’s no reason we can’t discuss preserving the things we love to do , Like Camping … No reason to argue about politics , we’re all Campers and want the same thing , a nice clean place to camp ...... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GTS225 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:33 am

First, allow me to be a little more succinct, and perhaps clarify my position. I'm not suggesting you not do any of what you already do. What you're doing is more than most, as you camp with a small teardrop, or perhaps a CTC. What your not doing is camping with a motor home, or fifth wheel camper that's 30' or 40' long. (If you'll notice, those outnumber small campers by a large percentage.) No one can expect you to pick up after everybody, though you do try, so what you're doing, I applaud.

Cosmo wrote:[size=150][color=#000080]What can be done to be a better guest of Mother Nature?

Not camp or hike? I don't expect that to happen, as the woods are supposed to be for all of us. But it seems to some that we are supposed to leave that up to the "experts", like Greenpeace, The Sierra Club, Earthfirst, etc., etc. (Sorry, bordering on political.)

Cosmo wrote:I did the #1 Green thing by not having children. Less humans less problems.

A little extreme, to my way of thinking, but that's also a personal choice.

Cosmo wrote:Some of my friends keep suggesting suicide would lower my carbon footprint...

You'll notice that they aren't pursuing their suggestion to you.

Cosmo wrote:I pickup trash at every campsite and while hiking. I don't get it all but I like to think I am a member of the "Part of the solution club" not "Part of the problem" club.
I drive a fuel efficient car. Once I arrive I use human power travel where practical and fun(boots, bicycle, kayak).
I steer away from heavily packaged goods
I avoid disposable stuff where practical. My sin is paper plates when water is a concern.
I avoid plastic where possible
I am solar which lowers noise and exhaust.
I use only rechargeable batteries in all devices. One Eneloop rechargeable AA saves about $235 and reduces the waste stream.
I refuse to use disposable water bottles. Of all the trash I see - drink bottles are prolific
=Cosmo

I would hardly consider paper plates a "sin". After all, they are wood pulp, and fully biodegradable.
Like was already suggested, there's not much more you can do, realistically, and you already do more than most, so I suggest you try not to worry so much about your "carbon footprint", and enjoy your surroundings.

Lastly, allow me this transgression to explain something.
I was in the Navy, in San Diego, when the Exxon Valdez was towed into the National City shipyards for repair. Greenpeace was there, protesting "the world's dependency on fossil fuels" as they put it. What turned me against Greenpeace is that they were "protesting", by driving in circles around the tanker and tugs, in Zodiacs, pushed by outboard motors, burning.........yep, fossil fuels. Now, if they had been out there in canoes, sailboats, and rowboats, I could have formed a different opinion, but they weren't, and that showed me a great deal about how those type of groups think.
This should explain my first post in this thread concerning my statement of what we're told, versus what I, (or we), have seen.

I'll leave it at that.....Roger
GTS225
The 300 Club

Postby Modstock » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:06 am

Those arent friends if they are suggesting suicide.
Other than not littering/picking up other's trash and not having kids, what else can you do ?
Live your life. Gotta keep "L-I-V-I-N"
Screw what the others think.

BTW.. electric cars are not the answer and maybe not run A.C..
My 2¢.

I have to keep reminding my grandma that we dont talk politics while camping.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:23 am

What can be done???

Take a teardrop and leave the generator at home.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:29 pm

I'll 'second' that !!!! :beer: :thumbsup:
gudmund
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:56 am

Probably the most important thing to remember is Not to leave a Mess for the next camper behind you … !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby warnmar10 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:03 am

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift
warnmar10
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to General Discussion