What can be done to be a better guest of Mother Nature?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: What can be done to be a better guest of Mother Nature?

Postby GTS225 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:32 pm

KennethW wrote:I guess I have the disposable propane canister covered. So in the end I have no throw away fuel containers.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Really? You're going to consider yourself an "environmental bad guy" because you might throw away a thin wall steel pressure container? Those are completely biodegradable, although it might take awhile, compared to our human lifespan. Speaking relatively, it's a real short period of time as compared to the age of this rock we live on.
No, you won't hear me bad-mouthing you over a disposable steel propane tank.

See,this is the type of thing that I have a real problem with. Those who make money off of the "green" movement preach up a storm that anything you throw away makes you an environmental monster, and you should feel horribly guilty for ruining "their" planet, and you're all buying into the big guilt trip. Some of them would find fault with you for tossing an apple core onto a compost heap.
I'd be willing to bet that if their lives were investigated, you'd find that they are no different than the rest of us, and they own and drive a "gas guzzler", throw away an average amount of trash, and even (horrors!), buy fluids in plastic or HDPE bottles. Why?.....Because that's the only way you can get the stuff, and they make money off of all of it.

I suggest that the majority of you guys here on this board do more than the talking heads do to save the planet for future generations.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:05 pm

GTS225 wrote:
KennethW wrote:I guess I have the disposable propane canister covered. So in the end I have no throw away fuel containers.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Really? You're going to consider yourself an "environmental bad guy" because you might throw away a thin wall steel pressure container? Those are completely biodegradable, although it might take awhile, compared to our human lifespan. Speaking relatively, it's a real short period of time as compared to the age of this rock we live on.

See,this is the type of thing that I have a real problem with. Those who make money off of the "green" movement preach up a storm that anything you throw away makes you an environmental monster, and you should feel horribly guilty for ruining "their" planet, and you're all buying into the big guilt trip. Some of them would find fault with you for tossing an apple core onto a compost heap.
I'd be willing to bet that if their lives were investigated, you'd find that they are no different than the rest of us, and they own and drive a "gas guzzler", throw away an average amount of trash, and even (horrors!), buy fluids in plastic or HDPE bottles. Why?.....Because that's the only way you can get the stuff, and they make money off of all of it.

I suggest that the majority of you guys here on this board do more than the talking heads do to save the planet for future generations.

Roger
I use kerosene as a cost savings measure. Not necessarily to be green. And in very cold temps propane tends not to vaperize.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GTS225 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:59 pm

KennethW wrote:I use kerosene as a cost savings measure. Not necessarily to be green.

Fair enough, and now that I'm among the ranks of fixed income folks, I'll need to start watching my budget better, as well.

KennethW wrote: And in very cold temps propane tends not to vaperize.

Well, here I have to concede your point. I've experienced that exact problem myself.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby Lucky J » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:05 pm

GTS225 wrote:

Roger

You know that those can be easely recycle right? And at no cost to you. And recycled steel even a small amount is steel that do not have to be mined from the ground.

Just a tought!
Luc Levesque
TD : 2017 Silver T@G Max Outback with upgrade project
TV 1 2005 Unlimited 2005 TJL
TV2 2005 Nissan X-Trail
Lucky J
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Lucky J » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:12 pm

gudmund wrote:"Food for thought" One example of a "common" camping item that I don't think has been mentioned here yet??, and that I see being used that is so "wasteful" - yet can be -"so"- avoided when camping and that is - "Disposable Propane Bottles" And yes!! buying a 1 or 2.5 gallon tank is an $$expensive$$ item to also purchase, BUT when you figure this against the cost of buying the disposable ones (which are 'also' so "$$$$" and keep rising^^even more in $$!!) and being able to re-use a 'bulk' tank for a minimum of 12 years once purchased - the pay back can be a "very" fast $$$ return along with the cost of buying 'bulk' propane being so much cheaper per 'gallon' (not per '0.25' gallon spent$$$!! along with the buying of bottles that end up 'just' being tossed in the 'garbage' - and not even re-cycled!!) - just a thought or two.................... ( :thinking: a 1 gallon tank = 4 disposable bottles / 2.5 gallon tank = 10 disposable ones :thinking: and being used over and over again.................................)

Absolutely agree with you. But for those who feel the urge of using disposable propane or any type of disposable metal can that contain camping fuel, all those metal canister can be recycle. Not in the blue bin at home, but most cities and netal recycle company will take them.

Trowing them away in garbadge, yes, they can rust, but they are no good to anybody, put them side by side with a plastic container in a land fill, they are both polution. Many plastic can be rcycled ans almost any tupe of metal can be recycle.

:)
Luc Levesque
TD : 2017 Silver T@G Max Outback with upgrade project
TV 1 2005 Unlimited 2005 TJL
TV2 2005 Nissan X-Trail
Lucky J
Teardrop Inspector

Postby John61CT » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:56 pm

Propane bottles designed to be safely reused are available in 1# size, with the 1"-20 Coleman valve fitting.

Not expensive.

Refill your 20# propane at a place that charges by the gallon or pound, and it is 90% cheaper than buying disposables.

Much cheaper than any alternative, except twigs.

And much greener.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GTS225 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:49 am

John61CT wrote:Propane bottles designed to be safely reused are available in 1# size, with the 1"-20 Coleman valve fitting.
Not expensive.

Really?! I was unaware of this. Have any contact info where a body might get a few of those?

John61CT wrote:Refill your 20# propane at a place that charges by the gallon or pound, and it is 90% cheaper than buying disposables.

The 90% figure might be a little generous, but a statement that I will concede to, otherwise.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:39 am

GTS225 wrote:Really?! I was unaware of this. Have any contact info where a body might get a few of those?

Manchester's is the best but Flame Kings sold on Amazon, REI, Home Depot elsewhere.

GIYF https://www.google.com/search?q=1lb+propane+refillable

> The 90% figure might be a little generous, but a statement that I will concede to, otherwise.

I pay under $1 / lb from Tractor Supply
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby gudmund » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:56 am

and yes, I have also seen the 're-fillable' version's of the small bottle's for sale at REI being mentioned here - now soon after I saw them, a re-call was issued which took away my interest and this was a few years back (probably 2014/5) and I never did check back into them again, so I do not know what became of the recall outcome pertaining to them?? Also remember them being priced just a bit 'too' much for my spending level at the time (over the years REI has always been my place for 'camping idea' "seeking" before buying somewhere else 'usually' due to $$$'ing ......................
gudmund
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:11 pm

gudmund wrote:and yes, I have also seen the 're-fillable' version's of the small bottle's for sale at REI being mentioned here - now soon after I saw them, a re-call was issued which took away my interest and this was a few years back (probably 2014/5) and I never did check back into them again, so I do not know what became of the recall outcome pertaining to them?? Also remember them being priced just a bit 'too' much for my spending level at the time (over the years REI has always been my place for 'camping idea' "seeking" before buying somewhere else 'usually' due to $$$'ing ......................

I’ve got three of the Flame King refillables. One made the recall list and they replaced it.

Tear #4 will have its own tank.

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:05 am

Burning things is fine but Solar works too and doesn’t burn anything …. OK , it doesn’t work on cloudy days , but is a good sunny day alternative … We have three Solar cookers … One an Oven made from Aluminum foil and cardboard boxes … we’ve cooked Chicken , beans , potatoes and even a cake in that one …. Weighs almost nothing … Cooks quickly enough we don’t have to track the sun ...
Two is a Fresnel lens for quick Frying …. It will Burn Everything if not careful ... Frys Bacon instantly … :o ( * use sunglasses )
Third we have a travel solar cooker , a Car windshield shade ( the shiny aluminum kind) , collapses , weighs nothing , and cooks anything , but is especially good for purifying water and making Coffee … backpack able …

Cloudy days , we eat PB&J sandwiches … :lol:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GTS225 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:31 pm

GPW wrote:Burning things is fine but Solar works too and doesn’t burn anything …. OK , it doesn’t work on cloudy days , but is a good sunny day alternative … We have three Solar cookers … One an Oven made from Aluminum foil and cardboard boxes … we’ve cooked Chicken , beans , potatoes and even a cake in that one …. Weighs almost nothing … Cooks quickly enough we don’t have to track the sun ...

By any chance, did you develop this idea from a magazine called "Home Power"? They used to run an annual contest for home builders, and the winner's plan was adopted for use in third world countries. The idea was to build a solar cooker/oven using common materials that might be found in third world countries.

GPW wrote: Two is a Fresnel lens for quick Frying …. It will Burn Everything if not careful ... Frys Bacon instantly … :o ( * use sunglasses )

Now, that's a heck of an idea, and I happen to have one of those. Salvaged it from an overhead projector I got from a school auction for about $3. Quarter inch thick, and about 12"x12". That thing would probably boil water in short order, too.

[quote+"GPW"]Third we have a travel solar cooker , a Car windshield shade ( the shiny aluminum kind) , collapses , weighs nothing , and cooks anything , but is especially good for purifying water and making Coffee … backpack able … [/quote]

I remember reading an article somewhere, where a guy used an old satellite TV dish, (the smaller ones), and got some self-adhesive, bright finished foil. Stuck it onto the concave surface, and actually made a cooker that was quite effective, as long as the "target" was reasonably close to the focal point of the dish.
Might have to give that a try, too. There's a bunch of unused dishes in yards around the neighborhood.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:17 pm

GTS225 wrote:
GPW wrote:Burning things is fine but Solar works too and doesn’t burn anything …. OK , it doesn’t work on cloudy days , but is a good sunny day alternative … We have three Solar cookers … One an Oven made from Aluminum foil and cardboard boxes … we’ve cooked Chicken , beans , potatoes and even a cake in that one …. Weighs almost nothing … Cooks quickly enough we don’t have to track the sun ...

By any chance, did you develop this idea from a magazine called "Home Power"? They used to run an annual contest for home builders, and the winner's plan was adopted for use in third world countries. The idea was to build a solar cooker/oven using common materials that might be found in third world countries.

GPW wrote: Two is a Fresnel lens for quick Frying …. It will Burn Everything if not careful ... Frys Bacon instantly … :o ( * use sunglasses )

Now, that's a heck of an idea, and I happen to have one of those. Salvaged it from an overhead projector I got from a school auction for about $3. Quarter inch thick, and about 12"x12". That thing would probably boil water in short order, too.

[quote+"GPW"]Third we have a travel solar cooker , a Car windshield shade ( the shiny aluminum kind) , collapses , weighs nothing , and cooks anything , but is especially good for purifying water and making Coffee … backpack able …

I remember reading an article somewhere, where a guy used an old satellite TV dish, (the smaller ones), and got some self-adhesive, bright finished foil. Stuck it onto the concave surface, and actually made a cooker that was quite effective, as long as the "target" was reasonably close to the focal point of the dish.
Might have to give that a try, too. There's a bunch of unused dishes in yards around the neighborhood.

Roger[/quote]Be careful with a dish solar reflect. They can be a REAL fire hazard.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GTS225 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:35 am

KennethW wrote:Be careful with a dish solar reflect. They can be a REAL fire hazard.

***************************************************************************************************************

So can a Fresnel lens, for that matter. Those will actually generate enough concentrated heat to melt a lead pellet, (~650*F), so awareness of what one is doing with them is needed.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:39 am

There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion