Windshield washer pump for galley water?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Windshield washer pump for galley water?

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:30 pm

Those pumps are designed to run for 30 seconds at a time, they probably spray less than 1/2 cup of water at a time. I would be surprised if it didn't melt down within the first gallon of use.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Re: Windshield washer pump for galley water?

Postby jandmz » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:10 pm

GTS225 wrote:
EZ wrote:They replied:

techsupport [email protected]
Hi,

We do not see anything that says it would be safe for that application.
Thank you for your inquiry, and have a nice day.

Brandon

No surprise there really. Still going to try it. I can't believe that there is anything in the pump that is harmful. Famous last words..... :o

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

So, they're admitting that they know nothing about the very product that they manufacture and sell? :frightened: :roll:
I suppose, if nothing else, you could pull a sample and have it tested somewhere.

Roger

Actually, they are saying that their product was not designed for that use, and has not been evaluated for use as a potable water pump. There are requirements that address materials that come in contact with drinking water, mostly to determine that lead and other heavy metals do not leach into the drinking water. The evaluation of a potable water pump requires an extensive test program, and compliant materials that will add to the cost of the pump. A washer pump may or may not contain materials that could result in lead in your water. (Source- I used to work or a company that provided drinking water product certification services for drinking water products and chemicals.)
jandmz
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to General Discussion